PDA

View Full Version : What is your education in math/compsci?

autrefois
10-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Im looking around these forums, and I realize most of you have taken some sort of compsci class, or maybe you guys are still in high school tinkering around.

Im in my Senior year of high school, and unfortunately I have not taken the AP computer science class, (chose to take AP physics instead this year)

Im wondering, what is your educational background in programming, and math? For math, you can just put the level of math (algebra, calculus I,II, multivariable, etc.)

TravisV10
10-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Im a freshman and the USA Georgia math curriculum is screwed up!

Okay to make a long story short, our math curriculum tells teachers to facilitate learning. So they hand you a worksheet and if you have questions you ask.

I was doing so well in math. I had all As in math through middle school and a math award 2 years in a row. I was recommended for accelerated math in high school so I said yes.

At the beginning of the year I had an F. I have a B and a tutor now. A TUTOR! I'm a f***ing programmer! :) lol

Our class (09) is screwed because we have to test this new curriculum that isn't working. Half of the kids in accelerated math in middle school failed out.

Anyway if you made it this far, gratz. I know you really don't care so thanks! XD

Oh, anyway! I am taking Algebra II. It is a mixture of Trig, Geometry and stuff.

autrefois
10-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Forgot bout myself.

Im a senior in high school, I took Calculus II as a junior, Calculus I as a sophmore. We have a pretty fast possible math course work

Runescapian321
10-09-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm a freshman in High School, and sadly our school doesn't offer computer science courses >_< (Tbh I never really enjoy programming, but it does interest me) And I'm taking Honors Algebra II (I think it includes Trig later in the year) this year, and I've already taken Geometry and (obviously) Algebra I.

EDIT: Wow, nice math skills there autrefois :p I'll probably only get to take Calculus II as a senior (assuming I don't fail anything, lol).

Smartzkid
10-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Honors Precalc

Taking Calc BC (aka calculus I & II) next year; woot for free college creds!

EDIT: Also taking AP Java

TViYH
10-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Freshman in high school, taking Web Design and Graphic Design. Taken and passed several typing classes, and programmed using VB6 for 2 years. I also tinkered with graphics for a year and a half. Currently taking College Prep Algebra I, although I could be in Geometry.

I'm interested in VB, .NET, SCAR, Java, CSS, HTML, JS, and graphics.
Although I haven't been taught any of the above professionally, except for graphics.

bullzeye95
10-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Freshman in high school, taking Web Design and Graphic Design. Taken and passed several typing classes, and programmed using VB6 for 2 years. I also tinkered with graphics for a year and a half. Currently taking College Prep Algebra I, although I could be in Geometry.

I'm interested in VB, .NET, SCAR, Java, CSS, HTML, JS, and graphics.
Although I haven't been taught any of the above professionally, except for graphics.

I'm never taking a typing class again! I had a fat black woman that liked to rub your shoulders; and I'd always finish the lesson before everyone else, and she'd keep making me redo it until everyone was done. I had to do it at least 2, sometimes 3 times before anyone else was done...

(BTW, .NET isn't a programming language)

sirlaughsalot
10-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Im taking algebra 2, thats about it, i have been thinking of taking some community-college programming courses (if they have any, they should though) but i havent decided which, and i would like some experience with it beforehand =/

TViYH
10-09-2008, 03:20 AM
.NET isn't a programming language, no, it's a framework.

I meant I like all of the programming languages included in .NET.

Blumblebee
10-09-2008, 03:57 AM
lol if i took anything computer related at my school, id never hear the end of it. Scar is the only programming i know/ever done. :p

TViYH
10-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Yeah. It's quite common in my school.

We use Macs, with all kinds of expensive programs xD.

A lot of people do it for a free period though.
Even though they get F's. lol.

siege turtle
10-09-2008, 04:22 AM
I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm taking Honors Algebra II and Compsci, so hopefully I can learn enough to try to actually make a script.

TViYH
10-09-2008, 04:25 AM
You don't need that to make a SCAR script ;]

Just read some tuts.

rogue poser
10-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Im currently taking calc III (multivariable / vector calculous)

Im currently using OGRE with C++ (G++ with CODE::BLOCKS IDE) to do my coding and im teaching myself how to game program. I have taken two college level courses in programming and there are many more to come. Im 2 years from my degree in computer engineering.

edit: i have bought and read "AI for game developers" by o'Reilly, PRO OGRE 3D programming by Junker, various c++ books, and im working on "Introducing character animation with blender" by Mullen

(im 19, too old to play runescape, but meh whatever)

(OGRE is an object oriented graphics rendering engine, in other words its an SDK that does 3 dimensional linear algebra for you)

I will post a short vid of what i have so far if anyone is interested. its nothing special other than a 3d scene with a 3rd person camera behind a ninja mesh that moves along the XZ axis. I could send an EXE but, i use linux so unless you have a GNOME version of linux we will have to go through hell and back for that to work... lol

EDIT: after re reading my post, i have seen that i look like the biggest dork in the world... lol

atlanta788
10-17-2008, 03:40 AM
freshman highschool but why wud u talk bout math :(