PDA

View Full Version : Is it safer to use Unsigned Applet?

solarwind
10-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Is it safer to use Unsigned Applet?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to doing that?

Yakman
10-24-2006, 10:10 AM
well, the unsigned applet runs in the sandbox, it cant store any files on your computer, this is good because there might be some places we dont know about were it stores files

the disadvantage is that every time you go past a loading screen, it takes a while because it has to load the whole area from the server

MoparIsTheBest (who really likes java) always told people to use the unsigned applet, i dont know a lot about java and i get the feeling he knows something about it we dont.

ruler
10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
well currently the only reason is uid being stored on your computer, if you are deleintg this then signed is fine but the signed has more potential for traps we havn't found. I personally use unsigned.

testje
12-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Im testing RuneScape in VMWare, in a clean instalition, and then compare the clean one with the one I played RuneScape on. This way I can see all places where it stores files.
Im currently ALWAYS autoing signed, and I do not switch UID's, I ionly have not that good accounts, my best is mining 42, but combat only 14...

Bramble
12-11-2006, 10:39 PM
what if you just use an unsigned applet when your macro'ng or while your on your macro-helped accounts? so that way while your playing on your main guy you have no speed loss?

sythe
12-15-2006, 10:00 AM
The only difference between the signed and unsigned is really the local data cache. The only part of this that makes a difference to us is uid.dat.

Delete that between sessions and you will have no problem using the signed applet.

They provide no software license that I know of, so injecting files into places other than the file store would be illegal. It would also be stupid, because if word got out that the game was malware they would be ruined overnight.

So I seriously doubt there is anything nasty in the signed client. As I said, delete the uid between sessions and you should be fine.

native77
02-07-2007, 07:52 AM
does that mean you need to delete it after every time yo ulogg out and swtich worlds? I mean what if you are doing an insane amount of world hopping like - like very minute or 2. Should i delete the file after before i logg back into another world?

omgh4x0rz
02-12-2007, 12:33 PM
How do I delete the UIDs?

Wizzup?
02-12-2007, 12:57 PM
How do I delete the UIDs?

System Disk > WINDOWS > .jagex_ store_32 (or .file store_32) > uid.dat (delete it)

omgh4x0rz
02-12-2007, 01:44 PM
thanks

Hobbit
02-13-2007, 04:55 AM
hey i got a question...i macro on unsigned and on my main i use signed to be less suspicious....if i stilll have my uid while im useing unsigned will they still pick it up?

Wizzup?
02-13-2007, 07:13 AM
hey i got a question...i macro on unsigned and on my main i use signed to be less suspicious....if i stilll have my uid while im useing unsigned will they still pick it up?

Maybe be read..but they can't write in the uid when you are using signed.

Yakman
02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe be read..but they can't write in the uid when you are using signed.

a java applet cant access or change files one your computer, its a big security no-no, otherwise someone could make an applet that deletes all your files and spread the link around

the only way is to 'sign' the applet, meaning to make a popup saying 'would you like to run the signed applet?' which warns people of the possible dangers

in general, unsigned applet means they cant read or write to any file on your computer

Hobbit
02-14-2007, 03:36 AM
a java applet cant access or change files one your computer, its a big security no-no, otherwise someone could make an applet that deletes all your files and spread the link around

the only way is to 'sign' the applet, meaning to make a popup saying 'would you like to run the signed applet?' which warns people of the possible dangers

in general, unsigned applet means they cant read or write to any file on your computer

ok so if i macro with unsigned they can't see the uid from my main?

regecks
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Yes, it's safer, as mentioned above with the UID file etc.

However, notice that there is the possibility that running the unsigned applet 100% of the time may draw attention to your account (new UID every login for the same user, yes?).

If you only auto one account I'd say it'd be safer to stick with the signed applet.

Avaphi
02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes regex but SRL is all about multi account :\ Perhaps a scar plugin that hacks the uid for multiple UIDS on login *thinks about making it*

Yakman
02-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes regex but SRL is all about multi account :\ Perhaps a scar plugin that hacks the uid for multiple UIDS on login *thinks about making it*

FreddyPlugin already has a procedure called DeleteUID? it should be in SetupSRL and LoginPlayer

roM3
02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
FreddyPlugin already has a procedure called DeleteUID? it should be in SetupSRL and LoginPlayer

Does it delete this-->
System Disk > WINDOWS > .jagex_ store_32 (or .file store_32) > uid.dat

Or only working for (.file_store_32) folder..

Dark_Sniper
02-16-2007, 08:14 PM
ok so if i macro with unsigned they can't see the uid from my main?

to answer your question yes it should be just fine.

you can macro with unsigned with a uid of your main.. like yakman said it cannot read the uid with unsigned nor write in the uid...

so it means your perfectly safe with macroing unsigned and playing legit signed :p

Hobbit
02-17-2007, 01:26 AM
ok good :D then i am unstopable muahahahahahaha@!

Mjordan
02-17-2007, 01:28 AM
oh ok thanks this cleared a few thing up that i was wondering about. so the only reason to auto unsigned is because they cant read my uid?

Hobbit
02-17-2007, 01:38 AM
so the only reason to auto unsigned is because they cant read my uid?
also they cant give u uid and it they can only see a general ip.. not specific computer...like so for all they know it could be from any computer ...cause if u look when u sign in on unsigned applet at the top where i says ur ip is will only say, example: 342.34.0.343 and if u sign in on signed applet it will say something like, example: 342.34.0.343.bcshia.telus.net

Mjordan
02-17-2007, 01:40 AM
oh ok thanks hobbit

cause
02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
I've got a question, I opened up Uid.dat in notepad and deleted everything in there (about 3-4 weird characters) and set it to read only, is this ok?

Smartzkid
02-19-2007, 05:59 PM
sounds good, but it might give you an error that it is "unable to access the cache" or something...

cause
02-23-2007, 01:10 AM
nope, but I've decieded to just keep deleting for safety's sake!

Fearlesssss
05-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I use signed for my main and unsigned for all the others, just delete UID sometimes and you won't get IP banned;)... Also don't directly trade between your autoer <> main.

radioactive_werewolf
05-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Just now when I was messing around with the notion of changing UID's when switching characters whilst running a script I noticed that the UID only gets written or even read the first time that you log in to that runescape applet. What I had done was log in signed then log out and delete the UID then I logged in again with a different character in the same applet and checked for a new UID but there was none there. I did that several times with several different characters and every time I went to check for new UID having been created to fill in for the one that I had deleted there wasn't one. I then proceeded to try the quick world switching from within the applet and the results were the same.

Based on this I surmise that once it has read or created the UID when you first log into the applet that it stores your UID in memory until you close the applet. I would assume that this holds true of the unsigned version and even though nothing is stored on your computer with unsigned that the same UID would be used for every character you log into as long as the applet is running. This would mean that even if you are using unsigned that all of your characters used during that macroing session would all be associated with the same UID.

So if I'm right you're no better off using unsigned than you are deleting your UID after every macroing session

omgh4x0rz
05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
This would mean that even if you are using unsigned that all of your characters used during that macroing session would all be associated with the same UID.

They don't give you a UID at all when you macro unsigned. So yes, it is still safer.

Starblaster100
05-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I've always autoed on the signed applet, and have never been banned.

*Shadow*
05-20-2007, 10:12 PM
what about setting the uid file as read only?

radioactive_werewolf
05-21-2007, 02:43 AM
They don't give you a UID at all when you macro unsigned
They obviously don't give you any sort of a UID file on your computer but can you say for certain that a UID isn't loaded into your computer's RAM just the same way that everything else is when you use unsigned?

PwNZoRNooB
05-21-2007, 04:52 AM
I think it's fine to macro on both, just delete the UID after every session, like Starblaster said

I've always autoed on the signed applet, and have never been banned.
:)