PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to jazz?

zertunami
08-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Jazz has been a favorite of mine since I joined band 3 years ago. Does anyone else here like jazz also? It seems to be a dying genre even though in my opinion its one of the greatest music ever invented. Btw if you happen to have links for jazz albums, it'd be nice to know.:(h):

edit: One site you can visit:

http://www.trombone-usa.com/trombonesamples.htm

noidea
08-29-2008, 12:02 AM
How long have you been in band? This is my 3rd year and I am also in a jazz band playing tenor sax while playing bass clarinet in the regular school band? What instrament do you play? I only listen to it when I need tips on how to play a song, such as when to bend, or when to use falls.

zertunami
08-29-2008, 12:12 AM
I've been in band since the 6th grade and I am now in the 9th grade, so 3 years, doing my 4th. I play trombone and I also was in the all-county jazz band for my area here in Miami. My middle school band was "great" for a middle school, scored straight superiors the 3 years I was there, I managed to get 4 of those FBA, as we call it here, competition medals. Thats not to mention how many other medals my school scored for the pass I think 10 years or so. We have a wall with over 20 superiors I think.

rashid204
08-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I really started to like jazz after I heard the infamous Take 5. We have a public jazz radio that plays mostly conservative jazz pieces, but is still pretty good. I used to play trumpet in jazz band in grade 9 but I stopped shortly after. I work at a studio where we get a bunch of guys that come in and record tracks. Some of these guys are really crazy. We had a quartet that bought only an hour of studio time (really ridiculous cause it takes 4 hours to make the coffee :p), they did their track in less than an hour. I swear jazz makes you retardedly gifted :D.

zertunami
08-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Lol, well jazz requires practice, so in a way, it can make you retardely gifted lol. I haven't seen one person at my school that plays jazz and is not in honors or advanced classes. Maybe its just a fad for the "smarter" kids lol. But yea, not many people are willing to learn a music so complicated as jazz.

noidea
08-29-2008, 11:27 PM
There was seriously a staudy that proved music made you smarter. I have just forgoten what it was called.

zertunami
08-29-2008, 11:30 PM
There was seriously a staudy that proved music made you smarter. I have just forgoten what it was called.

Supposedly it would. I guess it has to do something with increasing your motor skills and/or memory. Music has so many tasks at once that the brain would have to adapt to it, like multi tasking.

sirlaughsalot
08-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Supposedly it would. I guess it has to do something with increasing your motor skills and/or memory. Music has so many tasks at once that the brain would have to adapt to it, like multi tasking.

It basically turns your brain into SCAR, and what i mean by that is you write something down, it interperates it and does it :D

I played piano for 6 years (quit when i was 13) and am now taking up guitar (started yesterday lol)

zertunami
08-29-2008, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't mind music that made you good at SCAR lol:rolleyes: I've always wondered why people would take up an instrument like guitar rather than say, a woodwind or brass instrument. To me it seems a bit easier than a concert instrument, sorta takes away some complexity that music gives because there is no breathing or regulating and such involved. But that is just my opinion.

noidea
08-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Guitars and other "rythem section" instraments have to remeber chords.

zertunami
08-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I suppose yes. I just never quite understood why people choose guitars over another concert instrument. Fad?

noidea
08-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Well, I guess some of the people who join band are in it for the guitar. When they find out there is no guitar in band, they head out. I believe that is for the people with high hopes and dreams of becoming a metal head rockstar later in life.

zertunami
08-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Well, I guess some of the people who join band are in it for the guitar. When they find out there is no guitar in band, they head out. I believe that is for the people with high hopes and dreams of becoming a metal head rockstar later in life.

Perhaps. Btw, if anyone has a place where you can download jazz tunes or anything, please post a link here.

I have one nice place (especially for trombone) that has over 300 songs on a playlist!

http://www.trombone-usa.com/trombonesamples.htm check it out

rashid204
08-30-2008, 03:00 AM
I suppose yes. I just never quite understood why people choose guitars over another concert instrument. Fad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1sAkZF7SCQ
That is why :D

zertunami
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1sAkZF7SCQ
That is why :D

Nice song. I always loved this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xWjYMGI3DM

Daniel
09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Music = Good
Singing Style = Crap

That's honest ^^ :f:

zertunami
09-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Music = Good
Singing Style = Crap

That's honest ^^ :f:

Lol some singers are good (or there used to be :P), ever heard of Ella Fitzgerald?