PDA

View Full Version : Cookies taste bad...

botmaster
12-28-2006, 08:38 PM
I dunno, but is it possible that RuneScape uses cookies to track your actions on their website? :( Like, how often you go to their "appeal bann" page and all that... Maybe the RS client can read the cookies and then decide to put black marks against an account if the cookie contains certain data? Just a hypothesis, but it bugs me.

By the way, I recently analyzed header data of a SCAR script http client connecting to the runescape website. Results:

Date: Thu, 28-Dec-2006 18:25:30 GMT
Server: JAGeX/3.1
P3P: CP="NOI"
Content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Cache-control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Expires: Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT
Set-Cookie: RSORIGIN=runescape; version=1; path=/; domain=.runescape.com; Expires=Fri, 28-Dec-2007 18:25:30 GMT; Max-Age=31536000
Connection: Close
Content-length: 1301

Basically, it sets a cookie with a maximum lifespan of 365 days (listed above in seconds). I dunno, but is there any way I could look at the data of the cookies?

Attached a script for anyone to figure out for himself how RS handles cookies. Not so tasty after all :( .

Janilabo
12-28-2006, 09:50 PM
My opinion is... JAGeX = evilish. Smart but evilish. :biggrin:

-Janilabo :garfield:

botmaster
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Wait... Does that mean cookies CAN get you banned? To me it looks like they check what client you're using. RSORIGIN=runescape . Weird cookie. And jagex doesn't give a **** about their privacy policy, they're breaking their own TOU so I doubt they care about it.

Oh well, simple solution: Delete all cookies :D . Maybe its just paranoia.