PDA

View Full Version : The Swine Flu

Brain
04-27-2009, 01:06 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8019882.stm

What are your thoughts of the swine flu situation? Anyone effected by it yet? (not only meaning infected with it)

Iron Man
04-27-2009, 01:37 PM
the swine flu virus could be capable of mutating into a more dangerous strain.

Zombies, anyone?

Creed
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
arnold schwarzenegger: STOP SWINING

senrath
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I like xkcd's take on it:
http://xkcd.com/574/

Harry
04-27-2009, 03:01 PM
I personally am having symptoms of the virus, yet I have had almost no human contact within the last few weeks. Probably normal flu, not swine, and/or I am being a big hypochondriac..

Zombies, anyone?
This is now a Left4dead thread.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/Fallen7111/12295865754882.jpg

BjRobMan
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
This is now a Left4dead thread.

/b/tard....:rolleyes:

apparently anyone who has a flu has swine flu. Tbh this will just die off like SARS, Bird Flu and Herpies.

ShowerThoughts
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
/b/tard....:rolleyes:

apparently anyone who has a flu has swine flu. Tbh this will just die off like SARS, Bird Flu and Herpies.
Hermpie?

:p

I have Left4Dead portable and it actually runs at school:eek:

BjRobMan
04-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Hermpie?

:p

I have Left4Dead portable and it actually runs at school:eek:

Lolz i wonder what would happen if zombies actually took over the world.

ian.
04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
PILLS HERE!

^^

Harry you now win.

senrath
04-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Lolz i wonder what would happen if zombies actually took over the world.

This is what happens:
http://accelagirl.deviantart.com/art/Left-4-Dead-Broken-Promises-108701856

P1nky
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
I live in Texas, and Mexico borders us.
GL to us?
lol already it hit South Texas , like 5 people are affected.
Stupid Pigs.

n3ss3s
04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Holy shit guys, I live in Finland and the shit is fucking crazy here, we had school cancelled because of zombies chasing kids, they're like banging on the door all the time, but I have a pumpgun and my dad owns a gun shop so we have a fuckload of bullets in our basement, so we should be fine... We are gonna have to repopulate the planet after this is over, if it ever will be...

Floor66
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
It's now officially called Mexican Flu, not Swine Flu.
Why? Simple; it's a combo of Swine+bird+human Flu!

Torrent of Flame
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
AHAHA. I heard some old guy on the bus say "Swine Flu? Its those bloody foreigners. If it comes to the UK we know who to blame"

Pure1993
04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
actually, if this will turn into a serious epedemic, the people who are getting infected at this stage are relatively lucky... the virus hasn't mutated too often yet, and it doesn't seem to be deadlier than the common flu (well, at least in the USA). If You get infected now, you will be immune for quite a while, thus being safe if the virus should mutate into something which is a lot deadlier... of course, "lucky" is always relative...

Why don't we try the usual approach? ---> Sit and wait until it has turned into a killer virus, and THEN do something about it... *sarcasm*

impiwimpi
04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
let's all get infected before its too late!!!
;)

jakeyboy29
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
just like bird flu killed us all.

Harry
04-28-2009, 01:18 AM
PILLS HERE!

^^

Harry you now win.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2nk0sjr.jpg

jenovaclone99
04-28-2009, 01:59 AM
doesn't really matter tbh, not as bad as aids so we're kinda lucky in a way.

Dan Cardin
04-28-2009, 02:15 AM
my mom listens to conspiracy theorists, and she thinks that it was genetically engineered to harm humans so that the government can make the vaccination mandatory. Then in the vaccine, they're going to put live virus instead of the vaccinationy, so they can kill people.

tarajunky
04-28-2009, 02:23 AM
I think it's overblown.

The stuff in Mexico sounds pretty serious, and they are taking steps to deal with it. But most of the other stuff that has been found in the US and the EU is probably unrelated.

It sounds more like a case of people looking for something specific, and finding it in the normal population.

It's like before they knew what HIV was, they were testing blood for all sorts of different bacteria and viruses and chemicals. But since they didn't know to test for HIV or how to do it, they were using infected blood for transplants. Now they know to test for HIV, but surely there are other diseases that they still don't know about, and don't have a test for them.

One of the reasons the USA has the highest health care spending on earth is that we do a lot more checkups and tests than elsewhere. So, they find a lot of stuff that isn't found. Then it's treated, and people are miraculously cured. Of course, a bunch of people in other countries that were never tested miraculously cure themselves without knowing it. They're finding that with some forms of cancer, which respond to treatments. They're starting to realize that a lot of that cancer was going to regress on its own, and that the treatments didn't "cure" every case that went into remission.

Now that they know what to look for with "swine flu", they'll probably find it all over the place, as a rare but normal flu variant.

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Yo, you people going off topic...no offense...go to general dump or something, this is a serious thread and you are pissing me off by posting your 1st grade bs.

Anyways, i live in brooklyn new york and like 10 cases were confirmed in queens. They were all milder cases than the ones in Mexico. Despite that, there were still some schools closed in queens, unfortunately not here in brooklyn. Everyone knows of it, but tbh i dont think anyone really cares much until someone they know or them themselves gets effected. Tbh, i dont really care either. Its life, shit happens, especially here in brooklyn, its the last of my worries lol.

Harry
04-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Yo, you people going off topic...no offense...go to general dump or something, this is a serious thread and you are pissing me off by posting your 1st grade bs.

QQ, it is somewhat on topic.

Naike
04-28-2009, 03:38 AM
If it does get big, they close schools, shops and so on until they find out some more..

Btw, Is there a cure for this thing? As people already died?

Pure1993
04-28-2009, 03:48 AM
If it does get big, they close schools, shops and so on until they find out some more..

Btw, Is there a cure for this thing? As people already died?

Yes and Yes: People have died, and yes, the usual flew medicins work quite well... at least that's what they say in the news. ^^

Sean[714]
04-28-2009, 03:52 AM
I live in Canada,
Am I safe?

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 03:55 AM
Yes and Yes: People have died, and yes, the usual flew medicins work quite well... at least that's what they say in the news. ^^

Lol, the usual medicines work yet people have still died from the flu? If this was true then the government would not stockpile on vaccines lol.

I live in Canada,
Am I safe?

Nope, thats where its the worst :P

Sean[714]
04-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by oo00o
I live in Canada,
Am I safe?

You're joking..?

Edit:
There are also six confirmed cases in Canada and one in Spain, where at least 17 other people are being tested for the virus.

FML

josh81193
04-28-2009, 04:02 AM
why is it only killing the mexicans? >:O
over 100 of them dead already, and only like 4 americans have been reported to have it?

Pure1993
04-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Lol, the usual medicines work yet people have still died from the flu? If this was true then the government would not stockpile on vaccines lol.

I dunno where you live, but are you aware of the fact that people are dieing because of the COMMON flu? Also, consider the medical system in some countries...

jakeyboy29
04-28-2009, 04:08 AM
bird flu?

Torrent of Flame
04-28-2009, 04:09 AM
To be honest, this has the POTENTIAL to be bad, like anything. Your probably safe if you don't work with pigs all the time or know someone who does.

P1nky
04-28-2009, 04:17 AM
in 1916-1917 , there was a flu that killed 40 Million people.

Lets just hope it isn't like that

jakeyboy29
04-28-2009, 04:21 AM

or it just stays in america

jokes !

P1nky
04-28-2009, 04:23 AM
or it just stays in america

jokes !

Lol hopefully Manchester United and wipe out the soccer team muwahhaha .

No im jp , just pray it doesn't kill anymore..

Kinda sucks people dying due to a pig Flu.

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 04:24 AM
You're joking..?

Edit:

FML

I was joking lol.

why is it only killing the mexicans? >:O
over 100 of them dead already, and only like 4 americans have been reported to have it?

Actually 40+ americas are confirmed to have it.

I dunno where you live, but are you aware of the fact that people are dieing because of the COMMON flu? Also, consider the medical system in some countries...

Ye in 3rd world countries....i live in a somewhat civilized world.

jakeyboy29
04-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Ye in 3rd world countries....i live in a somewhat civilized world.

you live in brooklyn...

and joker, yeh its just a media thing, people die... just like of aids.. doesnt mean we all will... we lived through the black death and we now know we helped spread that.... we will be fine.

Harry
04-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Guess what guys?

This flu has a 1/100 chance of death, just like all flus do. O NOES
The 1/100 that die at 99% old people, babies, and people who are weakened, such as people with AIDS.

It is not a big deal, to be honest...sure, it is scary, and a few people will die, but as long as you're careful it should not affect you.

Torrent of Flame
04-28-2009, 04:35 AM

Spanish Flu FTL.

Naike
04-28-2009, 04:40 AM
How the fuck did Young healty mexican man die then?

We got the meds but we ain't giving it to you day? Been there done that :eek:

Kinda unstable statement there.. The meds is working, but people still die..

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 04:51 AM
Guess what guys?

The 1/100 that die at 99% old people, babies, and people who are weakened, such as people with AIDS.

It is not a big deal, to be honest...sure, it is scary, and a few people will die, but as long as you're careful it should not affect you.

This isnt the standard flu smartass. Its a new strand.

you live in brooklyn....

hence why i said, "somewhat" ;)

ur gay? we all know

amen.

How the fuck did Young healty mexican man die then?

We got the meds but we ain't giving it to you day? Been there done that :eek:

Kinda unstable statement there.. The meds is working, but people still die..

its a new strand, no cure for it yet, besides a vaccine. The meds HELP but nothing more.

Quickmarch
04-28-2009, 04:53 AM
I don't recon it's as bad as they say it is, the press always hype everything up.

Brain
04-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Guess what guys?

Actually the people that have it the worst are previously healthy young adults, not old people.

Harry
04-28-2009, 05:11 AM
ur gay? we all know
That is offensive, sir.

Actually the people that have it the worst are previously healthy young adults, not old people.
Not true. The majority are poor people who have not had access to good medicines for the majority of their lives, or they have a condition that helped the virus.

This isnt the standard flu smartass. Its a new strand.
Yeah, of course!.. but lots of people are getting the normal strain, and the hypocondriactic human mind makes them assume that they have this new strain.

Take it to the BBQ pit.

3Garrett3
04-28-2009, 05:13 AM
You're joking..?

Edit:

FML

I live 5 minutes away from 4 confirmed cases.

Truth. Like millions die per year because of the common flu

In 1968 or something there was a spanish flu that killed something like 100 million.

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Yeah, of course!.. but lots of people are getting the normal strain, and the hypocondriactic human mind makes them assume that they have this new strain.

Take it to the BBQ pit.

When "confirmed" is mentioned, that means that have taken a blood test and it came out positive for this specific strand of "swine flu". However, in the us, its a milder case where as Mexico is suffering big time.

Harry
04-28-2009, 05:24 AM
When "confirmed" is mentioned, that means that have taken a blood test and it came out positive for this specific strand of "swine flu". However, in the us, its a milder case where as Mexico is suffering big time.
There is only 40 "confirmed" cases in the US. Do you know how many people are at my local hospital right now thinking they all have it? Humans are programmed to be hypochondriacs, and when the media hypes up a big story saying "ZOMG PEOPLES IS SICK!!1" it will cause confusion and panic with a lot of people. Yes, I personally am having the symptoms of Swine Flu, but it is probably just normal flu. They symptoms are all the same.

senrath
04-28-2009, 05:26 AM
There is only 40 "confirmed" cases in the US. Do you know how many people are at my local hospital right now thinking they all have it? Humans are programmed to be hypochondriacs, and when the media hypes up a big story saying "ZOMG PEOPLES IS SICK!!1" it will cause confusion and panic with a lot of people. Yes, I personally am having the symptoms of Swine Flu, but it is probably just normal flu. They symptoms are all the same.

I know a couple people who think they have it as well. The hilarious part? They're not even showing any of the symptoms of the flu.

As for myself, I'm showing symptoms of the flu, but I doubt that I even have the normal version.

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 05:31 AM

why are you arguing with me if im not disagreeing lol? Thats kinda what i just said.

P1nky
04-28-2009, 06:29 AM
dang 3 confirmed high schoolers(like same district as im in)

Uh oh... lol dam , hope no school for a week like other people.

Harry
04-28-2009, 06:32 AM
why are you arguing with me if im not disagreeing lol? Thats kinda what i just said.
I was pwning you for being a nub. You were like "No smartass, it is a new type" or something like that in an earlier post.

I know a couple people who think they have it as well. The hilarious part? They're not even showing any of the symptoms of the flu.

As for myself, I'm showing symptoms of the flu, but I doubt that I even have the normal version.
Yeah, same here..
1) I do not eat meat, or any pork/pig related products.
2) No one I know, or anyone near me has been to Mexico, nor anyone they know have gone to Mexico or been near anyone with it.
3) How else could I have gotten it?

P1nky
04-28-2009, 06:37 AM
1) I do not eat meat, or any pork/pig related products.

same
i eat meat, though halal, and don't eat pork/pig cause we aren't allow too.

Brain
04-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Not true. The majority are poor people who have not had access to good medicines for the majority of their lives, or they have a condition that helped the virus.

herp derp, look at me, citing a SOURCE, like I did in the first post, instead of just saying "No you are wrong"

All of those who had died were aged between 20 and 50, he said. Infections among young healthy adults was a characteristic of past pandemics.

Mexico: 26 confirmed cases (Mexico puts suspected deaths at 149)
United States: 40 confirmed cases
Canada: 6 confirmed cases
Spain: 1 confirmed case
UK: Scotland says tests confirm 2 cases
Israel, Brazil, Guatemala, Peru, Australia and New Zealand: Suspected cases being tested

1918: The Spanish flu pandemic remains the most devastating outbreak of modern times. Caused by a form of the H1N1 strain of flu, it is estimated that up to 40% of the world's population were infected, and more than 50 million people died, with young adults particularly badly affected

If possible, please cite sources, if you don't I would advise everyone to NOT take what they seriously, since it is just hear-say to me.

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 06:57 AM
w/e

Brain
04-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Is it getting hot in here? Please keep the personal direct flaming down, or if you must, flame then contribute to the "discussion"

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Is it getting hot in here? Please keep the personal direct flaming down, or if you must, flame then contribute to the "discussion"

"personal direct" ?

lol nah, no flaming, just some criticism. im done though, g2g

3Garrett3
04-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Brain, thanks for citing sources.

And Hy. You can't get it from eating pork. The whole point of freaking out is that its transmitted through people, not just pigs anymore. The pig has to be recently alive to get it, not frozen, cooked, frozen, heated, eaten. ;)

Caustic, to be honest, fuck off. Serious? Hy is the best.

Harry
04-28-2009, 08:01 AM
"personal direct" ?

lol nah, no flaming, just some criticism. im done though, g2g
That was direct. Go <obscenities, etc> yourself. :f:

Brain, thanks for citing sources.

And Hy. You can't get it from eating pork. The whole point of freaking out is that its transmitted through people, not just pigs anymore. The pig has to be recently alive to get it, not frozen, cooked, frozen, heated, eaten. ;)

Caustic, to be honest, fuck off. Serious? Hy is the best.
You can get it from undercooked meat that had the virus before it was slaughtered.

herp derp, look at me, citing a SOURCE, like I did in the first post, instead of just saying "No you are wrong"

If possible, please cite sources, if you don't I would advise everyone to NOT take what they seriously, since it is just hear-say to me.
Heh, I was sure that the majority of people who have gotten it have been older.

P1nky
04-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Well then you should go pwn someone else cause this is the internet buddy. You aren't shit to me. You tried to prove an incorrect point in an annoying way, and i corrected you. And now your taking something over the internet, personally, that just proves you need more friends. Once again, this is the internet, go cry somewhere else. There are many people in SRL that i respect, however, you have no decent qualities. peace.

Got nothing against you, though that is a bad post. and should be edited. Try to stay on the discussion and take the Flaming or w/e over MSN or don't talk to each other.

;)

BKNYKavkaz
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Got nothing against you, though that is a bad post. and should be edited. Try to stay on the discussion and take the Flaming or w/e over MSN or don't talk to each other.

;)

k thx for the heads up. ima just hold my tongue for the sake of not getting banned or something. he has it bad enough anyways.

Brain
04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
hahahaha, darn, I knew I heard of swine flu before, and I even remembered this cartoon from way back. Never thought it would "surface" to me again!

http://www.livevideo.com/media/playvideo_fs.aspx?fs=1&cid=0EC597DB783C4D338F61BC86A33438D7

(it contains the cure to swine flu, and a graphic depiction of the symptoms)

senrath
04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
hahahaha, darn, I knew I heard of swine flu before, and I even remembered this cartoon from way back. Never thought it would "surface" to me again!

http://www.livevideo.com/media/playvideo_fs.aspx?fs=1&cid=0EC597DB783C4D338F61BC86A33438D7

(it contains the cure to swine flu, and a graphic depiction of the symptoms)

I remember that cartoon! Heh, "Bam, look at that bacon sizzle!"

Also, the doctor being obsessed with the PTA is funny.

kdj55
04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
My mom got a call today from my family in Mexico today, and they think that one of my uncles has it. They say that he cant even get out of bed.

P1nky
04-28-2009, 11:57 AM
My mom got a call today from my family in Mexico today, and they think that one of my uncles has it. They say that he cant even get out of bed.

aw dude, im sorry to hear that.
Hopefully he will get better, though i heard there is something that will cure it.

Hope your family the best.

Brain
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM
You can get it from undercooked meat that had the virus before it was slaughtered.

Is it safe to eat pig meat?

Yes. There is no evidence that swine flu can be transmitted through eating meat from infected animals.

However, it is essential to cook meat properly. A temperature of 70C (158F) would be sure to kill the virus. (if it were possible to be transmitted this way)

Can people catch swine flu from eating pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not transmitted by food. You can not get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is safe.
Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160°F kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses. (if it were possible to catch it this way)

Again Harry, you have said something without citing any source. If you are trying to encourage fear, take it somewhere else, or you can cite your sources and help people stay aware of what is going on, not spreading rumors.

TRiLeZ
04-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Everybody wash your hands and use tissues more!
Try not caughing because if you had it, you could spread it.
Dont be around people that caugh.
Watch out peoples.

Harry
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Again Harry, you have said something without citing any source. If you are trying to encourage fear, take it somewhere else, or you can cite your sources and help people stay aware of what is going on, not spreading rumors.
Eheeem...

Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160°F kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses. (if it were possible to catch it this way)
As I said, UNDERCOOKED meat you can get it from, though it is unlikely. But if it is cooked properly, yeah it is safe.

Torrent of Flame
04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Meh. Guys, arguing about it will do fuck all. We are ALL at risk of getting it, so lets just prepare for it and hope we dont.

Mushini
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Yuma.

ian.
04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Harry is my hero :D

And since you like pictures of people on here (I guess? :p I don't even know)..

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/99_/075.jpg
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/99_/096.jpg
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/99_/098.jpg
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/99_/112.jpg

Do as you must :)

(For some reason, I think I'm making a bad decision.. >.> lol)

tank phobia
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
99 im just going to ignore the fact that you posted photos that you took of yourself posing :confused:

There are now 8 confirmed cases in New Zealand and they're waiting on tests to find out if they are possibly deadly strains of the flu, 20 kids just returned to my school after an overseas tour so they are currently under watch as they were on the same flight as the 8 confirmed cases. Uh oh :p

3Garrett3
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
That was direct. Go <obscenities, etc> yourself. :f:

Heh, I was sure that the majority of people who have gotten it have been older.

Yeah.. I was going to point you to a source, but brain handled it. Wait, might as well, took effort to find that link again.

The U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention says people cannot get the flu by eating pork or pork products.

^^ There it is anyway. I dont know how to do the cool said by thing. So.. Linky = http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/04/27/swine-flu042709.html?ref=rss

Harry is my hero :D

And since you like pictures of people on here (I guess? :p I don't even know)..

Do as you must :)

(For some reason, I think I'm making a bad decision.. >.> lol)

Lets have sex.

sk8terbitu
04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
the u.s.a is adviseing people not to go to mexico. and ya zombies FTL

Sir R. M8gic1an
04-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Wow. This thread has at least 10 reports and is filled with all kinds of different things. Can we maybe behave / stay on topic?

And why the hell is 99 in his boxers on a swine flu thread?

moved to general dump.

~RM

ian.
04-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Lets have sex.

Let's do it. :D

3Garrett3
04-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Let's do it. :D

Yay :).

I sortof was wondering why you were in your boxers. So confusing that one.

BKNYKavkaz
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
EDIT: NVM. misread.

ian.
04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Yay :).

I sortof was wondering why you were in your boxers. So confusing that one.

Not boxers. Some random chicks shorts :D Ha ha

Brain
04-29-2009, 08:57 PM
First U.S.A. confirmed swine flu fatality. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8024611.stm)

ian.
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
First U.S.A. confirmed swine flu fatality. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8024611.stm)

FATALITY

Nice word choice.

Torrent of Flame
05-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Other thread /delete

jakeyboy29
05-02-2009, 05:20 AM
oh how we all love google.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5

infested999
05-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Hallendale (http://southflorida.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-swine-flu-south-florida-bn042709,0,3314902.story)

I live less than a mile away from there!!!! :O

Harry
05-02-2009, 05:40 AM

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5
Twas already posted AFAIK.

[Advert]And I am running the RSS feed of the updates in #Hy71194 and ##SRLTrivia (as #SRL thinks it is too spammy). So when a new update is released, it announces it in those chans. :)

jakeyboy29
05-02-2009, 05:49 AM
sorry :(

Brain
05-02-2009, 06:06 AM

Twas already posted AFAIK.

Nah he's good, wasn't posted in this thread yet.

Hong Kong has quarantined a hotel in hopes of keeping the virus inside (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8029871.stm)

Similar to the google map of victims, but the BBC version, and time lapse-able (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8021547.stm)