PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2:Deathmatch Review

Jackrawl
07-01-2008, 01:52 AM
My Specs:Intel 2.4GHz, nVidia GeForce 5500, 1GB RAM

Don't buy it. It was interesting for about an hour, and I feel I still didn't get my moneys worth even after getting it free.

Basically, it is a very repetitive First Person Shooter. You go online, and the first thing you notice is that the map download speed is terrible, and connection issues can become frequent.

The second thing you notice is that you spawn with guns. Now this might not be unusual, but if you like CStrike like me, you're going to be HIGHLY disappointed. You have to run around looking for gun spawns, hoping that there isn't a moron camping them with whatever.

Amongst the weapons you do not spawn with is the RPG(Rocket Propelled Grenade) and it is the most retarded(est) thing that Valve has ever invented. You get remote controlled missiles that are basically impossible to miss with that kill you instantly. Another is a Magnum, that for some odd reason, is used to snipe with. It as well gets a one hit kill, and unless you're blind, you're going to get at least 8 kills for every time you find one.

Now theoretically, thats great and fun, except since you wait 5 seconds each time you die, you'll find yourself like the angry German kid. You might approach it saying "Well they can get a Magnum/RPG too," but the fact is is that with random player spawns and bad map making, it can be very difficult to find a good gun. Most servers have spawn and chat protection, but that doesn't keep it from getting retarded.

After about two hours of gameplay, I found that I was approaching the game poorly. I'm used to aiming and firing in bursts, you know, having recoil and not being Rambo. In this game you find yourself in a situation not too different from Command and Conquer Renegade, where you hold your finger on the trigger and hope you hit. Reloading is fast, and you don't have to have eyes to win the game - all you need is a blindfold and three fingers! One for 'a', one for 'd,' and one for left click! Woopee!

The people are not that much fun to deal with. Most of the ones that own mics are hillbillies and intend to rape them. The server admins do NOT know what they're doing, and it is pathetic to see them struggling to ban the random hacker. The only way commands they know concern godmode, jackass pranks, and map changing. If they aren't hillbillies or plain morons, they're going to be pre-adolescents who the admins have to protect from cuss words.

If you can't handle a cuss word, then do not play a MATURE GAME. High School yet? Thankyou.

Now those are the bad, onto the good.

The gravity gun is amongst several weapons, allowing you to pick clutter up and throw it at people. Very fun when you're in the mood.

The physics for this game are just amazing. If my computer was a little better, I know that this would be easier and a lot more interesting. Even with an old pre-2000 computer, it's still impressive to see objects fall almost analogically.

Now for the issues that really make this game fail.

Suit.

Yes, Suit. Suit is this obnoxious rip-off from Halo. Remember how you got a weak shield that would replenish itself outside of combat? Well, the designers of HL2DM decided they would steal that, except change the name, buff it and put in zones where you had to recharge.

Take a minute to guess how players react.

They camp in a deathmatch. Now, depending on the server and map, this won't be a problem. If you're good, you can catch people recharging off guard(they have to face the wall) and massacre them. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself trying to kill the same person who is recharging faster than you die, respawn, and run back.

The other big problem is this trip mine. Initially, it was intended to explode when you ran into the laser. I mean after all, thats what a trip mine is for! Except people don't use it that way. It takes a moron to walk into a bomb that is clearly visible with the nice red light. Heck, most of the time you can just jump or duck under it!

Except it isn't used for explosions. It's hilarious when someone dies from it, but it triggers a noise bigger than its explosion, and winds up being used as an alarm clock. Actually, this is a problem paired with an "Orb." You get this unlimited respawn that some trash will always camp over, and basically get 15/1 ratios with a fastmoving ball of light that bounces off of the walls twenty times and kills you in one hit. Not a problem really, except it runs through you and kills all of your team if they're in the same room, while doing nothing to the idiots who fired it because of no friendly fire. <-- Team Deathmatch only

Honestly, thats about it. Every map comes with its own set of extreme problems. I'll give you a list of the ones to avoid. Snipe, killbox, and anything starting with js_. If you're going to play a map, look at fragyard or runoff.

There is no effective use of Sound or Audio, unless your opponent is throwing grenades everywhere or running rampant with an RPG, besides of course the trip mines, and even then it will not help you much.

Rating:6/10

Not worth your money unless you are really impressed by the same thing over and over again.

Shits and Giggles Rating:8/10

My scale interpretation:6:OK, 8:Good, 10:Perfect

Mr.Klean
07-01-2008, 02:11 AM
No, no, no, no and no some more.

Ever try researching before posting.

Valve did not steal the suit from halo.

HL1 = 1999
Halo 1 = 2002

Halo stole the suit from HL1 if you are going to say anyone's stealing anything.

Death match isn't meant to be a hard core game. Its just meant for run and gun and blow the shit up. There are some faults, but it makes the game fun

Map download speed is a server side issue. Same way as CS. Valve doesn't run the servers, gamers do.

Connection issues are also server side. Find a good server and you experience none of this.

The spawn time is changed from server to server.

Have you played more than one server with this game?

Jackrawl
07-01-2008, 02:14 AM
No, no, no, no and no some more.

Ever try researching before posting.

Valve did not steal the suit from halo.

HL1 = 1999
Halo 1 = 2002

Halo stole the suit from HL1 if you are going to say anyone's stealing anything.

Death match isn't meant to be a hard core game. Its just meant for run and gun and blow the shit up. There are some faults, but it makes the game fun

Map download speed is a server side issue. Same way as CS. Valve doesn't run the servers, people do.

Connection issues are also server side. Find a good server and you experience none of this.

The spawn time is changed from server to server. Have you played more than one server with this game?

Try again clean, this is Half Life 2DM. Have you read the title of the thread yet? This was made in 06, and half life - 1 and 2's suits were completely different. If you want though, I will address the issues of this game and give credit and twists to HL1 and HL2, even though there is nothing even slightly comparable between them and HL2DM.

It does not make the game fun. At all. I want to get a little something out of effort.

Map download speed is not strictly a server side issue, because they used a different format, now it takes longer.

I think the connection issues have nothing to do with me if I have a 10MHz DL speed.

The spawn time is pretty much the same no matter where you go.

Now go read some wikipedia before you catch me in a bad mood again.

Mr.Klean
07-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Did I miss some update on the suit or something. If I remember correctly you have to recharge the suit with either a Combine wall charger or a battery pack in HL2. I haven't played deathmatch in forever and from what I remember there is not a "recharge" feature to the suit where it recharges itself. Now I never have messed with any of the mapping and servers, but I know the download speed that you receive is from the a separate server not valve owned usually. Now your saying downloading is slower, but infact, you are downloading a larger file if you state that they changed the format, making the download slower time wise, but not speedwise. Clarity was needed in the aspect.

Now the spawn time is a change-able feature on any server, seriously, if you can't wait 5 seconds or whatever the spawn time is set at then you have no patience. This game isn't meant to be a pro game or have anything like CS its just something to fool around in. I think you are trying to compare the two as terms of hard core gaming. Did HL2 ever have any recoil in it? The weapons, fire technique, and everything else is an exact replica from the HL2 game.

10 mhz download speed is deathly slow? Sorry, I know you meant meg.

I haven't used Steam or HL2 since around the time EP1 was released so I haven't kept up on any of the updates. All my information is based around that time frame.

Thanks for the mis-spelling of my name.

Jackrawl
07-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Did I miss some update on the suit or something. If I remember correctly you have to recharge the suit with either a Combine wall charger or a battery pack in HL2. I haven't played deathmatch in forever and from what I remember there is not a "recharge" feature to the suit where it recharges itself. Now I never have messed with any of the mapping and servers, but I know the download speed that you receive is from the a separate server not valve owned usually. Now your saying downloading is slower, but infact, you are downloading a larger file if you state that they changed the format, making the download slower time wise, but not speedwise. Clarity was needed in the aspect.

Now the spawn time is a change-able feature on any server, seriously, if you can't wait 5 seconds or whatever the spawn time is set at then you have no patience. This game isn't meant to be a pro game or have anything like CS its just something to fool around in. I think you are trying to compare the two as terms of hard core gaming. Did HL2 ever have any recoil in it? The weapons, fire technique, and everything else is an exact replica from the HL2 game.

10 mhz download speed is deathly slow? Sorry, I know you meant meg.

I haven't used Steam or HL2 since around the time EP1 was released so I haven't kept up on any of the updates. All my information is based around that time frame.

Enough out of you. Straight out of wikipedia - MHz (megahertz, 106 Hz). Yes, you have to use a wall charger to recharge the suit, did you even read the description I gave?

I am not comparing HL2DM to HL2 and I never said that I was. When I see a FPS multiplayer game I expect to see recoil.

In your next post I want to see that you actually read mine, not scim through it like you clearly have. So far you've even told me that I'm saying Valve is hosting their servers. Please make sure that you're not wasting my time moving my fingers for you.

Mr.Klean
07-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Sorry, but ever hear of the multiplayer on HL1? It did the same exact thing as HL2. Using a wall charger to recharge the suit. HL1 multiplayer was realeased the same time as HL1. Meaning you CAN'T say Valve stole it from Halo.

I never said that you said Valve was hosting the servers, I was simply giving the reason why they may be glitchy.

If you want to edit posts and add in personal attacks, lets go for it then.

Jackrawl
07-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Sorry, but ever hear of the multiplayer on HL1? It did the same exact thing as HL2. Using a wall charger to recharge the suit. HL1 multiplayer was realeased the same time as HL1. Meaning you CAN'T say Valve stole it from Halo.

You're only here because I said Valve ripped the Halo suit?

I never said that you said Valve was hosting the servers, I was simply giving the reason why they may be glitchy.

If you want to edit posts and add in personal attacks, lets go for it then.

Or better yet, you can quote what I'm writing?

Mr.Klean
07-01-2008, 02:53 AM
I hate any Halo game with a passion. You compare Half-Life with Halo and you will be proved wrong.

I see no point in quoting. Seriously if you can't scroll up to read from the original post then you are lazy. Quoting is just a waste of webspace.

Jackrawl
07-01-2008, 02:55 AM
I hate any Halo game with a passion. You compare Half-Life with Halo and you will be proved wrong.

Prove me wrong mr.klean, how is HL2DM any different from the Halo multiplayer, outside of weaponry, recharge, and "aux"?

Edit:
Oh wait, lets see, Halo offers vehicles and team cooperation.

Actually, I think I'm going to try an approach this game in a "Just for shits and giggles" manner, because it's obvious that this isn't supposed to be taken half seriously.

Lets see how much that improves my opinion of it.

Mr.Klean
07-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Staying on topic is nice, but whatever.

Halo is an over-rated game. Seriously everyone and there mothers play the game. Everyone thinks they are pro at it. Everyone has it. I am not a conformist. I hate the game and most console games because people over play them, get way into them. My neighbor is actually ranked #1 in Halo 3 in the state of Wisconsin on Xbox live, (that according to him and I would believe it, he never gets off the game, ever) and all he does is either overly complain or overly gloat. That is how almost all the people I have met that play Halo are. They never stop talking about how they did this or that. They never stop talking about the story line in the game. I don't care if you play they game nor do I care what they did in the game just figure that shit out. I don't see many PC gamers gloating about everything unless there noobs. Hopefully you know that story.

Halo multiplayer vs HL multiplayer is just running and killing either way.

Team cooperation in Halo and not HL? Right completely and utterly false. Maybe on noob servers for HLDM.

HLDM doesn't need vehicles. Too small of maps.

Jackrawl
07-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Staying on topic is nice, but whatever.

Halo is an over-rated game. Seriously everyone and there mothers play the game. Everyone thinks they are pro at it. Everyone has it. I am not a conformist. I hate the game and most console games because people over play them, get way into them. My neighbor is actually ranked #1 in Halo 3 in the state of Wisconsin on Xbox live, (that according to him and I would believe it, he never gets off the game, ever) and all he does is either overly complain or overly gloat. That is how almost all the people I have met that play Halo are. They never stop talking about how they did this or that. They never stop talking about the story line in the game. I don't care if you play they game nor do I care what they did in the game just figure that shit out. I don't see many PC gamers gloating about everything unless there noobs. Hopefully you know that story.

Halo multiplayer vs HL multiplayer is just running and killing either way.

Team cooperation in Halo and not HL? Right completely and utterly false. Maybe on noob servers for HLDM.

HLDM doesn't need vehicles. Too small of maps.

8-20 MB files do not shout too small.

Mr.Klean
07-01-2008, 03:56 AM
8-20 MB files do not shout too small.

What on earth do you mean by what you quoted and that?

If you related it with too small of maps, I meant they are too small to involve vehicles. Not file size wise?

Jackrawl
07-01-2008, 04:50 AM
What on earth do you mean by what you quoted and that?

If you related it with too small of maps, I meant they are too small to involve vehicles. Not file size wise?

Oh. Well thats not true either, so don't worry.

I'd say that if you're in a good mood and just playing around, the game is worth an 8 tops.

Dan Cardin
07-01-2008, 11:32 AM
The game is clearly not a ripoff of halo.

the map download is not bad at all though. actually only took me like 15 seconds to download my map :p.
The maps dont need vehicles. They would just ruin the game. Many of Halo's maps are quite a lot bigger than these maps.

What else are we arguing about.

EDIT: the gameplay isnt the best ive seen, but its not the worst. and i dont think i'd give it and 8. Maybe a 7.5. I find it kinda funny that you say you'd give it an 8 but you hate the game. 8 is a good score ;)

Jackrawl
07-02-2008, 03:04 AM
The game is clearly not a ripoff of halo.

the map download is not bad at all though. actually only took me like 15 seconds to download my map :p.
The maps dont need vehicles. They would just ruin the game. Many of Halo's maps are quite a lot bigger than these maps.

What else are we arguing about.

EDIT: the gameplay isnt the best ive seen, but its not the worst. and i dont think i'd give it and 8. Maybe a 7.5. I find it kinda funny that you say you'd give it an 8 but you hate the game. 8 is a good score ;)

Honestly, it depends on what you're looking at. If you don't care about quality shooting, you can give it an 8 - thats for shits and giggles, keep in mind.

My perception of a rating might be different than klean's. A 6 is OK, an 8 is good, a 10 is perfect.

The Download speed is a lot lower than Counter Strike's. Klean argues that this way of downloading isn't faster timewise but speedwise, which is bullcrap because we'd have changed all of our CSS maps to a different format.

We had custom vehicles in CS, I don't see why we can't do it for this. In fact, we do use certain types of vehicles in HL2DM...

Honestly, it all depends on what kind of gamer you are. I play to win with a disadvantage, Klean plays for shits and giggles.