PDA

View Full Version : Running Runescape on a mobile device?

deWi
12-02-2008, 12:24 AM
It seems to me that running the RS client on any mobile device other than a laptop is impossible for now. No success on the Symbian OS or a Windows Mobile.. What do you people think?

Buckleyindahouse
12-02-2008, 12:26 AM
It always been impossible?

You cant fit the already small rs screen in a smaller phone screen.
Battery life will be like ashes in the wind.
Using a stylus on it to move and crap would be a pain in the ass like hemroids.

deWi
12-02-2008, 12:39 AM
At leat for the hardware part, its getting more and more possible. S60 mobile phones from Nokia using dual cpus and hardware graphics acceleration like on the N95 and N82 for example, takes it much closer to reality. Maybe not next year, but im sure jagex will pop out a "mobile" client sooner or later :)

Buckleyindahouse
12-02-2008, 02:03 AM
At leat for the hardware part, its getting more and more possible. S60 mobile phones from Nokia using dual cpus and hardware graphics acceleration like on the N95 and N82 for example, takes it much closer to reality. Maybe not next year, but im sure jagex will pop out a "mobile" client sooner or later :)
http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/109/nokia-n95-8gb.jpg
Why would anyone carry that when you can have something like....

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/techchron/2008/10/08/BB_Storm_Front_Left271x500.jpg

Still doubt jagex will make anything for mobile phones.

Dual CPUs must be a bitch for battery life and if not, then the battery must be a bitch to have inside the phone.
Graphics acceleration?, They have that in the iphone already, and they claim to be more powerful then the PSP. Soooo, if the iPhone cannot play java or flash then no phone anytime soon will be able to. If they are ever able to play java, you will probably be too old to actually sit down login on your phone and play.

Sean[714]
12-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Runescape On Ipod Touch/iphone Please?

Kyle Undefined
12-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I have this:
http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/images/ATT-Tilt.gif
It actually loads the main page somewhat :p Just tried it out.

~Camo

GoF
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Won't work due to the resolution and I doubt any phone could actually run RS.. Plus don't phone have different java than PCs? So even if you did try loading RS on a phone or "mobile device" I doubt it'd get anywhere.

Kasi
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
i wouldnt recomend playing rs on your phone...

Buckleyindahouse
12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
i wouldnt recomend playing rs on your phone...
You don't have to un-recommend it, because you can't play rs on your phone.

Kasi
12-02-2008, 10:46 PM
just saying incase u can
Edit : Which I now know u can't

deWi
12-02-2008, 11:07 PM
just saying incase u can
Edit : Which I now know u can't

Im interested to know why you would dicourage people from playing a mobile version of RS, even if its not possible on mobile phones for now.
Like GoF said, the java support exists but isnt yet too good. If u wanna play mobile, buy a minilaptop, those things should run the game just fine :)

rogue poser
01-10-2009, 06:47 AM
i dunno... my samsung epix has a 627mhz processor and 150 mb of ram... when i started rs i was 15 and had a 233 w gdmb of ram and i could play rs okay. my phone is more powerful than my first computer! all you need is the java and your set. there are already some 3rd party java implimentations in the qorks... search on sourceforge

jared
01-12-2009, 02:26 AM
would be kinda nice to play rs on my iphone though lol!

omgwtfbbqlol
01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
btw java is working on a micro java for iphones ipod touches mobile's etc.

NoSuchThingAsBeingBant
01-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Well it would be nice to be able to RS anywhere. Though controlling it would be really bitchy, even if you have a pen. Maybe mobiles will advance enough in about 5 years or so from now.

Maybe we'll need mobile bots then?

Dervish
01-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Lol only no life's would be like OMGAZ I CAN PLAYEZ R00NSC4P3 1N T3H CL4SSR00M !

Seriously, just play when you get home its alot better and you'll maybe not get the reputation of a RS noob (which isn't alot of a reputation).

I got IPhone 3G for X-Mas but I wouldn't like to play RuneScape on it... Seems wrong.

Something that'd be cool would be SCAR + SRL on Cell Phones ! :)

JuKKa
01-13-2009, 08:24 PM
My brothers band mate who actually is a mobile phone game coder, said that they're already pushing the phones to their limits, they would need faster processors, then it would be possible. He also said that battery life isnt a problem.

This was a few months ago though.

I dont know about iphones & ipod touch, But i doubt it.

P1nky
01-13-2009, 11:13 PM
yeah on my G1 i tried, it works but than says i need to dl JAVA.

fearfox20
01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
i thought phones and psps ran java scripts and cant run the java to play rs
is there any way you could possible get something to play it on a psp

P1nky
01-13-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrbaludRL6M

lol more vids... check them out

Jmanx
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Tbh i personally think having runescape on a mobile device would be cool and everything but a pain in the ass....

I mean having to move around and the clicking and all that would really be a pain.

Oh Noes! PIERATS!
01-13-2009, 11:54 PM
You can play RuneScape on DSs, PSPs and iPhones but only using a VNC which required you to be near your computer.

Its basically using the device as a proxy between you and your pc so you can use it from anywhere in the house.
I have done it but its nothing amazing due to the terrible frames per second and response time.

scotchtape51
01-14-2009, 02:55 AM
WARNING THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT PHONES!!!!

its not really about phones but i would really like to play a console version of runescape that had the graphics of runescape hd or lower if you wanted.
and you could use an account that you all ready have, that would be awsome.

corn77
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
sounds interesting. :)

TViYH
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I can run the applet on my new cell. It plays without lag, as well.

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2041467/cellphone_Full.jpg

NTARelix
01-22-2009, 03:54 AM
Mobile devices have small screens, too small for runescape unless they made a mobile sized resolution for runescape. Even then, runescape requires RAM, RAM that current mobile technology can't handle yet; Not mainstream mobile devices as far as I know. If they do, then they might not have the ability to use Java. I'm no expert on topics like this, but it's just based on my current computer knowledge which is more than the average kid my age.

deWi
02-03-2009, 07:44 PM
NTARelix, please do yourself a favor and step outside of that cave of yours every now and then. While doing that, you might just notice that there is all kinds of funny phones and phones with apples on them running Random Access Memory intensive applications. If and when Sun releases JVM for the popular iPhone platform i cant help thinking that Jagex would be wise enough to realize the business possibilities lying in mobile devices..

Ezekeil
02-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Running RS on a mobile phone of some sort will be expensive. How much does it cost to have an active world wide connection on your phone?

jpuura
02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Hmm.. What about creating an mobile phone thats as big as 1028 x 864..

Endzior
02-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Hmm.. What about creating an mobile phone thats as big as 1028 x 864..

:duh:

And what u would do with such a phone ? Cook something ?

Z3pla12
02-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I dont think you can download java on a phone

jpuura
02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
no? Take it to business meetings? When u get bored u play lmao..

Skotekal
02-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Interesting idea. Could see this possibly happening on an iPhone/iPod Touch, but as stated above, the resolution is a definite problem.

Simtoon
02-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I can run the applet on my new cell. It plays without lag, as well.

lol TViYH

ne0
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
U can do it with VNC, still it isnt fun at all, just .. wierd.. I have done it on my friends iphone. I can ask him how he did if someone wants to know..

but u have to be close to a computer thou.

bukowski
02-20-2009, 04:51 AM
FALSE, you actually can play runescape on an ipod touch/iphone. i have one and ive done it. There are some tuts online, if you want to know how, you can message me.

michaelo85
02-25-2009, 08:50 PM
my mate just got the new nokia 5800, hoping to play runescape but doesn't work, it would be nice for someone to make a type of custom ware for a psp to play rs.

tom43
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
FALSE, you actually can play runescape on an ipod touch/iphone. i have one and ive done it. There are some tuts online, if you want to know how, you can message me.

im pretty sure that thats is impossible iphone/ ipod touch doesnt support java. ive tried before.

lysolman00
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a REALLY REALLY expensive phone (not bragging) and it can load the mainpage and go to forums, ge database, etc. It cannot play Runescape though not because I can't put Java on it, but it's too much for it too handle (need faster and better processors). It's too much for even the best phones today to handle. The most portable you can get is those mini laptops. It's not worth it to play RS on a mobile phone too because how much lag it would be. If you were paying for internet access per kilobyte, you woud be screwed and you would be paying over hundred bucks just to play Runescape. Much better to play on a laptop even though we all want to play it mobile. I hope they will release something that you can play RS on (I'm sure they will within the next 4 years). I really don't want to say this but I'm working on a totally modded cell phone processor that will be able to use my modded java app <--still working on it. There will be LOTS of lag and will disconnect very often if you are on the move (like in a car).
Hope I helped. Sorry for the huge explanation. When I try and explain something, I go all out :D

tom43
02-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I have a REALLY REALLY expensive phone (not bragging) and it can load the mainpage and go to forums, ge database, etc. It cannot play Runescape though not because I can't put Java on it, but it's too much for it too handle (need faster and better processors). It's too much for even the best phones today to handle. The most portable you can get is those mini laptops. It's not worth it to play RS on a mobile phone too because how much lag it would be. If you were paying for internet access per kilobyte, you woud be screwed and you would be paying over hundred bucks just to play Runescape. Much better to play on a laptop even though we all want to play it mobile. I hope they will release something that you can play RS on (I'm sure they will within the next 4 years). I really don't want to say this but I'm working on a totally modded cell phone processor that will be able to use my modded java app <--still working on it. There will be LOTS of lag and will disconnect very often if you are on the move (like in a car).
Hope I helped. Sorry for the huge explanation. When I try and explain something, I go all out :D
ya dude it would be the same thing with iphone. the ram on the iphone staggers with some of the bigger apps, I cant imagine how it would react to runescape, probably explode or something.

killerguns01
03-07-2009, 04:26 AM
I heard that phones can't support the java. Yet.

And the hardware required now would make the phones way to big to be practical.

But here's hoping for the future.

nomad
03-22-2009, 06:42 PM
It would be cool if they made a proper client - not just a IE without a address bar

ehazel
04-26-2009, 06:46 AM
i know you can on the iphone ive seen a guy playing in the airport