PDA

View Full Version : C++ Libary to use?

Neehosoft
10-22-2009, 02:04 AM
I have been getting into C++, what should I read up on if im interested in 2D Game Development?
And, i don't want a Game Engine. The game I'm aiming for is a RPG and if it gets big i might build a engine for it later. So here's what i want:
*Decent 2D graphics
*Stable
*Ability to make a large scaled RPG.
*Sound
*Not a engine - I want to be able to put stuff like Halo 3's Forge and map editors. If its a engine make sure i can still code because i want to expand my c++ knowledge and that it does not narrow me down.
A list of questions:
*What C++ 2D game Libary Should I use?
*Once i have a finished game in 2D, how hard would it be to port it to 3D if possible?

Other than that, anyone learning c++ want to team up?

boberman
10-22-2009, 06:51 AM
If you are making a game, you are making a game engine. The two are inseparable.

That being said. If you use a pre-written game engine, what you gain is the ability to use that engines pre-written functions and capabilities. you don't loose the ability to use plugins and such.

Now for your requirements.
*Decent 2d Graphics, SDL(which can use opengl or Directx if you like), OpenGL, DirectX
*Stable. The above 3 are all stable.
*Ability to make a large scale RPG. Again, none of the above limit what you can make
*Sound. You'll need a separate library for that, You could use native API calls, Allegro, OpenAl, or DirectSound (part of DirectX)
*Not an engine. None of those are engines. Though, even if they where, they wouldn't prevent you from using Halo 3's Forge and map editors.

* How hard to port to 3d.
It depends. Clean, well written code shouldn't be TOO bad. You will have to re-write the entire graphics engine and physics engine, but if your gameplay logic is clean, it should see little rewriting. If the end goal is to go 3d, I would suggest using OpenGL or DirectX from the get go. Using something else is going to be a pain.

Neehosoft
10-23-2009, 01:55 AM
I know all that, thanks though.
Whats a good clean editable 2D game engine then?

boberman
10-23-2009, 06:25 AM
I know all that, thanks though.
Whats a good clean editable 2D game engine then?

There are plenty of game engines out there, so take your pick and go with it.

Haaf's looked good.

Camaro'
10-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Go on msn, i use dark gdk

Wizzup?
10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
There are plenty of game engines out there, so take your pick and go with it.

Haaf's looked good.

Ogre is very good. www.ogre3d.org
g3d is also nice. http://g3d-cpp.sourceforge.net/

fronty
10-24-2009, 10:44 AM
But they aren't game engines. He asked for game engine and boberman answered to that.

Wizzup?
10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
But they aren't game engines. He asked for game engine and boberman answered to that.

Ah. Sorry. I thought he was asking for graphics engines.

Neehosoft
10-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Ah. Sorry. I thought he was asking for graphics engines.

Im good with anything that would get me started. Orge looks nice, thanks.

Frement
01-25-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.libsdl.org/

If i remember correctly that one has gfx and sounds. Not sure thought, check it out.

Wizzup?
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I think this is actually a game engine too: http://www.ogre3d.org/