PDA

View Full Version : My Speech So far

JPHamlett
11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Have you ever wished that you could switch places with someone else? Have you ever worked to change the style and behaviors of celebrities? Does the grass always look greener on the other side and it would just be easier if you could be someone else? Well according to the late Kurt Cobain, these kinds of thoughts can be terribly misguided. He once said “Wanting to be some else is a waste of the person you are.” Preview.

Now for a little background information on Kurt Cobain, Kurt Cobain was the lead guitarist and singer of the grunge band Nirvana. Nirvana consisted of Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl. Nirvana’s smash hit “Smells Like Teen Spirit” made Grunge music mainstream, which originated in Seattle. Tragically on April 8th 1994, Kurt was found dead in his house with a shotgun wound to the head and 3 times the lethal limit of heroin in his system, it is thought to be suicide. Kurt Cobain influenced many people with his music and advice, here’s why it is significant to me.

The quote is significant to me because with today's media they are trying to make people think that you need to wear these clothes or drive this car or else you wont be normal like everyone else. Self image is important because it will guide you through the rest of your life. If you think that you can do something most of the time you can. On the other hand though if you think that you cant do something cause your not athletic enough or smart enough then you usually will fail because you won't try as hard as you would if you think that you can can do something. Also if you think that doing something will make you fall out of the normal and make you an outsider then you wont even try because your afraid people will make fun of you for it. That's why the quote is important to me, but here's why i shared this quote with you today.

The reason I chose to share this quote with you today is we are all unique and we all have something special to offer to this world. It may take you some time to discover your calling in life and it may take even longer to define the meaning of success, but you’ll get there if you’re willing to put in the effort. Just because someone else seems to be achieving a great deal of success from professional blogging, real estate sales, or fashion consulting doesn’t mean that you should necessarily be following in their footsteps either. In doing so, you’ll always be one step behind. You need to blaze your own trail and be a step ahead. It is inviting to fall into line and do what is expected of you, but it is far more interesting and life is far more worthwhile when you take the time to find your own way. Do you really want to be normal? I don’t think any of us want to lead a mediocre existence and in trying to achieve something extraordinary, we need to take risks, but these have to be your own risks and not the same risks as someone else.

Who you are is more important than wanting to be that big shot celebrity or the funny kid. Just being yourself will get you further in life then pretending to be something that you are not. Kurt Cobain took his own risks and will go down in history as the founder of Grunge music. Next time that your thinking about wanting to be someone else remember that "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are."

tell me what you think so far

im takign a break so leave me crit/praise/advice w/e

i need to finish the started paragraph and the conclusion then ill be done so tell me what you think so far

JPHamlett
11-08-2009, 04:40 AM
Finished speech tell me what you think

Camaro'
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Finished speech tell me what you think

The first 2 paragraphs are well written, i could give two shits about grammer, spelling, facts but im talking about how you 'captured' the listener. REALLY good intro, Didnt read the rest. :)

Blumblebee
11-13-2009, 09:49 PM
well I'll toss you my opinion, take it as you will.

I've found from experience dont ask multiple questions. They confuse the audience and you lose the people who don't care to think and or get people off topic in general.

"new for a little back ground..." - get rid of it, its useless and makes your speech sound a little childish. Its a filler you can use but don't have it as a standatory saying.

I dont like how you talk about him shooting himself with a shotgun in his head and OD'ing of heroine. you should say he passed away or something a bit more emphatic.

I absolutly hate your sentence structure haha, I can tell you must be 13-16 :p thats personal taste though so Its not a big issue.

I kinda got bored and stopped reading haha, but it seems ok. I think you shouldn't read it exactly but use it as guide notes. This allows you to maintain eye contact and help capture the audience. Theres a few things I would clean up, maybe make it a bit more direct, but other than that good work :)

JPHamlett
11-14-2009, 12:22 AM
gave this sppech two days ago got 26 outta 30 on it