PDA

View Full Version : GTA - Grand Theft Auto

i pk3r i
04-09-2009, 04:58 AM
as many of you know.. gta is rated 17+ only. but still, most of the GTA players are below 17. and why is this? because most shops would rather make money than following the 'law'.

but does any1 noe wat will happen to the shop keepers if they're caught selling it to sm1 below 17? my frd is opening a game store, and he wants to noe wat will happen b4 deciding if he'll sell it to kids.

wud b great if someone noes the consequences!

coo too
04-09-2009, 07:37 AM
kids parents can buy it for them you know

Dark Arcana
04-09-2009, 07:46 AM
My friends little brother is 5 years old and he plays GTA.

Torrent of Flame
04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
He doesnt sell it to kids. The parents buy it for their kids. They arent breaking the law.

Tell him to follow the age guidance, its there for a reason.

impiwimpi
04-09-2009, 08:26 AM
When I bought GTA4, my parents accompanied me(just to make sure), and the shopkeeper sold it to me without any problems. However I don't think that the shopkeeper would have sold it to me if i would have gone alone to the shop.

EDIT: If anyone plays GTA4 on pc, then please add me ;)
gamertag: Impiwimpi

i pk3r i
04-09-2009, 10:24 AM
no offense.. but those parents must be pretty irresponsible.

but thx for the replies.. i'll tell my frd that.

impiwimpi
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Haha, you could say that, but it also shows that my parents trust me...
They know i can seperate violence in games from violence in real life ;)

Brain
04-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Parents are not irresponsible for letting their kids play GTA and the like. They are stupid if they know their kid is an idiot, and they still let him play. Since this is not a discussion thread about that I will go to the question.

I have worked at an entertainment store called "hastings" for over 3 years. I have never sold a kid that looked underage a video game of the "M" rating. I think it is against the law, and if a secret shopper kid buys it from your then I believe your store can get fined. However, every time I have been in the situation, I just tell the kid he is too young to buy this game alone, and he needs one of his parents to be with him. They usually walk outside and get their lazy good for nothing parent right away and I make the sale.

brcmville
04-10-2009, 04:13 AM
It really doesn't take much to get the game anymore, and most children's parents could care less if the game is rated 17+. GTA San Andreas sits with all the childrens games at Wal Mart so what more could we expect?

I honestly don't find the games too violent and with moderation, kids will be fine playing them. That is my opinion.

Ejjman
04-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Parents are not irresponsible for letting their kids play GTA and the like. They are stupid if they know their kid is an idiot, and they still let him play. Since this is not a discussion thread about that I will go to the question.

I have worked at an entertainment store called "hastings" for over 3 years. I have never sold a kid that looked underage a video game of the "M" rating. I think it is against the law, and if a secret shopper kid buys it from your then I believe your store can get fined. However, every time I have been in the situation, I just tell the kid he is too young to buy this game alone, and he needs one of his parents to be with him. They usually walk outside and get their lazy good for nothing parent right away and I make the sale.

Dude you work at Hastings in Butte? I was thinking of getting a job at the one here last summer. Do you get free games or any shit like that? My brother did at a store down in Glendive when he worked there...

PS. I agree with impiwimpi. Some kids need to seperate violence in video games from real lifes, not me though.

i pk3r i
04-10-2009, 01:49 PM
mhmm impiwimpi.. i agree as well. i cudn't have said it better myself.

but sometimes its not just violence.. sometimes its just playing games. children now a days play a lot of computer games (well most children do, at least) and some of them are being sucked into the so called 'gaming' world.. and sometimes they just can't accept the real world.. where they're independent.

and brian, i agree, if it is rated 17+.. then parents who let their kids buy it are irresponsible. the rating and warning is there for a reason, and for a good one. teenage violence especially in the US, has increased by a lot over the past few years, with many teens carrying guns into schools (especially universities) and just shooting randomly.

Brain
04-10-2009, 04:48 PM
and brian, i agree, if it is rated 17+.. then parents who let their kids buy it are irresponsible. the rating and warning is there for a reason, and for a good one. teenage violence especially in the US, has increased by a lot over the past few years, with many teens carrying guns into schools (especially universities) and just shooting randomly.

I didn't say that.

thebob142
04-29-2009, 09:40 AM
It's not irresponsible of the parents they just believe their child is mature enough to play a mature rated game simple as that.

Shawnn
05-04-2009, 05:35 AM
It's not against the law for minors to play M rated video games as long as their parents are aware of it. Almost everyone I know that plays GTA is underage.

Smitty
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
idk what happens if you sell to someone underage but as long as the person (kids or adults) playing understands what is a game and what is not then to me it would be fine

Harry
05-05-2009, 09:39 AM

How many people have said "BUT I AM OVER 18?!!11"? :rolleyes:

Da 0wner
05-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Who ever obeys game age limits now days?

My Dad gave me GTA4 for christmas and let me go to wal-mart to buy San Andreas (when it was new :D). I had to buy with my own money though.

Edit: Also, my sister plays GTA she is 8 or 9.

tico2
05-06-2009, 12:42 PM
You don't really need to be that old becouse you can just download it :p

NiiX
05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
You don't really need to be that old becouse you can just download it :p

Amen to that ;)

Anyhow, it is pretty bad parenting if you let your kids download a game that is rated 18+ only, same rule applys for buying it for them, kids are annoying, but putting them infront of a TV with a violent video game will only make sure that that kid will be screwed for life.

Patience is a virtue, but patience is also what we cannot handle very well :/

Da 0wner
05-07-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm 13 and I've played all gtas since i was 5 and I am not screwed up.

tico2
05-09-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm 13 and I've played all gtas since i was 5 and I am not screwed up.

Wtf!?! Since you were 5???? :eek::eek::eek:

Da 0wner
05-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes.......but Grand Theft Auto 2 and stuff were not really that offensive or anything.

TViYH
05-09-2009, 11:26 AM
It all depends on how the end-user takes in the violence.

As Brain said, I think, they just need to be able to separate real life from gaming.

WWII games are irresponsible by what you guys are saying, btw.

Zlakata
05-13-2009, 03:49 AM
But you do know that not everyone can separate IRL from games so...

TViYH
05-13-2009, 04:38 AM
But you do know that not everyone can separate IRL from games so...

What, so take it away from the people who can?

Zlakata
05-13-2009, 05:37 AM
What, so take it away from the people who can?

Im just saying not everyone is the same, and the People who make the game just think like that, thats why there is a age advisor. But ofc, if the parents trust their kid, then its good to go.

lolers
06-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't mind kids playing M rated games as long as they don't sue that damn company that makes it or play online without being mature.

COUGH
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
nothing happens parents buy for them thats what my parents did

calbe
10-02-2009, 07:18 PM
It can result in a hefty fine (something like 50k here in NZ) or even jail time is a possibility

Ogre
10-10-2009, 02:52 AM
GTA sucks.
I thought the argument was going no where, so I just wanted to put that in there