PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions..

Naike
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
As I was sick and home from school today, I got some questions to answer until I get better from my dear dear teacher.

As I left my book back in school, and google is somewhat useless when it comes to sciences specific questions, I hoped you guys could help me.

Questions (Sorry for my bad grammar, tired)

Explain why we see backwards in time when we look up in the star-filled sky.
Explain why it's right to say that we all are made out of star-dust?
Galileo Galilei says to be the first to experiment to try his ideas. How do you think his action effecteded the sciences development?

caused
10-22-2009, 02:54 PM
1 is quite logical. It's because the light just takes some times to travel lightyears, and what we see is just the light of those stars, that has been travelling for some time.

~caused

boberman
10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
1. We see backwards because we don't see what is happening right now, we see what has happened several billion years ago.

2. The most common element in the universe is hydrogen. It is theorized that all heavier elements come directly from fusion in stars. So Iron, nickle, ect was first formed in a star and then collected.

Another thought on what the question might be looking for is that it is theorized that planets and stars where formed by giant gas clouds slowly collecting into one mass. so really, the earth and the sun are made up of the same thing. These clouds of gas are generally believed to come from stars that go nova.

3. Galileo's biggest achievement was going against the pope and popular beliefs at the time (Even though he was friends with the pope). He was probably the first to not just accept what was commonly believed, but instead test, prove, and observe things to see how they really are.

cycrosism
10-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Explain why we see backwards in time when we look up in the star-filled sky.

I'll explain it the best I can. You are looking in the past because light can only travel so fast, and it is measured in light years (How far light travels in a year). What you are looking at is the past because the light of the time now has not reached earth yet.

Explain why it's right to say that we all are made out of star-dust?

It is a theory of evolution that a meteor hit the earth and some how caused some organisms to grow.

Galileo Galilei says to be the first to experiment to try his ideas. How do you think his action effecteded the sciences development?

Not sure, sorry

bullzeye95
10-24-2009, 06:11 AM
It is a theory of evolution that a meteor hit the earth and some how caused some organisms to grow.

Abiogenesis has nothing to do with the theory of evolution. They are separate theories, which are both separate from what the question is asking.

crusader657
11-01-2009, 04:50 PM
First, the reason we are looking "backwards" is because it takes time for the light of the stars to reach us.

I will explain this in-depth. The stars are light-years are away from us. This means that it takes years for the light from those stars to reach us so that we can see them. Therefore, we are seeing the stars as they were years ago, not as they currently exist. If we could instantly travel to the star we were viewing, it would look different than it would be perceived on Earth.

Bionicle
02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
yes, this applies to everthing in the space.Suppose we look at the sun.This isnt the true position of the sun since time has flown by the time light reaches us.The time interval is about 8 minutes

Please look at the date that the last post was made before you make a post. This was way back in november, don't gravedig please.