PDA

View Full Version : How-to Speed up Your COMPUTER!

footballjds
01-12-2008, 06:07 PM
NOTICE! [WINDOWS XP] !ECITON
Got a slow as hell computer?
Scar ALWAYS lagging? Mostly anything lags? then this TuT is for YOU!
First off, To speed up your computer in general,
Open up the start menu-->, and select -->Control Panel:
http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/41462/2000119876292244537_fs.jpg
When that has loaded double click on System.
once that has loaded click on the advanced category:
http://aycu32.webshots.com/image/38671/2000165497820954737_fs.jpg
Now click settings ( there are three, click the upper most one ).
Now Select "adjust for best performance".
Next while that window is still open click the tab at the top "Advanced".
your screen should now look like this:
http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/39354/2000109144765532015_fs.jpg
Now, Make sure your screen looks like that picture above^^.
Click ok/save and you're done!

Next to speed up scar!
whilst Scar is running hit Cntrl + Alt + Delete. task maneger should apear.
now click the process tab at the top and find Scar in the list.
when you find Scar Right Click on it and select "Set Priority".
Then Select High or Realtime.

NOW YOUR DONE! you computer is at max performance, please note!
you will have to set Scar's priority level each time you close it and reopen it, but you will not have to change the other settings.

Dumpin
01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
doesn't get your computer much faster.. if you really got a bad computer buy a new CPU or do some overclocking.. or just buy a new pc... This is just for little more speed but not much faster..

footballjds
01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
it does increase the speed, try it out.
It's very helpful!

n3ss3s
01-12-2008, 06:41 PM
The picture that I've gotten is that RAM makes a lot difference, and RAM isn't very expensive, so go buy a gig ram and you should be fine for some time :)

Unless your HD or CPU have got some problems.

footballjds
01-12-2008, 06:45 PM
yes, RAM is very nice. also a better processor helps... many kids using SRL use a parents computer. so they cant just buy somthing for it. this is a free method to get max performance!

Runescapian321
01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
-.- Makes vista look horrible lol. (look on the far right esp.)

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7317/vistahorriblewc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It seems like it does make it faster though.

footballjds
01-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Much faster! I've only done it on XP, and the graphics don't change to much. But i can imagine Vista.. lolzerz, anyhow my dad just baught 1gb Ram for this old shit. Which already has 3.0 ghz processor and the speed of ram is 2.6 ghz =p... so another gig of ram will help !
it only has 712 mb ram atm :(

@n3ss3s, Ram and the processor are the only things that really effect speed.
and the speed of your ram... =p
4 gb of ram is pretty good, and not to expensive.
^^ get that if you want SUPER fast.

alos another way to SUPER boost scar's performance(Must only be using SCAR at the time)
is to hit Cntrl + Alt + delete. then go to processes and search for explorer.exe.
And end the process. it takes away your icons from the desktop. along with the start menu. and internet explorer, and my documents. it really boost up everything else. ^-/._.\-^
EDIT: if your wondering how much ram to get. look here:
http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/40624/2005229424071179750_fs.jpg
in that picture the person would need to get about 1 gb of ram to satisfy it.
get the amount it says it uses the hard drive for and youl be in good shape!
if you get more then that it won't really use it to much.

Pur3 x mage7
01-13-2008, 01:56 AM
didnt see much difference:/

Sp0rky
01-13-2008, 02:25 AM
My computer was already set to that for some reason...

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6669/specwq8.jpg

Do you think I need to do that? xD

Also, an actual way of perhaps speeding it up, would be to remove all unnecessary programs, and get yourself some tools (anti spyware +virus, and registry cleaner, etc), aswell as defragmenting.

footballjds
01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
yeah^ also another way to speed it up is killing all unnecessary processes. =p

oliver1205
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
yeah but not my comp looks like shit lol

footballjds
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
It may look like shit. but its faster shit... change it back when your done if you want :cool:

Infantry001
01-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Much faster! I've only done it on XP, and the graphics don't change to much. But i can imagine Vista.. lolzerz, anyhow my dad just baught 1gb Ram for this old shit. Which already has 3.0 ghz processor and the speed of ram is 2.6 ghz =p... so another gig of ram will help !
it only has 712 mb ram atm :(

@n3ss3s, Ram and the processor are the only things that really effect speed.
and the speed of your ram... =p
4 gb of ram is pretty good, and not to expensive.
^^ get that if you want SUPER fast.

alos another way to SUPER boost scar's performance(Must only be using SCAR at the time)
is to hit Cntrl + Alt + delete. then go to processes and search for explorer.exe.
And end the process. it takes away your icons from the desktop. along with the start menu. and internet explorer, and my documents. it really boost up everything else. ^-/._.\-^
EDIT: if your wondering how much ram to get. look here:
http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/40624/2005229424071179750_fs.jpg
in that picture the person would need to get about 1 gb of ram to satisfy it.
get the amount it says it uses the hard drive for and youl be in good shape!
if you get more then that it won't really use it to much.

LOL! You really want to end explorer just for a performance boost? That's no good. If you need to resort to ending explorer to get better performance, your computer is really getting terrible... Whenever you want to speed something up, try ending those useless programs in the background. Not anything run by SYSTEM.

pepijn_
01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I'd say the best way to get ur system fast again, is by making a backup of everything you need, format and re-install.
For the less time expensive way you could also just clean up the register hardly, add some ram (reminder: windows will choose the highest, so if you got a 2gb and a 1gb, it's only using one, place in 2 strips from the same brand and same size).
Then clean up unnesisary things, defrag and it's got alot of power back.

footballjds
01-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Thank you fagot for saying something gay!
enjoy the pic:
http://aycu31.webshots.com/image/39790/2000191889082156258_fs.jpg

mithdollum
01-17-2008, 01:24 AM
ya it did not help me much

footballjds
01-22-2008, 04:11 AM
well mithdollum it helps me. it speeds it up!:D

Crunk_Muffin
01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
that is very effective! BUT, turning SCAR's priority to realtime might crash your computer because it'll run more memory to SCAR then to basic computer function, so keep it on High, or Very high if you must.

tarajunky
01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
My old laptop was feeling really sluggish, so I did a few things.

CCleaner
AdAware
Spyware Search and Destroy
MSConfig --> Turned off all startup programs.
Defragment hard drive
Compacted and defragmented registry and pagefile.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx
Removed ALL ATI Catalyst files.
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=1447
Installed fresh Video card drivers.

It made a huge improvement!

footballjds
01-24-2008, 09:49 PM
^^ yeah but this is more of a quick and easy way to do it. defraging takes YEARS :p

lightningspark
01-25-2008, 12:52 AM
didnt help me much but thanks for the info

footballjds
01-25-2008, 03:57 AM
np! just trying :rolleyes: to help!

Masamunesoul
01-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Defrag may take years but it helps run the hard disk drive run more effeciently (however its spelled. It's late here haha). Do it over night when you're asleep or somethin'.

footballjds
01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
what if i am on at night? lol! i am because i can't be on durring day :[!

AzzA
01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice tut, but it didnt work too well for my computer. Its still a laggy peice of...

Heavenzeyez1
01-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Lol, made my PC a little bit better, but that's something:rolleyes: , thanks.
Eerik.

I Rambozo I
01-25-2008, 11:29 AM
^^ yeah but this is more of a quick and easy way to do it. defraging takes YEARS :p
Not if you defrag often. At my pc a defrag only takes 1-5 minutes. :D

I Rambozo I
01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
My tip to speed up your pc:

Create a new installation CD with a TinyXP Beast Edition ISO on it. Then just reinstall your pc with this fresh version of Win XP on it.
Beast Edition is created to make Win XP run hell fast, and it does.
If you want more information about this; don't be afraid, just give me a PM :rolleyes:

Rambozo.

footballjds
01-25-2008, 04:12 PM
thanks rambozo, but in future try editing not double posting :p

link555
01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
any way that you could make one for vista users?

footballjds
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
if i had a vista, wich luckily i dont :p, np coatchawa, here to help :D

ub3r 1337
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I've just used CCleaner in the past and it's done well. My CPU is a piece of shit so even though I've upgraded to 2GB of RAM it's still as slow as hell. :p Having a decent graphics card is also a good idea.

footballjds
02-02-2008, 12:17 PM
graphics card won't really change speed ub3r, its mainly you processor and RAM

KoKouKo
02-06-2008, 05:39 AM
change the virtual memory thing at the bottom and juts max it out like at 4gbs (it will use 4 gbs of your hd as ram if you got lots of empty space on your hd this wont cause anything negetive)

edit:
that tinyxp best edition is just another version of xp and you can use that on your vista itll just reformat it (i think)

footballjds
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
change the virtual memory thing at the bottom and juts max it out like at 4gbs (it will use 4 gbs of your hd as ram if you got lots of empty space on your hd this wont cause anything negetive)

edit:
that tinyxp best edition is just another version of xp and you can use that on your vista itll just reformat it (i think)

glad to see ppl still reading this :D

Dumpin
02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
hell yeah graphic card makes faster if you game! every full screen gamer should have a nice graphic card...

footballjds
02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
hell yeah graphic card makes faster if you game! every full screen gamer should have a nice graphic card...

if you game, but other wise its no difference to speed :duh: :)

Da 0wner
02-07-2008, 12:28 AM
this helped me lol...my comp was so slow but now it is much faster. a single line script took like 5 seconds to even run the command.

Edit: Dunno lol it just does that the first first time you run ANY script then it went fast =]

p.s nice fletcher!
what script you use 2 apply for SRL mem?

footballjds
02-07-2008, 04:10 AM
ouch, thats VERY slow, processor speed? ram?:p

rkroxpunk
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
4gb won't make your computer run faster just the amount of programs your computer can handle. GFX card will speed you up in game. Virtual RAM does absolutely nothing, don't bother with it. Also to the guy who had 2GB of RAM and still had a slow as computer, you have to have the processing memory to back up your RAM. e.g. you could have 4gig of RAM and like 1.6 in CPU and your computer would still suk bawlz :D

FNM
02-07-2008, 11:10 AM
My old laptop was feeling really sluggish, so I did a few things.

CCleaner
AdAware
Spyware Search and Destroy
MSConfig --> Turned off all startup programs.
Defragment hard drive
Compacted and defragmented registry and pagefile.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx
Removed ALL ATI Catalyst files.
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=1447
Installed fresh Video card drivers.

It made a huge improvement!

Omfg... I Only did ccleaner and ad aware and my computer is already floating! im going to do the same as yours.

footballjds
02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Omfg... I Only did ccleaner and ad aware and my computer is already floating! im going to do the same as yours.

glad this is still helpful to people, it seemed to go dormant for a while ;)

serraog
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
If you have an older, slower computer making SCAR a higher priority task is not going to help much. Some things that will:

Upgrading RAM and CPU
Clearing HD space
Scanning for viruses/spyware (hopefully you don't have any viruses)
Running only SCAR and rs whenever possible

On a bigger, faster system footballjds tips could help quite a bit. But when you are stuck with a slower system, prioritizing resource allocation isn't going to help much.

footballjds
02-08-2008, 03:37 PM
If you have an older, slower computer making SCAR a higher priority task is not going to help much. Some things that will:

Upgrading RAM and CPU
Clearing HD space
Scanning for viruses/spyware (hopefully you don't have any viruses)
Running only SCAR and rs whenever possible

On a bigger, faster system footballjds tips could help quite a bit. But when you are stuck with a slower system, prioritizing resource allocation isn't going to help much.

like you said, you can't do much with shit, but itl help :D

Jakob S.
02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
i've speeded up my computer by just defragmentation and clean your harddiscs.. helped alot!

footballjds
02-24-2008, 12:16 AM
yes, that will help :D, also ccleaner is good .:D

KoKouKo
02-27-2008, 04:16 AM
How do you make your computer float?

HellBoyz
02-27-2008, 04:24 AM
well the tut was nice but to actually boost the PC speed you have to close some of the background service running in which some services was act like a junk like windows time, automatic update, security center, error reporting service and etc...

footballjds
02-27-2008, 04:44 AM
How do you make your computer float?

air compressor ;)

@hell yeah ;)

HellBoyz
02-27-2008, 04:48 AM
i think you better make it more reliable instead of just change the memory usage and program usage now...

I Rambozo I
02-27-2008, 06:17 AM
Just get a job and buy a new pc.
This really isn't going to help you out alot.

FrÕzÑ_§ÕµL
02-27-2008, 06:47 AM
I use TweakNow Powerpack - Reg Cleaner, Reg Defrag, Disk Cleaner, Disk Defrag, internet optimization, track cleaner, startup manager (prefer msconfig though), Process manager, in depth computer info windows and system optimizers, RAM Optimizer.

Extra Features - Auto shutdown, CD Autorun, Folder Size Analyzer, OEM Info, Special Shortcuts, Virtual Desktop (enables switching between 4 different desktops, each with different desktop items and processes - 4 t3h pr0nz ^^)

Also I notice you tell people to close explorer.exe. Did you then tell them how to run it again lol?

What you do is:
Go to task manager
click File -> New Task
Type explorer.exe

And thats it :D

Next : Get TinyXP and totally FTW!

omnitrophe
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
For some reason, following this guide slowed my computer down dramaticully. Maybe it's because I had to lower the "total paging file size for all drives"? (and did it)

exppo
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Wowza's thanks for the excellant [TUT[
I tried it out, had to try twice to be honest ;)
But eventualy it sped it up quite A bit, also like N3ss3s said more RAM = Faster only because there is more room for the data to be stored, but thanks anyways

exppo :)

jon_071
03-06-2008, 10:56 PM
This honestly doesn't speed up your computer too much. Unless you have Vista... but why would you have Vista?

http://www.tune-up.com/download/tu2008/

THAT will maximize your performance.

Also, download CCleaner and AdAware (both free :google: ) and run those.

Last but not least, download ShellEx

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

You know when you right-click and things come up like, (examples) MagicIso --> or Scan with Spy Sweeper or Edit with Dreamweaver?

Well open ShellEx and scroll to the right until you see M in a column... expand it, see it stands for Microsoft. Click that column and disable all shell extensions that aren't Microsoft.

^That actually speeds up your computer, try it^

thematpan
03-07-2008, 02:04 AM
ya it makes it run bit faster. but i dont like the look

Federation
03-21-2008, 06:26 PM
mine was already set to that
meh
and mine kinda blowssssss.
:P

footballjds
03-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Just get a job and buy a new pc.

;) i love everyone telling others to "get a life", "get a job" its so true :D

Keisari
03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Defraggin is prolly the best way to speed up your computer, tho it takes really long time, wich is in my opinion so boring that I can't bother to do it, but if you really want to defrag your computer, I recommend getting O&O defrag, and if your computer aint that powerful, I recommend using the method mentioned in this post also for max performance. But The Best way to keep your computer at "high speed" is to run regular defrags, Anti virus scans, Spyware scans, and I don't know if its still used, but ScanDisk used to be really good one for it also.

footballjds
03-24-2008, 02:21 AM
yeah scan disk is still used ;)
when you right click on the local disk go to tools then "error-checking" its scanDisk with a new name :D

Keisari
03-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Ah.. Now that is some new info :) Didn't know that it has been renamed, thanks ;)