PDA

View Full Version : SRL + SCAR Linux distro

rogue poser
10-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Anyone get SRL to work with scar in a linux distro? Im having some issues, (ubuntu 8.04) and was wonder if anyone had it working properly. im using Wine 1.0

Wizzup?
10-16-2008, 08:31 AM
It has been reported to work under Wine Is Not an Emulator. You need to install, java under wine, and then it `should` work. Bullseye knows more about that. Wait for him to reply, or search for a tutorial. :)

rogue poser
10-16-2008, 06:21 PM
thankyou for your input. Thats what im using but im having issues with the SRL. When i get a few hours ill figure it out if he doesnt reply.

By the way, im a big fan of your ess miner. Very nice work

edit: Bullseye, do i need to also run a web browser in wine?

bullzeye95
10-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Wizzup, I am noob at linux! :x

But SMART in wine should work. It worked better for me in crossover. I can't say anything beyond that, because again, I'm noob at linux.

lanboyo
10-17-2008, 10:02 PM
The problem with runnning anything in wine is if you have an error you have to figure out whether it is a scar error or a wine error.

In general I run vmware sessions with a tinyxp client OS for my cheating goals.

And if you do that you can also run more than one, and run multiple instances of scar.

rogue poser
10-18-2008, 05:17 AM
The problem with runnning anything in wine is if you have an error you have to figure out whether it is a scar error or a wine error.

In general I run vmware sessions with a tinyxp client OS for my cheating goals.

And if you do that you can also run more than one, and run multiple instances of scar.

I thought about the vmware solution. Do you have a link to a place where i can get the tinyxp client? i thought that the entire xp client had to be set up in the vm shell as a virtual machine? is this a miniature freeware virtual machine type of xp??

Zigon
10-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm currently running ubuntu 8.04 and scar/srl/SMART runs flawlessly using WINE. I didn't need to play around with anything to get it to work, make sure WINE is installed properly?

The only difference between running it under windows is that the font changes, and I think there's a slight pause before running a script, nothing big.

rogue poser
10-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm currently running ubuntu 8.04 and scar/srl/SMART runs flawlessly using WINE. I didn't need to play around with anything to get it to work, make sure WINE is installed properly?

The only difference between running it under windows is that the font changes, and I think there's a slight pause before running a script, nothing big.

Well, maybe its because i was using an older script, my problem was the minimizing of the scar window, what version of wine are you running? I have 1.0. I was thinking about just appending all the scripts with a little tidbit at the begining that for the script looking at the right place. Also your window picker? does that pick the window of did you have to make your browser full screen and mess with the paramaters?

bullzeye95
10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
If you want to auto without SMART, you must run a web browser in Wine.

A G E N T
10-18-2008, 03:05 PM
In winecfg, try setting the option to "Run as a Virtual Desktop" or something like that. I remember I got SMART to work on mine that way.

rogue poser
10-18-2008, 03:08 PM
In winecfg, try setting the option to "Run as a Virtual Desktop" or something like that. I remember I got SMART to work on mine that way.

Are you talking about the WINE configuration gui?

emulate a desktop?

A G E N T
10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes, in the configuration, it's under "Window Settings".

rogue poser
10-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes, in the configuration, it's under "Window Settings".
Okay okay i got it working ish... i dont have everything updated yet but i will do that later. As of now i need to finish some homework. thankyou everyone

OOOH and the emulate desktop was a good idea, i have a question though. Can you minimize that sucker and do other things on your comp while autoing? i would check but i have stuff that needs to get done

A G E N T
10-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm on a windows computer right now, but IIRC, yes.

boberman
10-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Wine can run SCAR pretty flawlessly. It is just a bunch of WinAPI calls for the most part, wine has had those down for quite a long time. Smart needs JAVA (as others have pointed out) but other then that, it runs fairly smoothly as well.

Right now, a major problem is that SMART is broken. Linux doesn't use the same drawing methods as windows, so a firefox web browser in linux isn't going to have the same data as one in windows.

As others have pointed out, this can be circumvented by installing a win32 web browser under wine and using that. A little tedious I know, but you do what you gotta do.

rogue poser
10-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Wine can run SCAR pretty flawlessly. It is just a bunch of WinAPI calls for the most part, wine has had those down for quite a long time. Smart needs JAVA (as others have pointed out) but other then that, it runs fairly smoothly as well.

Right now, a major problem is that SMART is broken. Linux doesn't use the same drawing methods as windows, so a firefox web browser in linux isn't going to have the same data as one in windows.

As others have pointed out, this can be circumvented by installing a win32 web browser under wine and using that. A little tedious I know, but you do what you gotta do.

well internet explorer is the obvious, but will google chrome work? or opera?

i guess ill just play it safe and use ie 7, done need more hassle than its worth

bullzeye95
10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
As long as it is run in Wine, it should not matter.