PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a .bat file into .exe and how can I add programs to startup?

JAD
01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Didn't know where to post this.

This is going to sound like I'm doing something that I'm really not :p

But I was wondering how I can convert a batch file into a .exe file? And I also wanted to know how you can add any program (if it's even possible) to the startup thing on msconfig (so the program starts up each time you restart the computer automatically.)

Thanks.

R0b0t1
01-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I think there is a 'Shared' startup folder, called just that, and an autoexec.bat file in the WINDOWS directory.

JAD
01-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I think there is a 'Shared' startup folder, called just that, and an autoexec.bat file in the WINDOWS directory.

K, I'm technology declined (self proclaimed), so you may need to be a little more specific than that :p

I searched for the 'Shared' folder and I found it, but the only thing in that is a cursors folder that has the cursors in it for the mouse.

I'm searching "autoexec" right now, but nothing with that name has popped up except things without a .bat extension.

Any more specifying would be appreciated :)

GoF
01-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Batch... Mmm... h4x0r.

Make it execute on startup.. Just make a shortcut to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

or just copy it there... Should work.

And .bat to .exe ... There should be quite lot of programs to do that, but there's also loads of crappy malware sources on the internet in just about all languages incase youre planning to make something like

@ECHO OFF
*copying to startup and crap*
:lolhax
start notepad.exe
start mspaint.exe
goto lolhax

JAD
01-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Batch... Mmm... h4x0r.

Make it execute on startup.. Just make a shortcut to

or just copy it there... Should work.

And .bat to .exe ... There should be quite lot of programs to do that, but there's also loads of crappy malware sources on the internet in just about all languages incase youre planning to make something like

@ECHO OFF
*copying to startup and crap*
:lolhax
start notepad.exe
start mspaint.exe
goto lolhax

not a h4x04 :p

but you're saying if I put a .exe program in:

then when I hit the restart button on my computer, the computer will restart, and it will automatically start the program then, without any human double clicking or doing anything?

And might you be able to give me a link to a .bat to .exe converter (without viruses in it preferably).

Thanks a lot for the help :)

R0b0t1
01-21-2008, 03:01 AM
You need to create autoexec.bat. Lol.

JAD
01-21-2008, 03:22 AM
You need to create autoexec.bat. Lol.

I'm ready to get flamed and called a lot of names... lol.

I need to create an autoexec.bat file where? What should it contain? And why? So confused... lol.

I need more of a small tutorial than I need you just telling me what to do; I need a map.

Daniel
01-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Here's (http://www.bdargo.com/) one i use when converting bat to exe (No i didn't just search it up on Google). It is very good and you learn a lot from it.

JAD
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Here's (http://www.bdargo.com/) one i use when converting bat to exe (No i didn't just search it up on Google). It is very good and you learn a lot from it.

OK sweet! thanks.

Still need more help/specifying on how to add programs to the startup.

Markus
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Few ways, easiest way is, in your start menu, there is this folder called Startup.
If you put a file in there, Windows will execute it every time you start the computer.

R0b0t1
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
You put autoexec in the windows folder, right after your drive letter. You can put any batch commands you want in it.

Anything else?

Oh... To run stuff,

start "Location of file"
OR
"Location of file"

JAD
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Few ways, easiest way is, in your start menu, there is this folder called Startup.
If you put a file in there, Windows will execute it every time you start the computer.

C:/windows/system32/config/systemprofile/start menu/programs

I searched for it and there were a lot that popped up, wasn't sure which one it was. Does that location sound about right?

Markus
01-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I was thinking more of c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\startup or something like that.
You can get the right folder by rightclicking the starrt button, then click explore (second option).

JAD
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I was thinking more of c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\startup or something like that.
You can get the right folder by rightclicking the starrt button, then click explore (second option).

Lol, I think I'm stupid.

I right clicked Start and hit explore and theres 2 things there: a folder named Programs, and a short cut called More Great Games.

I tried going to the location you said, but when I clicked on Start Menu, there was only 1 folder called Programs, and there were like 10 other programs in it like windows update and america online 8.0...etc.

I'm not sure what folder to put the programs that I want to run on startup :confused:

Thanks for all the help so far though, I'm just directionally/technology declined lol.

Markus
01-21-2008, 06:31 PM
In the programs folder there should be the startup folder.

JAD
01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
In the programs folder there should be the startup folder.

K, found it. So anything I put in there will start on the startup of the computer automatically?

Daniel
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
K, found it. So anything I put in there will start on the startup of the computer automatically?
Either put the whole file or a shortcut to the file. Restart your system the safe way (Not by the button on the tower).

JAD
01-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Use C, invoke system calls with the files you want to be ran. Duh?

I don't even know what invoke system calls means lol :p

I'm not good with computers, I'm just good at languages.

Thanks everyone! Think I got it :)