PDA

View Full Version : Scary Idea...

Hurgymcgurgygurg
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
First off, I must say, this is my second thread. So be nice okay? ;)

Well, we all know JaGex is one paranoid company with these recent updates. Sadly, that has also made me paranoid, and I started thinking...

If you read JaGex's terms and conditions, they state that they do not collect information from you, as in install trackers on your computer. Now, what scared me is that they also make a mention that their advertisers are free to collect information. So this is where my paranoia comes in, bare with me...

What if JaGex lets one of the ads they display install a tracker, for that advertiser of course... Now, JaGex isn't breaching their terms and conditions. However, could they not, then ask that advertiser to release the information they got to them?

If you don't get what I'm saying here, let me give a scenario.

You click one of the Rs ads. You get a tracker. It tracks you going to many websites, among those are, oh I don't know.... SRL and Spork-eh....

JaGex then ask this advertiser for there records. Looks at them, sees this computer using this IP created these accounts, figures they must be breaking some rules, and just bans them all for whatever reason they want?

Sorta scary, but then again I am a noob to this and this is entirely un-likely.

If this does not work, please tell why, I'm a newb, and newbs want to learn!

King of the Nites
02-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Do you actually click on the ads though? I think maybe like 1/100000 people on runescape click those ads and then you also have to wonder if they actually cheat in runescape. It will turn out to be about 1/999999999 people!

Just don't click the ads!:p

ZaSz
02-12-2008, 04:37 AM
I don't think that. You have to look at advertisers terms and conditions?

Runescapian321
02-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Wait a min... They say they don't collect info? Well, this might be a bit different but what about the random.dat file they plant on your computer? Woudln't that be collecting info? :p

Otherwise I agree with king of the nites, 20% of people block them, out of the 80% probably like 5% click on them, out of that 5% probably only like .5% visit sites Jagex wouldn't like. And I doubt they would go through getting the info from the advertisements' companies just to catch a hundred people over a few years.

GoF
02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Wait a min... They say they don't collect info? Well, this might be a bit different but what about the random.dat file they plant on your computer? Woudln't that be collecting info? :p

I think they're allowed to collect info about their own game or characters you use in their game... So the terms and conditions most likely mean like irl info and what you do with your computer besides play RS.

red eyes 20
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
just block the ads, not like your already cheating? there's a good tut on ad blocking some where. just search srl for it =)

lakerzz8
02-13-2008, 01:29 AM
When I use firefox ads don't show up. When I use the runescape.exe client, ads come up as do not display pages. And when I use SMART there are no ads. So I am safe.

TheSantaMan
02-13-2008, 03:34 AM
I think what there merely saying is that the advertisers are allowed to gather information when you enter it, or use those ads. So just don't use the ads. :)

plus it's pretty hard for them to just ad a tracker lol. Unless you don't have secuirety

cheater95
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I think they can get arrested for that because they are tracking your computer and some of you may have some STUFF on it, maybe videos or sites ;) , and some personaly stuff other then that like some people might keep their credit card number on there. Jagex would be pretty much hacking your computer so I do beleive it is illegal.

Lee Lok Hin
02-16-2008, 04:43 PM
may have some STUFF on it, maybe videos or sites

t3h pr0nz?

Anyway, i think you are just being over paranoid. Jagex isnt that bad...

Harry
02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
They are allowed to use the random.dat because you hit accept on the Java load RS thing.

Lee Lok Hin
02-16-2008, 05:38 PM
may have some STUFF on it, maybe videos or sites

t3h pr0nz?

Anyway, i think you are just being over paranoid. Jagex isnt that bad...

Edit: I am soo sorry about this double post, i think my internet lagged, so i clicked post twice, as i said, sorry

lakerzz8
02-16-2008, 06:44 PM
^I'm pretty sure you can click edit and delete...Now I know for a fact you can. Click edit and then the delete button to the left of cancel. And your computer lagged 1 hour?

Gathering information by advertisers would be gathering the information regarding what your purchase online so they can target you with more relevant ads.