PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Starcraft (xp to vista)

Brain
09-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Alrighty, well, me and my roommate want to LAN up some SC. I have a linksys router, I'm on a desktop running XP Pro 64 bit (also can run 32 but (dual booting)), and he is on an HP laptop running vista home premium. We are both hooked directly to the router via ethernet (wireless has to be disabled per dorm policy).

He has a legit version of SC...since I am mentioning that I DONT think I have to say what kind mine is... ;) ...but it works fine, it's my brother's, and he does not have internet access, and I don't play on battle.net anyway....

And then I'm kinda stuck I think....

There are two options that might apply to us:
1) Local Area Network (IPX): Can't even open this option, but it seems like the right one, but I don't know much about IPX (even after googleing), and I read that MS dropped it for vista or something.

2)Direct cable connection: And that one needs a serial cable I believe...which his laptop has no serial port.

So, in conclusion, I need help playing starcraft with him.

Any ideas?

P.S. I am a Vista noob...

Mr.Klean
09-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Uh, are you also a Starcraft noob? Use UDP for LAN gaming.

I think the earliest version of starcraft doesn't support it, so go to blizzards site and patch both of your Starcrafts to the same version.

Overtime
09-08-2008, 03:22 AM
^ yea what he said get the latest patch and use UDP

and dont you have to type a I.P. to join or is that only diablo?

Brain
09-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Uh, are you also a Starcraft noob? Use UDP for LAN gaming.

I think the earliest version of starcraft doesn't support it, so go to blizzards site and patch both of your Starcrafts to the same version.

why yes, I am in fact a starcraft noob, for I knew nothing of the update.

Thanks for the information, I will try it out, and report back here. :D

EDIT:

WOW, thank you SO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rep + for the both of you!

Can a mod please close this?

Hobbit
09-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Closed on request