PDA

View Full Version : Send us your specs!

WhoCares357
05-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Original Post (http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1197)

When planning future projects or attempting to really push the technology of the RuneScape game, we often come across the same problem: we have no information about everyone's computer hardware. With this kind of information, we could release more RuneScape improvements that make the best use of your system's capabilities.

We have come up with a solution that we'd like you to help us with. We have developed a program that, once downloaded, will tell us the following things about your computer:

* Your operating system
* Your graphics card
* Your CPU
* Your Java version
* Relevant graphical and audio drivers

Once we've gathered together all of this information, we can begin planning our future projects and RuneScape improvements to work within these specifications. This means that very few people will miss out on some awesome updates that we have planned!

To begin downloading the program, visit this link (https://speccollect.runescape.com/agreement.ws) and log in. It will guide you through an agreement page to make sure that you understand what is required. The process does not take long, so you should be back to RuneScape in no time.

The applet is completely secure and official (you can verify this by checking that your address bar states www.runescape.com/). We can guarantee that your information will only be used by Jagex to develop future games and improve RuneScape. It will not be shared with any other organisations.

NOTE - Please only download the program from RuneScape.com. This is the only legitimate source.

Click here to download the program. (https://speccollect.runescape.com/agreement.ws)

Do you think Jagex will develop a better graphics system?

Waddo
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
possibly but they dont need us to install that to do it

every one who even visits thier home page
they already get all them details and also ip and stuff this will just be spy ware to view scripts and stuff

why did you change my post =[ i was trying to warn every one lol

but oh well

Laur€ns
05-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Warning!

It tried (atleast for me) to have acces to:

C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Menu Start\Programma's\
C:\Documents and Settings\Laurens\Local Settings\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\Laurens\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\
C:\Documents and Settings\Laurens\Local Settings\Temp\History
C:\.jagex_cache_32
C:\Program Files\
C:\WINDOWS\
C:\WINDOWS\Temp

D:\Program Files
E:\Program Files

And why should you login for something like this? I wouldn't risk it, and I blocked the sendings just in time (I hope)

Dracody
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Warning!

It tried (atleast for me) to have acces to:

C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Menu Start\Programma's\
C:\Documents and Settings\Laurens\Local Settings\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\Laurens\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\
C:\Documents and Settings\Laurens\Local Settings\Temp\History
C:\.jagex_cache_32
C:\Program Files\
C:\WINDOWS\
C:\WINDOWS\Temp

D:\Program Files
E:\Program Files

And why should you login for something like this? I wouldn't risk it, and I blocked the sendings just in time (I hope)

How can you know what files was it trying to acces?

Laur€ns
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Firewall.. Firefox plugin Tamper Data etc.

Dan Cardin
05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
i think that they're planning to do something of the sort. Isnt spyware, like...illegal? anyways, putting spyware on people's computer isnt the kind of thing that i would see them doing, because they need to output some better graphical stuff if they're actually having people install a program

Waddo
05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
oh spyware is ilegAL UNLESS YOU ARE AWARE YOU HAVE IMNSTALLED IT

eg the disclaimer thing

microsoft and that does it like when you open word sometimes

and yes they will improve the graphics anyway but they are only using that as a cover up

Mistran
05-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Seriously people, you can not use a java applet to install spyware, turn the paranoia down a bit

Waddo
05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Seriously people, you can not use a java applet to install spyware, turn the paranoia down a bit

rofl it is not the java applet it is a link to the program which collects your computer data

Mistran
05-06-2008, 08:15 PM
rofl it is not the java applet it is a link to the program which collects your computer data

Nope, it's a java applet, same as runescape is. I'm currently having a look through it and can't see anything 'suspicious'

Edit:
If anyone else wants a look here's the link
http://rapidshare.com/files/113053772/speccollectapplet_1210101230954.jar.html

From what I've seen so far its checking your java vendor, wither you're using an Intel or AMD processor and if you are running a 32 or 64 bit operating system.

Also seems to count how many processors you have, what OS you're running, what version it is, what version of java you're running, what country you're from, you're language settings, how many monitors you have, how much memory you have and you're screen resolution and refresh rate.

Hmm... It does look for a random.dat but all jagex's applets do that and no one here should have one anyway

WhoCares357
05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Agreed with Mistran. But has anyone even read the disclaimer?

Waddo
05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
nope lol

whats random.dat?

edit:

i might write a text fiel full of abuse to jagex and save it as ranodm.dat

and donwload program rofl

lakerzz8
05-07-2008, 02:39 AM
nope lol

whats random.dat?

edit:

i might write a text fiel full of abuse to jagex and save it as ranodm.dat

and donwload program rofl

Jagex doesn't actually read that file...its the way they keep track of how many accounts play on one computer. Their file is encoded so if you open it all you see is something like []. And I can't believe you have been at SRL for more than a week and don't know what random.dat is...:duh:

Waddo
05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
why cant you believe that i dont care much for jagex files

lakerzz8
05-09-2008, 03:11 AM
why cant you believe that i dont care much for jagex files

Considering that file is very important when it comes to macroing, I would think someone that macroes would know what it is...You don't care much for Jagex files but you'll be the one making a thread "zOMG!11 im banned!!11" when you forget to clear your random.dat.

Waddo
05-09-2008, 08:42 AM
rofl i aint never cleared it and only ever had 1 account banned

lol if i get banned i get banned i dont really care

and i script more than i macro anyway

Baked0420
05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
oh wow, I feel stupid now, I didn't know what it was. I think I saw someone mention random.dat once, I think about multi-logging, but anyway, I'm going to clear it now, don't think its a big risk though, i been macroing for a month and never got anything, possibly flagged but I don't know, even though a month isn't really that long, they still could've caught on by now.