PDA

View Full Version : HHO Fuel Cell

SKy Scripter
11-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Okay so i have heard that making hydrogen and mixing it with the gas while it's going into the engine will extend the miles on your car.

Of course hydrogen is explosive but does this really work?
i want to make my own custom HHO fuel cell and have it split the water into hydrogen as i drive. i here this can make you go 60 miles or so to the gallon of gas...

Dan Cardin
11-07-2009, 09:47 PM
well gasoline is explosivish, so i dont think that it would be that big of a deal in that department. And it seems to indeed work, and links to adding plans, if this article is to be believed. http://ezinearticles.com/?HHO-Fuel-Cells-For-Cars---Do-HHO-Fuel-Cells-Work?&id=1159678

marpis
11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't do anything with hydrogen without a proper laboratory :p

Bionicle
11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Never tried this, but heard it works. Used vegetable oil can run a car. Cheep, not explosive. No idea what damage it can do to your engine though...

Brain
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
vegetable oil can run a DIESEL engine....stick some in your gasoline engine and you'll....get no where. for the Diesel engine it has to be very clean, and it cannot be too cold out.

Bionicle
11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
vegetable oil can run a DIESEL engine....stick some in your gasoline engine and you'll....get no where. for the Diesel engine it has to be very clean, and it cannot be too cold out.

op my bad :p

3Garrett3
11-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't do anything with hydrogen without a proper laboratory :p

This ^

I'd be scared of messing with hydrogen and my car. There is a reason cars don't come with hydrogen cells already. It's explosive stuff.

mixster
11-08-2009, 10:58 PM
The fuel cell itself handles water to hydrogen conversion and the like. The link about making the fuel cell on the page the link above takes you to is dead though in a disappointed way.

I am less inclined to fully accept everything the page says as there is bad misuse of your on it rather than you're - not a big thing, but it makes it pretty obvious they aren't a qualified scientist or the like.

Dan Cardin
11-09-2009, 01:49 AM
lol. You dont need to be a scientist to do such things. Just knowledgeable.

mixster
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I would very much like a scientist to tell me that it's a good thing to do before I do it - especially if it could make your engine prone to exploding or the like.

Dan Cardin
11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
having gasoline in your engine makes it prone to explosion.

mixster
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
I have faith in it is as it's designed by a mixture of scientists and engineers and mechanics and the like. To then put my faith in the words of a person online who doesn't even use proper grammar is quite a hard task :)

Main
11-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Look at this.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/09/15/no-charges-in-scarborough-bomb-scare.aspx
This happened to my teacher's cousin, she was evacuated from the day care were she works. DON'T BE A FOOL.

Dan Cardin
11-15-2009, 12:45 AM
afaik, HHO means its not stored as liquid hydrogen. Its water until you convert it to add to the gasoline. which means there really ought to never really be hydrogen stored in your car. I could very well be incorrect, because i havent researched, but it seems semi-logical.

Smartzkid
11-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Go with vegetable oil, it's easier. In addition, it's cheaper and a lot more mainstream than any hydrogen-based supplement.

You do have to heat it during the winter; some people start on diesel and use the heat generated to warm the oil. Others simply put a heater on a timer so it will heat up before they need to use it.

Brain
11-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Go with vegetable oil, it's easier. In addition, it's cheaper and a lot more mainstream than any hydrogen-based supplement.

he'll have to change the engine in his car to a Diesel one....assuming he has a gas engine, since in his first post he wants to mix it with gas, and not Diesel fuel. I don't even think that hydrogen would do much/anything for a Diesel engine.

Boreas
11-15-2009, 04:03 AM
https://unitednuclear.com/switch2hydrogen.com/
Don't mess with hydrogen. These people have been working on it for years, and they are pros.

Dan Cardin
11-15-2009, 04:15 AM
Boreas: buy me one?

Maegan1979
11-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Hydrogen holds great promise to meet many of our future energy needs, and it addresses national security and our environmental concerns. Hydrogen is the simplest, most abundant element in the universe.

Maegan.

SKy Scripter
12-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Well, the Idea is to convert the hydrogen from the salt water while driving this way your not holding an explosive tank of hydrogen with you. It's suppose to mix with the gas while driving making it save gas.

I was watching a news show about it being fake a while back and that this guy said who ever can prove that it works can receive a million dollars. nobody proved him i believe.

R0b0t1
12-04-2009, 12:10 AM
It is very important to note you need the oxygen as well for it to actually add mileage to your car. Also, your car must be a recent model with a smart controller, else you'll just wear out your engine faster.

There's many plans for making the fuel cells out there, but I would suggest you try to use electrodes made of hard carbon (different from normal moulding carbon, mainly used for fluorine production). If that is not obtainable (probably isn't), go with stainless or high-nickel alloy steel, there may also be special corrosion resistant steel, which is basically high-nickel steel. A good place to get materials would be http://www.mcmaster.com, they also sell thick-walled ABS or PVC like you'd want to make your tanks out of. For your battery, I would choose lead-acid. They are easily refillable, requiring lead... and (sulfuric) acid. You can buy 80% sulfuric, which must be diluted, as drain cleaner. Look at the label. You could also probably buy it from a store specializing in lawn equipment or batteries. Once the lead plates are completely dissolved, buy a new battery.

Also, do not forget a flame arrestor. Enough brown's gas is produced to make it asplode quite awesomely. (I once made a Brown's Gas torch for soldering precious metals... part of it asploded. Not fun.)