PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Game

D1zl3
11-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I was wondering what to use when making a game like Runescape. Also is it hard to make? I heard that it is sort of like pascal. Would I use java or C++, and also, what programs do i use, thanks for the help, sorry Im a noob :P .

Tniffoc
11-18-2008, 03:58 AM
That would be like scary impossible but if you want to, go ahead and learn C/C++/Java/Visual BASIC/Visual C++.

D1zl3
11-18-2008, 04:00 AM
That would be like scary impossible but if you want to, go ahead and learn C/C++/Java/Visual BASIC/Visual C++.

So it would take alot of practice? :P
damn I was hoping it would be alot easier than that, thanks for the feedback!

boberman
11-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Game programming is some of the most difficult programming out there. If you are interested, Then I would pick either C++, C#, or Java to program it in, as they have the most tools and resources available for that area. C++ for the absolute fastest, and Java/C# for decent speed, but easier programming. C# will probably be the easiest to program a game in if I where to wager.

senrath
11-18-2008, 05:10 AM
If I were you, I'd pick C# to start with. It's relatively simple to learn, and you can base any game you make on the XNA framework.

I've never actually used C# or XNA myself, but all but one game project in the game design club I'm in is using XNA.

D1zl3
11-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Ok so I should use c#. But what programs would I use?

Capricorn
11-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Since its C# I think that basically forces you to use Microsoft's Visual Studio. Do you plan on making a game from scratch? I.E making a engines for your game to run off of and going from there? If so looking at some open source game engines and graphic engines would not hurt.

With that out of the way, realize that making games are BIG projects. There is a reason why all the big game developers only release games every so often when they have big teams of 100+ min. Make sure you make little goals for you to do so you do not get discouraged.

D1zl3
11-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Since its C# I think that basically forces you to use Microsoft's Visual Studio. Do you plan on making a game from scratch? I.E making a engines for your game to run off of and going from there? If so looking at some open source game engines and graphic engines would not hurt.

With that out of the way, realize that making games are BIG projects. There is a reason why all the big game developers only release games every so often when they have big teams of 100+ min. Make sure you make little goals for you to do so you do not get discouraged.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll look into it:)

Edit: I found this program DarkBasic and it seems like a pretty good program to make games if anyone has heard of it. Does anyone happen to know if you can make this game online so others can play it, like putting it on your website? thanks! :)

Steps
11-20-2008, 07:02 PM
are you planning on making it 2d or 3d?

D1zl3
11-20-2008, 09:56 PM
are you planning on making it 2d or 3d?

3d :) . I heard that darkbasic is good and I seen videos on youtube of it and they look pretty detailed. I have the trial version and I'm just learning it, kinda like pascal.

Smartzkid
11-21-2008, 08:32 PM
You're looking to make a multiplayer game?

You could use just about anything for the client. I'd recommend XNA & C#, but just about any language will work. If you want it to be playable in a web browser though, you'll have to program it in Java or Flash [actionscript].

For the server, go with C++ (prototype it in whatever language you like, but when you go live, you're gonna want C++ for its speed)

boberman
12-06-2008, 01:29 AM
You're looking to make a multiplayer game?

You could use just about anything for the client. I'd recommend XNA & C#, but just about any language will work. If you want it to be playable in a web browser though, you'll have to program it in Java or Flash [actionscript].

For the server, go with C++ (prototype it in whatever language you like, but when you go live, you're gonna want C++ for its speed)

Unless you are planning on hosting a server for several thousand people, the language really doesn't make that big of a difference now-a-days. C++ is nice for its speed, but that isn't the only feature or reason to go with it.

If you make a game in C#, I would suggest programming the server in C#. Cross-language problems are beasts to handle.

Phoenix13nl
01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi, for creating a game, like some one already said above, i'd recommand C# & XNA. but programming game is pretty hard though. nevertheless i created a really cool 2D RPG game engine, with a pretty advanced map editor :D, and i learned all that in... about 1.5 Months. but since then i've learned alot more about programming and computers, right now im actualy writing my own compiler and langauge.

sorry the last half of my post is off-topic, but i just like talking about programming alot :D