PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Building :'/

marpis
11-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I just started learning Visualbasic, and im using the VB2008.
I created a program that calculates the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

I wanted to make it work as an independent program, so i clicked Build -> Build Hypotenuusa_Valmis

It exported 5 files:
Hypotenuusa_valmis : Application manifest
Hypotenuusa_valmis : Application
Hypotenuusa_valmis.exe.manifest : MANIFEST-file (???)
Hypotenuusa_valmis.pdb : PDB-file (???)
Hypotenuusa_valmis.XML : XML-file (???)

When i run the Hypotenuusa_valmis exeuctable, it works correctly. I tried if these work on my girlfriends computer too, so i sent all these to her packed as .zip. She extracted the files and ran the executable, but there came up some error. I removed the Application Manifest file and tried running the executable, and it worked. I sent these 3 files to her but didn't work. I removed 3 more files (all others but the executable) and it still worked with me perfectly. I sent the executable to her, but nahh didn't work.

How hard it is to make this program work with other computers?
I haven't found any tutorial, don't tell me to google.

NiiX
03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
I would say it has to do with some .dll wich you have on your pc, but your gf's pc dosent, make sure to check what Components have you used and wich ones, make sure to copy that specific .dll(s) to your .exe's directory and then try to run it on your gf's pc, this should work now.

Post source?

mc_teo
04-05-2009, 12:35 AM
vb2008 can be a pain...
thats the main reason i started using vb6...
a nice clean execuable...

when your building your files go to the project configeration, and publish to the desktop...
all files are needed...

hope this helps

XabdullahX
04-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Just install .Net Framework 2.0 on your gfs computer and it should work.
just google it

tank phobia
04-21-2009, 05:30 AM
vb2008 can be a pain...
thats the main reason i started using vb6...
a nice clean execuable...

I wouldn't suggest vb6 over vb.net 2008, once you get the hang of it programming becomes much faster and easier.

As for distributing this it is quite likely that the missing dll is the problem which you can fix by packaging it with the program. vb.net 2008 express edition doesn't provide much in the way of distributing your programs which is meant to be an incentive to upgrade.

EDIT: Have you played around with publishing? In solution window instead of clicking your form click the one that the other one which brings up a tab with a whole bunch of options, look down the left and you will see publish... click that and have a play around and hopefully you will be able to distribute your prog with that!

bballer
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Does she have the .net 3.5 framework? You have to have all of the files from your
"projectlocation/bin/release(or debug)" folder copied.