PDA

View Full Version : Can I learn this C++ ?

Ejjman
10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4387/88436586.png

I am curious because there's this competition that I want to enter into. Is it very hard to learn how to do the 'Competencies'? This is all the info I have on it, and on a scale of one to ten, or maybe how much time I would have to devote, how hard is it to learn all of those things? I've wanted to learn C++ for quite some time, but I have never actually sat down to do it.

I have very little knowledge of C++ and its Syntax, but I definitely want to learn it.

Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: If this looks extremely easy, I would not be surprised. There are many competitions that are easy, such as the basic XHTML. I'm just not sure.

3Garrett3
10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
It looks like all it wants you to do is create a program that can do calculations and stuff. Kinda like a spreadsheet? I have no knowledge of c++ but it seems pretty easy.

Wizzup?
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I'd say no. If you don't know C++ yet, then don't even try.
They also say you should have C++ experience, and be able to design (complex) algorithms in C++. So unless you start working real hard this week, I wouldn't suggest doing it. :)

3Garrett3
10-08-2009, 08:46 AM
I was unaware of a time period XD

I figured a month or so would be what it would take to have a "win the competition" worthy thing. Depending on how fast you learn and your background knowledge.

Ejjman
10-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry Wizzy, it's around 4 months away :)

Baked0420
10-08-2009, 11:46 AM
if you have 4 months, then what are you doing posting? start reading some tuts, I don't really know you but I have faith in you :) that's plenty of time I would think.

and I'm learning C++ in school, it's pretty easy, but the case-sensitiveness is annoying when you're used to pascal. :p

boberman
10-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Learn about OOP. It is what sets C++ apart from C or Scar. If you have to write a C++ program and you don't use OOP you are almost screaming "I Don't Know how to us C++!"

(That's not saying all programs require it. Just that a competitions that is testing you on it most certainly does)

Wizzup?
10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Learn about OOP. It is what sets C++ apart from C or Scar. If you have to write a C++ program and you don't use OOP you are almost screaming "I Don't Know how to us C++!"

(That's not saying all programs require it. Just that a competitions that is testing you on it most certainly does)

I don't think OOP would be the main problem. Pointers can be very hard for people, and memory management.

fronty
10-09-2009, 03:39 PM
If someone knows C and wants to attend to a C++ competition, only thing he MUST learn is to get used to writing cstdlib, cmath instead of stdlib.h, math.h etc. and not to use some identifiers like new or delete and stop using some bad practicies if he has ever used them.