PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft Private Server

Gurkan
08-08-2009, 11:59 PM
If somebody were to host an World of Warcraft (WoW) Private server,
would you join?

It has been brought to my attention that several people on this forum plays the game World of Warcraft.
Some people want to play, but think the cost is just too much.
And private servers are always filled with random people and idiots,
which makes it funnier to play with friends (like us here at Srl-Forums :D).
That is why I'm writing this thread, if enough people would play on it, I could maybe host one.

I for one think that Pre-TBC (before the second expansion) was the funniest
and will look for a repack for version 1.8 or so, if people want it.
else im just going to take the latest stable repack i can find and use that (WoTLK).

If you have answered "Yes" please tell me how much you would be online and what you would play, etc.
If you have answered "No" please tell me why you even bothered to vote, and why you wouldn't play.
If you have answered "Maybe" please tell me why you answered maybe.
If you have answered "Depends" please tell me what it depends on.

Method
08-09-2009, 12:11 AM
If you have answered "No" please tell me why you even bothered to vote, and why you wouldn't play.

I bothered to vote because you brought it up in #srl. I wouldn't play because I didn't enjoy playing WoW when I tried it.

x[Warrior]x3500
08-09-2009, 12:59 AM
i would play it depending on the server type (like instant 80 pvp server, or a high-rate server, or a blizzlike server, etc) the different aspects of the server will decide on how much i play.

Gurkan
08-09-2009, 04:05 AM
x3500;613011']i would play it depending on the server type (like instant 80 pvp server, or a high-rate server, or a blizzlike server, etc) the different aspects of the server will decide on how much i play.

Keep in mind that there would be few people being online at the same time, hence the blizzlike type game would be very dull. it would be more of do whatever the fudge you want - type of server

MylesMadness
08-09-2009, 05:49 AM
No, because wow doesn't work on linux.

Gurkan
08-09-2009, 07:54 AM
No, because wow doesn't work on linux.

Tried using Wine?
I myself use ubuntu on my computers.

MylesMadness
08-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Tried using Wine?
I myself use ubuntu on my computers.No, have you?

senrath
08-09-2009, 11:03 AM
No, have you?

Wine works. There are many guides on how to get WoW running under Wine.

kdj55
08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I picked depends because if there isnt enough players then it wont be any fun. I dont think there will be enough people here to fill up a whole private server..

Gurkan
08-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I picked depends because if there isnt enough players then it wont be any fun. I dont think there will be enough people here to fill up a whole private server..

Oh, there are people. but are there enough people playing wow?
that is the reason why I've started this thread, but everybody keeps pressing maybe :mad:

Anyhow, I haven't tried using WoW in wine, but I've heard it was possible and read it.

rogeruk
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Problem you got is there wont be enough SRL players to make it worthwhile.

You could host a server, post it here and we may join. Advertise the server maybe a fun server with events + epic items.

You never know it might take off.

DarkMessiah
Ex Admin/GM/Scripter for DreamerWoW

BobboHobbo
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I would play, i havent played WoW in ages, might get me started again. But come to think of it WoW realllllly ruins your life off the computer. Its a really addicting game.

But to think of it i dont think at this point of time my computer could even run WoW, lol.

Smarter Child
08-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I hate WOW. Although i like playing it, i would maybe join, but i don't like getting addicted to games that really @%#& up your life

GoF
08-10-2009, 03:48 AM
(Pre-)TBC would own, and I might join now that they messed up twinking, yay for turning off xp gains, but /facepalm at 10-30 min queue's for 20 min wsg's. Thought of looking for a pre-tbc private server to play on at the side of my real WoW account. And yeah, IMO you need to be really poor to not afford to spend like 10-15$ per month, and considering you can have like 50 characters on WoW for that (like 5-10$ or w/e for 1 character on RS)..

And WoW works on linux. Gotten it working on 4 different computers already so I'm quite certain it will work.

E: From my own experience it's not really that addictive.. Well, it's more addictive than RS because it has actually some other content than just "grind grind grind, buy something, be happy, grind grind grind".. It's most likely not the best MMORPG out there but it's better than most.. After you get proper add-ons and all and get past the first 30 levels it gets more fun.

Gurkan
08-11-2009, 01:39 AM
(Pre-)TBC would own, and I might join now that they messed up twinking, yay for turning off xp gains, but /facepalm at 10-30 min queue's for 20 min wsg's. Thought of looking for a pre-tbc private server to play on at the side of my real WoW account. And yeah, IMO you need to be really poor to not afford to spend like 10-15$ per month, and considering you can have like 50 characters on WoW for that (like 5-10$ or w/e for 1 character on RS)..

And WoW works on linux. Gotten it working on 4 different computers already so I'm quite certain it will work.

E: From my own experience it's not really that addictive.. Well, it's more addictive than RS because it has actually some other content than just "grind grind grind, buy something, be happy, grind grind grind".. It's most likely not the best MMORPG out there but it's better than most.. After you get proper add-ons and all and get past the first 30 levels it gets more fun.

This thread is turning out great! and i agree, 10-15$ isnt that much. but its a pretty bad mmorpg compared to other games i've tried (like EvE).

Would be really fun to have a vanilla wow server running online (with wallwalking, yay). but then again
im not sure that i can/will host it, im just checking if people would join if i hosted it.

Overtime
08-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Go ahead and do it. Just don't be surprised when Blizzard sends you a DMCA for a lawsuit. Any WoW Private Server hosted in the US gets locked down by Blizzard. If your out of the country do it.

I play on a wow private server already, and bot on RS at the same time. :)

EDIT: And yes i have seen servers get shutdown, within weeks/months.

I played on my favorite one WoWScape and it got shut down for a while, i think it came back i dont know. But then WOW Toxic got shut down and thier was chaos at that point.

NiiX
08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Think of the work needed to make the server(s) good, such as bug testing, writing code, this and that..

Entire SRL pop would not be enuf to get a good game rolling, youd have a single raid per day -.-

Gurkan
08-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Go ahead and do it. Just don't be surprised when Blizzard sends you a DMCA for a lawsuit. Any WoW Private Server hosted in the US gets locked down by Blizzard. If your out of the country do it.

I play on a wow private server already, and bot on RS at the same time. :)

EDIT: And yes i have seen servers get shutdown, within weeks/months.

I played on my favorite one WoWScape and it got shut down for a while, i think it came back i dont know. But then WOW Toxic got shut down and thier was chaos at that point.

Yeah, Blizzard is a bitch (<3 cipsoft and open-tibia)... well im not is usa and we'll see how this turns out. at the time there are more cons than pros

Smarter Child
08-13-2009, 07:20 AM
What about Canada?
Won't blizzard shut down those?