PDA

View Full Version : How to use the right grammar and orthography in your posts.

ShowerThoughts
06-21-2009, 06:01 PM
First of all yes, I did copy the word "orthography" directly from babel-fish.
What I want to say by "using the right orthography" is that you say/write "apple" and not "4ppl3" or "aple".

I think that using the right grammar and orthography is a good thing as, the people who read your post, can understand, and probably help you and comment on you faster; more accurately.

Sometimes I see those scripting help threads, and I am like, "are you talking English and what is your problem"?
I know one problem it is your grammar & orthography.

Now onto the part where you are attempting to improve your grammar and orthography.

If you have a browser as Firefox you can download language dictionaries, like the British - English and the American - English dictionaries.
The Dictionary Add-on Index. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3)

Other browser may or may not have those dictionaries, but if you think about it, it can not harm to actually try to make understanding sentences, since you help those people help you!
If you don't have a browser which can support dictionaries, try SRL's Forum "Spell-Checker", or try a IRL Dictionary.

Summary:
- Install Firefox with a dictionary add-on.
- Install dictionary support on the browser you're using.
- Use a IRL dictionary.

Eventually, you will improve your grammar, which is handy for a lot of things.

Good Luck! :)

If you have any advice on this tutorial/guide, or on the grammar in my post, please do.

Da 0wner
06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Some of your posts do not make sense. Also, this topic has a few grammar errors. Won't point them out since I am on my iPod.

ShowerThoughts
06-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Some of your posts do not make sense. Also, this topic has a few grammar errors. Won't point them out since I am on my iPod.

Yeah, I fixed them already.
I know everyone was using eagle eyes to discover them.

Some of my posts, might give an example?

Edit:
I compared our posts, and I am pretty sure, that mine make more sense then yours, and are attempts to help people.
1 or 2 are spam, but I see posts of you too in the same, no Inc(PostCount) threads.

Da 0wner
06-21-2009, 06:16 PM
They just do not look or sound very good. But I will when I get on the computer (which might be a while, I am grounded).

ShowerThoughts
06-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I edited my second post.

You might want to, "lay down" all of my posts next to yours, then consider to adjust your statement, or if you want to say your posts also don't make sense, then I'm fine :).

Please discuss this with me over pm, these are 2 opinions, which cause spam in this thread.

Da 0wner
06-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Are you serious? None of my serious posts are incomprehensible. Name one of my posts that is.

jakeyboy29
06-21-2009, 08:26 PM
What I want to say by "using the right orthography" is that you say/write "apple" and not "4ppl3" or "aple".

I think that using the right grammar and orthography is a good thing as, the people who read your post, can understand, and probably help you and comment on you faster; more accurately.

Sometimes I see those scripting help threads, and I am like, "are you talking English". As, I can't understand your problem.I know one problem is your grammar & orthography.

Now onto the part where you are attempting to improve your grammar and orthography.

If you have a browser as Firefox you can download language dictionaries, like the British - English and the American - English dictionaries.
The Dictionary Add-on Index. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3)

Other browser may or may not have those dictionaries, but if you think about it, it can not harm to actually try to make understanding sentences, since you help those people help you!
If you don't have a browser which can support dictionaries, try SRL's Forum "Spell-Checker", or try a IRL Dictionary.

Summary:
- Use a IRL dictionary.

Eventually, you will improve your grammar which that is handy for a lot of things.

If you have any advice on this tutorial/guide, or on the grammar in my post, please do.

Just a few fings. ;)

ShowerThoughts
06-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Just a few fings. ;)

That took pretty long, I was expecting this earlier. :D.

jakeyboy29
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
That took pretty long, I was expecting this earlier. :D.

that took rather a long time, i expected it sooner.

Buckleyindahouse
06-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Sometimes I see those scripting help threads, and I am like, "are you talking English and what is your problem"?
I know one problem it is your grammar & orthography.

Summary:
- Use a IRL dictionary.

Eventually, you will improve your grammar, which is handy for a lot of things.

Now, if you wanted to be a dick about it, we shall continue.

1. "good thing as", just doesn't make sense.
2. run-on sentence.
3. Sometimes"," I (forgot comma)
4. Should be, "Are you speaking english?" not talking
5. forgot comma "I know one problem, It's your grammar...blah"
6. Doesn't sound right, should be "If you have a browser such as FireFox"
7. may not isn't needed, the term for may holds a true or false value.
"The party may be fun", with that being said it might be fun and it might not. There is no need for the may not as it's already stated in the may.
^^^^ a lil confusing I know.

8. if you dont have a browser.blah.blah = run on again.
9. and the one before 8.

But thats only if you wanna be a dick about things^^^^^^^

If not, then I like this post :).

mastaraymond
06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Proper stylo

Ogre
06-22-2009, 04:23 PM

2. run-on sentence.
"The party may be fun", with that being said it might be fun and it might not. There is no need for the may not as it's already stated in the may.

9. and the one before 8.

1. as... answers why and is a subordinate clause, it does make sense
2. It's not a run on sentence ;)
3. I guess so, but punctuation can be flexible and is chosen by the author
5. look at 3
8. I'm pretty sure that isn't a run-on sentence either
9. What?

ShowerThoughts
06-23-2009, 03:29 AM

2. run-on sentence.

9. and the one before 8.

Don't bitch about it, I can also see a comma in your sentence wrong and make like 5 sentences red.

No, I don't want to bitch about things, I am just trying to help, if you don't need it or don't like it GTFO.:(

Buckleyindahouse
06-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Don't bitch about it, I can also see a comma in your sentence wrong and make like 5 sentences red.

No, I don't want to bitch about things, I am just trying to help, if you don't need it or don't like it GTFO.:(
But I'm not the one trying to teach a whole entire forum how to use proper grammar now am I?
:)

Mr.Klean
06-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Most people on this forum use proper grammar as is, there are just a select few who chose 1337 speak and such. They usually end up getting infracted quite quickly.

/thread

bots420
05-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Great tip!!! Thanks alot :)