PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto IV

andrewrox424
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
One of the most anticipated games of the high definition era and possibly the new century. Grand Theft Auto IV has been out for a while now, but considering there wasn't a thread, and I have some things to question on the game I decided to make one.

Overall, the game is great, its rather smooth, seamless gameplay really shows that Rockstar has taken the time into perfecting this game. At release you saw all the 10/10 reviews. Thats because it was at release the people reviewing had only played a few hours max and hadn't really gotten into the heart of the game. In my opinion it would get around a 8.5 or a possible 9/10.

This is because of these reasons:

Clothes shops: In a rpg/sandbox game, I look for uniqueness, and since theres only 3 shops, and the only buy able hats are Russian hats, and the only buy able glasses look like they're from the 80's era it isn't really different. There were more shops in San Andreas, so I believe this is a step backwards.

Cars: The amount of cars on the road is spectacular, it looks great. But it gets a tad annoying when your doing max speed on a motorbike over a bridge and some idiot decides to change lanes for no apparent reason! You get knocked off your bike and possibly die.. not great fun in my opinion! Also, you will just see them spawn 'out of the dust' on a road, its really off putting and annoying.

Internet: The ingame internet is one of the most annoying 'filler' features ever. There are ads to buy cars, but can you buy these cars? NO! There are online shops to buy furniture, can you buy these? NO! There are places to get girlfriends can you take them on a date (exemption of 3 of them) NO!

Tuning of Cars: In San Andreas, you were able to tune up lowriders, in GTAIV this is not seen. I have no idea why... maybe a further download or patch? ;) . But its annoying, because you can drive these awesome cars, but you cant get them painted the colour you want. This also leads to more stealing of cars, which I think is overdone in the GTA series (despite the name :)) I want to be able to look after my car and perhaps keep it for the length of the game. I have since resorted to car cheats because it just got too much for me to handle.

Now for some positives:

Realistically: I love how realistic the game is, in the first 5 minutes of playing, I saw two cars crash, this was followed by the drivers getting out and having a brawl, this followed onto the first puncher being taken away in a police car. This amazes me, and is only one example of the game.

Mission Length and Difficulty: I found most missions took me more than 5 minutes, which is way better than the previous gta games. One mission (which involved robbing a bank) took me about 20 - 30 mins! And another mission took me more than 6 tries! I'm not saying the missions are hard, but they are challenging. I even bought the strategy book, which to my annoyance cost me $40 probably due to importation costs.

These are only a few points on why the game is great, i wouldn't say it is excellent, but it is great. 9/10

kor
06-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I really want to try this game :p Looks and seems to be awesome ;) And i really like the part where you saw two cars crash, sweet.