PDA

View Full Version : What programming language should I learn?

cycrosism
08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey I wanted to learn a programming language by the end of this year, or possibly even 2.

Just vote on which one I should learn and post your reason why. Thank you

Daniel
08-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Python ;)

Because it is extremely powerful ;)

Craig`
08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Are these meant to be for web development? (server side?) as Python can be used for both, and I'm not sure about Perl (that is, non web dev)..

Anyways, for web dev I'd recommend Python or Php, (I haven't done any perl) Python seems nice and 'clean' whilst I think php is to-the-point, I chose php <3

cycrosism
08-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Oh, and I voted on Python myself because i had a talk to my dad about this last night

ShowerThoughts
08-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Python, I don't code one of those sooo...

Wizzup?
08-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Ruby is also nice for Web Development. :)

Macro_FTW
08-02-2009, 01:55 AM
C. But out of the presented choices, I would choose... Perl! XD

Python is very good, as well. :p

Iroki
08-02-2009, 01:59 AM
I would choose C. You can code everythink you want in C. My friend coded nitro in a car ;p

senrath
08-02-2009, 03:17 AM
I'd say C or C++. But of those choices, I'd say Python. Because it is awesome.

ShowerThoughts
08-02-2009, 03:42 AM
C#, shoot me! :p.
C# is quite nice.
But if you want something more powerful take C or C++ or Python.

GoF
08-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Python is pretty simple and straight forward, but afaik Perl > Python. I'm not sure about your programming experience but I wouldn't suggest C(++) as a first language really because your programming enthusiasm will most likely die once you pick up a 1000 page book/tutorial/whatever and start reading and the first 9 chapters are about the theory behind a "Hello World!" program and the next 7 are about making the program, and most people who suggest C(++) as a first language can't even code in it themselves.

Yeah.. I'm no expert in any of those, but as far as I know Perl is the #1, of course depends what you're planning to do..

senrath
08-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Python is pretty simple and straight forward, but afaik Perl > Python. I'm not sure about your programming experience but I wouldn't suggest C(++) as a first language really because your programming enthusiasm will most likely die once you pick up a 1000 page book/tutorial/whatever and start reading and the first 9 chapters are about the theory behind a "Hello World!" program and the next 7 are about making the program, and most people who suggest C(++) as a first language can't even code in it themselves.

Yeah.. I'm no expert in any of those, but as far as I know Perl is the #1, of course depends what you're planning to do..

Except that this won't be his first language. Considering that he's an SRL Member, I'm assuming he already knows a decent amount of Pascal.

Macro_FTW
08-02-2009, 05:40 AM

C++ was my first language; I can code a decent amount of it. :P

cycrosism
08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Yeah I don't really want to learn C, C++ or Java or any of those big languages yet. I was thinking about the 3 languages in the poll and so far python is looking pretty good, but after the poll ends thats when ill make my final decision

Tootoot222
08-02-2009, 08:15 AM
PHP for web dev, python for everything else

bloooblooo
08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I voted for Python, but it really depends on the situation and if you need a specific library that might be written in only one.

My quick n' dirty scripts usually are Perl.

Complicated programs that don't need the speed benefits of just writing in C or C++ usually are Python.

Web development is usually PHP, but it's probably because I haven't bothered using Python in web apps. Perl used to be the Big Thing back when server side scripting came about.

Tniffoc
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Learn Java now or die! Lol. Or learn objective-C and program for the iPhone. A dude I know makes 40k a year just on iPhone apps.

cycrosism
08-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't want to learn Java or C just yet, Its either one of the 3 in the poll

Tniffoc
08-04-2009, 12:04 AM
In that case. PHP FTW!

zi3m
08-06-2009, 10:50 AM
learn Karel++ that was my first language, then C++ now this year in school hopefully Java and a little Pascal(SRL!!!!!)

cycrosism
08-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Python won I'll slowly learn that