PDA

View Full Version : Installing XAMPP on Ubuntu

Daniel
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Installing XAMPP on Ubuntu
By Dan's The Man

Introduction:
I made this tutorial as i thought that some people may run into difficulty whilst installing XAMPP. I have not copied this from any other tutorial on the internet, it is from my own knowledge. I did not Google any help for this (apart from 3rd sub-step in step 4) and decided to troubleshoot the problem myself, and with some basic commands i know (thanks Wizzup? ;)) i did it in under 2 minutes :) As i'm a complete newbie at Ubuntu, so far.

Requirements:
Administrator (root) privileges
Ubuntu

The Tutorial:

Replace any text in orange with the path you downloaded XAMPP to and any text in blue with the version you have downloaded (e.g 1.7.1 or 1.6.8) and any text in green with your username.

Step 1 -
-- Download and install XAMPP for Linux here (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html). NOTE: Follow the download instructions ONLY. Make sure you remember the download location (it helps if it's saved in the /home/dan/)

Step 2 -
-- Go to Applications> Accessories> Terminal, to open up a Terminal prompt.

Step 3 -
-- Type in the following, NOTE: Make sure you have kept the downloaded file name in-tact!. Enter any extra if the terminal prompts it (such as Root password):

"sudo tar xvfz /home/dan/xampp-linux-1.7.1.tar.gz -C /home/dan/"
l
Step 4 -
-- A list of file names and directories will come up, wait for it to finish.
-- After the list completes, type:
"sudo /home/dan/lampp/lampp start"
-- Now type:
"sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /home/dan/lampp"
-- XAMPP is now installed!
-- XAMPP should now be started! Follow the next steps if you want it to launch automatically upon logging in. Skip to Step 7 otherwise.

Step 5 (Optional) -
-- Go to: System> Preferences> Startup Applications

Step 6 (Optional) -
-- Press the ADD button.
-- For "Name" enter LAMPP.
-- For "Command" enter sudo /home/dan/lampp/lampp start
-- For "Comment" enter XAMPP for Linux (LAMPP)

IMPORTANT: To add any files/directories to host, add them to the /htdocs/ section of your LAMPP installation

--- Tutorial End ---

Well i hope i did good with this and hope people will put it to use. Tried to make it easy to understand ;) - Enjoy!

Don't forget to add to my Reputation if you find any of my posts helpful!

EDIT: /OPT/ directory wouldn't allow me to modify so i just changed the /opt/ path to the home directory. Much easier =)

Hobbit
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
GAH I HATE XAMPP

I used it on XP before I stuck Ubuntu server w/ LAMPP on my server. Everytime it lost internet connection for even a second it completely wigged out and crashed my server. =/

If your going with Ubuntu anyways... just install the Server version with LAMPP and if you really want the GUI install the desktop on top of it.

^^ My thoughts on it

Daniel
04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
GAH I HATE XAMPP

I used it on XP before I stuck Ubuntu server w/ LAMPP on my server. Everytime it lost internet connection for even a second it completely wigged out and crashed my server. =/

Well, that's your opinion. Personally i prefer it to any other server :)

Simtoon
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I hate you :P

Wizzup?
04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Eeew. DansTheMan, shame on you, you don't really need XAMPP on Linux machines, the package manager is probably easier to use. :p
It's nice that you made this tutorial, though. :)

sudo apt-get install ssh mysql-server apache2 php6 libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql

And it's done. :)

Daniel
04-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Eeew. DansTheMan, shame on you, you don't really need XAMPP on Linux machines, the package manager is probably easier to use. :p
It's nice that you made this tutorial, though. :)

And it's done. :)
Meh, never really knew that and i wanted a setup like XAMPP. Easier to use =) The Package Manager didn't either contain XAMPP so o_O

But XAMPP pretty much contains everything (except for ASP.NET :'( ).

ShowerThoughts
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
XAMPP is for?

Don't answer: Google knows.

MylesMadness
04-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah, If your on ubuntu you might as well us lamp

Da 0wner
04-30-2009, 02:11 PM
XAMPP is a thing with apache http server, php etc. and stuff like that in it hermpie...

In fact, I have it running right now. Having trouble putting it live though because of routers and stuff like that :(. ISP might block port 80 tcp/icp inbound but w/e.

Daniel
05-07-2009, 07:50 PM
XAMPP is a thing with apache http server, php etc. and stuff like that in it hermpie...

In fact, I have it running right now. Having trouble putting it live though because of routers and stuff like that :(. ISP might block port 80 tcp/icp inbound but w/e.

Port 80 Redirect FTW!

Da 0wner
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Heh +1, I tried that though still did not work :(.

Tniffoc
05-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Your ISP probably blocks that port. I mean, if randomly Wizzup started hosting Villavu/SRL-Forums on his home (s/home/boat) connection, think of all that bandwidth he would take up!