PDA

View Full Version : George Orwell - Comparative Essay

mrpickle
10-17-2009, 06:21 PM
This author writes very (insert word := imaginative, rebellious, "truthful") books, about a ideas in society. I just finished the book 1984.

I'm going to write a comparative essay regarding 1984, and another one of his works (haven't chosen yet, but might be "comming up for air") probably on loyalty, fear, or truth. But, because of the person I am, I want to ask for any other possible suggestions for other good themes ideas that I should work with, or look out for. The quote from 1984, "War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength" as well as "Those who control the past controls the future, and those who controls the present controls the past. (from memory)" are important and fun to discuss. So, themes that can still use both these quotations would be best.

(I have no idea how to write comparative essays... yet.)

Nava2
10-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Read animal farm and compare themes there ;)

Both are about totalitarianism.

mrpickle
10-17-2009, 07:25 PM
ah, the teachers said animal farm was not an option here. cuz they plan on using it as a specific stufy for the course. :\.

Cartmann
10-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Lol, i made an essay on this one too :P, i used "The Truman Show" to compare with

Capricorn
10-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Compare it to contemporary society and stuff like youtube and how the government uses it. (or the police maybe be a better comparison)

mrpickle
10-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Lol, i made an essay on this one too :P, i used "The Truman Show" to compare with
wish I could do that. stuck having to use 2 literary peices with an adequet amount of pages >.>

I kinda hoped for something different, something less argued in the western society (those are usually a challenge). Maybe as an example it could be something like (unrelated): "Hitler is a Hero", or "Communism brings more for the society than capitalism". Again just examples.

But perhaps i'm just being too ambitious...

stray247
01-28-2012, 02:19 AM
im a huge fan of ayn rand and would say that her book "anthem" is pretty much like 1984.
anamal farm is good to for being a metaphor for communist Russia.
but honestly man, if this is still relevant and you havent done it yet.
read anthem and animal farm quickly. they are both easy short reads. and even watch part one of the movie "atlas shrugged" online.
this should give you a powerful essay and even change your life towards integrity.

Brandon
01-28-2012, 02:28 AM
hmm.. in highschool I had to write a comparative essay on 1984 and some other book.. I believe it's brave new world?
I think that was the best comparative essay I ever wrote.. both utopian sorta..

Runaway
01-28-2012, 03:04 AM
The Giver might be an interesting comparison. The first half of the book is about a totalitarian / utopian society. It's a good read.

Daniel
01-28-2012, 06:40 AM
3 years old guys...

Runaway
01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
3 years old guys...

Aw shucks, I thought I was giving some good advice >.<