PDA

View Full Version : C

Shuttleu
02-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Hello

I would like to learn C but i want to know where the best place to learn is and what the best C compiler is and mabey an IDE with syntax highlighting so i can see where my errors are

i will give rep++ to anyone who helps

~shut

boberman
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
There are several good IDEs available for C/C++. IMO MSVC is probably the best one out there. Next to it, I would say that code::blocks and Netbeans are pretty good IDEs

As for learning it. Just look up C Tutorial on Google, and pick your favorite link. Its pretty straight forward, a lot of the syntax is really quite similar to Pascal, with some minor differences.

Shuttleu
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
There are several good IDEs available for C/C++. IMO MSVC is probably the best one out there. Next to it, I would say that code::blocks and Netbeans are pretty good IDEs

As for learning it. Just look up C Tutorial on Google, and pick your favorite link. Its pretty straight forward, a lot of the syntax is really quite similar to Pascal, with some minor differences.

msvc == microsoft visual c++ 2008?

~shut

Wizzup?
02-07-2009, 07:08 PM

~shut

Vim + GCC is the way to go... :)

boberman
02-07-2009, 07:30 PM

~shut

Yes

R0b0t1
02-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Vim zomg.

A G E N T
02-08-2009, 05:38 AM
If you're on Windows, there is a really good editor called NotePad++, if you are on *nix, then yeah, Vim is probably the way to go :)

Shuttleu
02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
well im on windows and MSVC seems to be working great
plus it has a built in compiler ;)
thanks for the advices
i have still yet to find a good tutorial for C

~shut

Wizzup?
02-08-2009, 12:37 PM
If you're on Windows, there is a really good editor called NotePad++, if you are on *nix, then yeah, Vim is probably the way to go :)

ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe

well im on windows and MSVC seems to be working great
plus it has a built in compiler ;)
thanks for the advices
i have still yet to find a good tutorial for C

~shut

But it only works on Windows.

Shuttleu
02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe

But it only works on Windows.

but once the source files have been compiled they can be run on differant os cant they?

~shut

Wizzup?
02-08-2009, 12:58 PM
but once the source files have been compiled they can be run on differant os cant they?

~shut

No...
Microsoft's Compiler only works on the Microsoft platform. (Unless you are using WINE, but you don't want to aim for that.)
They also have a slightly different syntax.

Shuttleu
02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
No...
Microsoft's Compiler only works on the Microsoft platform. (Unless you are using WINE, but you don't want to aim for that.)
They also have a slightly different syntax.

ok so VIM works on all platforms?
if it does then please tell me how to use it or do i have to use it on linux because i dont understand how to use it :s

~sht

boberman
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Wizzup, The syntax difference between MSVC and G++ will be unnoticeable to just about everyone. I was able to compile all of Scar++ with MSVC after being exclusively built for GCC with very little issue.

While vim is a nice editor, You'll have a much easier time programming with MSVC. It has WAY more features then any other IDE I have ever seen. It's code completion alone makes it really spectacular.

If you want your app to run on multiple platforms, code it first in the environment you want it to work for, then worry about porting it over. Since you are just learning C, there is no reason to get yourself concerned over cross-platform issues just yet. Learn to walk before you run.

Wizzup?
02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Wizzup, The syntax difference between MSVC and G++ will be unnoticeable to just about everyone. I was able to compile all of Scar++ with MSVC after being exclusively built for GCC with very little issue.

While vim is a nice editor, You'll have a much easier time programming with MSVC. It has WAY more features then any other IDE I have ever seen. It's code completion alone makes it really spectacular.

If you want your app to run on multiple platforms, code it first in the environment you want it to work for, then worry about porting it over. Since you are just learning C, there is no reason to get yourself concerned over cross-platform issues just yet. Learn to walk before you run.

It depends what syntax you are used to. The GCC C compiler is less strict than the MS Compiler, so if you code in MS Compiler, you won't have much problems converting it. I was just pointing out that MS C Compiler can't actually compile for other OS'es...

Shuttleu
02-08-2009, 02:27 PM
It depends what syntax you are used to. The GCC C compiler is less strict than the MS Compiler, so if you code in MS Compiler, you won't have much problems converting it. I was just pointing out that MS C Compiler can't actually compile for other OS'es...

so i code in the MS C compiler then convert it to work in GCC C compiler to work on all platforms?

~shut

Wizzup?
02-08-2009, 02:29 PM
so i code in the MS C compiler then convert it to work in GCC C compiler to work on all platforms?

~shut

If you don't use a Windows libraries that should be possible, yes.
But like boberman said, focus on actually learning it first. When you are ready you will dump your windows install anyway. ;)

Shuttleu
02-08-2009, 02:42 PM
ok well the next thing is to learn C
do you know of any good C tuts?

~shut

boberman
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c/lesson1.html

That looks like a pretty good tutorial. Just make sure you hit the next at the bottom of the page.

Shuttleu
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c/lesson1.html

That looks like a pretty good tutorial. Just make sure you hit the next at the bottom of the page.

thank you once again boberman
now... do i give you rep again?

~shut