PDA

View Full Version : I want to start C++ game programming.

ShowerThoughts
03-08-2009, 08:34 PM
To start with my future(/me thinks/hopes)

What would be the best C++ IDE for this?

If it is good to use a engine, which one(I saw > 1 tuts about allegro)?

Or can I create my own?

Does someone know good C++ gaming tuts(I know good C++ tuts already)?

Thank you!
Fatheadz

Hugolord
03-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Lite-C I would say.
It is like a version of C/C++ ( I forget which) but for making games.
It is still quite complex so you're gonna have a hard time understanding it.
google Lite-C for more info.

ShowerThoughts
03-08-2009, 08:56 PM
But C = for C and not for C++ and since C++ is faster?

Hugolord
03-08-2009, 08:58 PM
er.. It should matter whether something is fast on not at your stage lol...

If you want something fast then.. hell make your own engine from scratch to suit your needs.

ShowerThoughts
03-08-2009, 08:59 PM
er.. It should matter whether something is fast on not at your stage lol...

If you want something fast then.. hell make your own engine from scratch to suit your needs.

Sexy :p, But Lite-C++ doesn't exists? because I want to code C++ and not C because I already understand alot of C++.

Buckleyindahouse
03-08-2009, 08:59 PM
c,c++,c# are all the pretty much the same in speed with a few variations. Don't worry about speed.

Good programmer can make a sucky langauge faster then a bad programmer in a good language. :)

Hugolord
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
No, Lite-C++ does not exist and Buckley is correct.

Dan Cardin
03-08-2009, 09:39 PM
ive been poking around allegro, and it looks nifty.

Smartzkid
03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Psh. Who uses pre-made game engines? Rubbish!

I use VC++

Wizzup?
03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
What is wrong with pre-made game engines?
If they work fine, I wouldn't mind. Spring-project is awesome.

Anyway, GCC is the most supported and by far the most used compiler.

Richard
03-08-2009, 10:45 PM
May I ask what GCC is, I'm currently downloading VC++, only because it has the Dark GDK thing, which looks shiny :)

I once used VC++ before, and I used to get weird errors that I didn't with Dev-C++, would that be just my machine, or a slightly different language?

Wizzup?
03-09-2009, 07:45 AM
May I ask what GCC is, I'm currently downloading VC++, only because it has the Dark GDK thing, which looks shiny :)

I once used VC++ before, and I used to get weird errors that I didn't with Dev-C++, would that be just my machine, or a slightly different language?

http://gcc.gnu.org/

Dan Cardin
03-09-2009, 10:53 AM
by the way Hermpie, Allegro isnt an engine, its a library, in case you were hoping to use an engine.

ShowerThoughts
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I Really REALLY appreciate all feedback :) Thatz why srl-forums p0wnz.

c,c++,c# are all the pretty much the same in speed with a few variations. Don't worry about speed.

Good programmer can make a sucky langauge faster then a bad programmer in a good language. :)

No, Lite-C++ does not exist and Buckley is correct.

Okay, thank you.
It's just I think again I think that you can find more C++ gaming tuts then C.

ive been poking around allegro, and it looks nifty.

So I should use the library?

Psh. Who uses pre-made game engines? Rubbish!

I use VC++
Does it requires .Net framework?

What is wrong with pre-made game engines?
If they work fine, I wouldn't mind. Spring-project is awesome.

Anyway, GCC is the most supported and by far the most used compiler.
Hmm, thank you.

That would be a slightly different IDE/Compiler

http://gcc.gnu.org/
Thank you.

by the way Hermpie, Allegro isnt an engine, its a library, in case you were hoping to use an engine.
Alright!

One question :
I've heard VC++ or Dev-C++ or GCC or Lite-C Now what's the best one for game programming?

Again, thank you all for feedback.

Hugolord
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Well I know that out of those 4 Lite-C is the one that is specifically for games .

So for a beginner I'd recommend Lite-C.

http://www.conitec.com/english/gstudio/litec.htm

Smartzkid
03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I guess it depends what your aim is. If its to put out a game, I dunno. But if you want to really learn, use whatever IDE suits you best and write your own game engine, then write the game on top of it. Granted, this would take a lot longer, but you would learn a great deal of good information.

ShowerThoughts
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Well I know that out of those 4 Lite-C is the one that is specifically for games .

So for a beginner I'd recommend Lite-C.

http://www.conitec.com/english/gstudio/litec.htm

Okay, I trust you on this.

I guess it depends what your aim is. If its to put out a game, I dunno. But if you want to really learn, use whatever IDE suits you best and write your own game engine, then write the game on top of it. Granted, this would take a lot longer, but you would learn a great deal of good information.

I like you guys always(most of the time) giving good advice and honest.
Okay then I'll try Lite-C

Also where would I find a kind of engine creating thing.
Because an engine I know the definition but still I am not 100% about what it is exactly is and looks like.

Dan Cardin
03-09-2009, 11:40 PM
So I should use the library?i dont see why not, or you could use SDL. afaik sdl is more commonly used, but ive been looking into allegro and it seems easy enough to use.

making your own engine would basically mean you write all the code to make a game possible. Then usually this engine can be reused in other games that you make to save having to write it all over again. but you use that to basically write the code specific you your game on top of it.

EDIT: though lite C looks like it already has an engine. If you really want to learn game programming seriously, then i wouldnt necessarily use that. I'd be saying just go with C++.

ShowerThoughts
03-10-2009, 12:37 PM
i dont see why not, or you could use SDL. afaik sdl is more commonly used, but ive been looking into allegro and it seems easy enough to use.

making your own engine would basically mean you write all the code to make a game possible. Then usually this engine can be reused in other games that you make to save having to write it all over again. but you use that to basically write the code specific you your game on top of it.

EDIT: though lite C looks like it already has an engine. If you really want to learn game programming seriously, then i wouldnt necessarily use that. I'd be saying just go with C++.

Hey, I would prefer C++, also it wouldn't be good to use VS 2008 C++ right?
So that leaves me with Dev-C++ and Wizzup's.

Does someone here on srl ever made a game before?

Smartzkid
03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Why's VC++ bad?

Solemn wishes has.

OGRE is a really nice 3d engine, but it's not a game engine. The Blender Game Engine sure looks appealing, though.

JAD
03-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I use Dev C++.

Buckleyindahouse
03-11-2009, 01:34 AM
I use Dev C++.
I believe that I recommend you that awhile back.

boberman
03-11-2009, 01:51 AM
1st, I used to be a Dev-C++ fan, but I have since started to really dislike it for several reasons, The IDE is buggy, it has some pretty bad problems with crashing. Sure it is fine for small project, but once you get a few source files behind you it just goes crazy.

The next problem is that it has been out of development for quite a while. Yes there are Dev-C++ derivatives, but they still aren't all that great.

Currently my favorite IDEs are MSVC, Code::blocks, and Netbeans.

As for making a game. Learn to walk before you run. Game making is a hard task, I would suggest starting with very simple games (text based) and then work you way up, After that, start working on making simple graphics (IE a triangle that you can move in the screen). If you don't, I can guarantee that you are biting off more then you can chew.

As for the speed issue. C and C++ are virtually the same speed now. C used to be faster, but any more most modern C compilers are really just C++ compilers running in C compiling mode. It really isn't a huge issue, especially since you are going to be starting out simple.

Again, I can't stress enough how important it is to START SLOW. I've tried doing game programming with only a cursory knowledge of C++ and I can tell you I worked on it for about 1-2 weeks before I threw my hands in the air and said "I'm just not a good enough C++ programmer to do this". Only now after several years of C++ programming experience do I feel confident that I could pick it up if needs be (I haven't tried it in a while).

JAD
03-11-2009, 05:24 AM
I believe that I recommend you that awhile back.

I don't think so. I started using it because it was recommended/used by most students at college for my C++ courses. I prefer it to Microsoft's compiler by far.

ShowerThoughts
03-11-2009, 06:35 AM
1st, I used to be a Dev-C++ fan, but I have since started to really dislike it for several reasons, The IDE is buggy, it has some pretty bad problems with crashing. Sure it is fine for small project, but once you get a few source files behind you it just goes crazy.

The next problem is that it has been out of development for quite a while. Yes there are Dev-C++ derivatives, but they still aren't all that great.

Currently my favorite IDEs are MSVC, Code::blocks, and Netbeans.

As for making a game. Learn to walk before you run. Game making is a hard task, I would suggest starting with very simple games (text based) and then work you way up, After that, start working on making simple graphics (IE a triangle that you can move in the screen). If you don't, I can guarantee that you are biting off more then you can chew.

As for the speed issue. C and C++ are virtually the same speed now. C used to be faster, but any more most modern C compilers are really just C++ compilers running in C compiling mode. It really isn't a huge issue, especially since you are going to be starting out simple.

Again, I can't stress enough how important it is to START SLOW. I've tried doing game programming with only a cursory knowledge of C++ and I can tell you I worked on it for about 1-2 weeks before I threw my hands in the air and said "I'm just not a good enough C++ programmer to do this". Only now after several years of C++ programming experience do I feel confident that I could pick it up if needs be (I haven't tried it in a while).
I know start low, because that's what I am telling my friends constantly;
I made that mistake before. I will just start low.

I don't think so. I started using it because it was recommended/used by most students at college for my C++ courses. I prefer it to Microsoft's compiler by far.
Yes, he did. in your own thread

Dan Cardin
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey, I would prefer C++, also it wouldn't be good to use VS 2008 C++ right?
So that leaves me with Dev-C++ and Wizzup's.

Does someone here on srl ever made a game before?

right here you're comparing apples to oranges. Wizzup's is a compiler, dev C++ is an ide, an ide that has a built in compiler called...mingw or something like that. Anyways, you're pretty much unlimited, because there are a billion options to choose from, but i do agree with boberman in that while i like dev C++, it seems to have random slow downs and can crash every once in a while. I wish it was still in development, because i like it much more than VC, but then again there's code:blocks, which afaik can be used with a bunch of other languages aswell?

ShowerThoughts
03-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Okay, then I will stay with VS I don't like .Net but I know how to code it; pretty good.(no offence)