PDA

View Full Version : Windows Tweaks

hlstriker
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, here are the tweaks... enjoy!

1. Faster GUI Loading:
If you have windows xp, use the classic theme... this really helps when loading anything with a windows GUI.

2. Faster Boot Up:
Processes are little programs that are running in the background of your computer. While they could help you achieving your daily taks, most of the processes running are useless and wastes you loading time and RAM.

Here's how we view the processes who are supposed to start at startup:
1) Open the Start menu by clicking on the Start button
2) Click on the Run... item.
3) Into the "Open:" text box, type msconfig

The "System Configuration Utility" should appear.

Now, click the "BOOT.INI" tab, and in that tab, check the checkbox next to "/SOS".

What this checkbox will do is that it will disable the Windows boot screen and, instead, will the display the list of the DLLs that Windows is currently loading. This will decrease your boot time by a bit and will even offer a greater debugging feature because if Windows fails, you'll see at what DLL it exactly failed!

-------------------------------------------

Tweaking processes:
Using the same "System Configuration Utility" window, we'll tweak our startup processes. To do this, click on the "Startup" tab. You will now see all the processes that are loaded on startup (only checked ones will load). So go through the list and find all the ones you KNOW you don't need or want and uncheck them. Now push "OK".

3. Services
Services are little programs that are hidden in your memory and are used to help accomplishing the task to other programs. In fact, you can even run any program as a service if you use FireDaemon.

The problem with Windows is that there are a lot of useless services that are running all the time. I won't be able to recommend which services to disable as each and every computer is different.

Disabling Services:
First, we need to open the services "viewer". To do this, go to start and then click run. In the run dialog type in services.msc and press enter.

To disable a service, you double click on the service you want to disable, then, you roll down the "Startup type:" drop down box and click on disabled. To finish you press the OK button.

Here are some useless services you can probably disable...

Alerter
Background Intelligent Transfer
ClipBook
Help and Support
Indexing Service
Messenger
Net Logon
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Performance Logs and Alerts
Portable Media Serial Number Service
QoS RSVP
Smart Card
Uninterruptable Power Supply
Wireless Zero Configuration

Here is a website that tells you almost all the services and if it is safe to disable them or not...
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
(That site seems to be down atm)
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm
(This site is a backup since the one is down)

Home
04-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Ever heard of x-setup?
http://www.x-setup.net/downloads/home.asp?lang=EN , it allows you to tweak ANYTHING in the windows registry, providing a FULL description of each tweak, not just registry tweaks, but much more!
I had an old version of this, but i just downloaded the new one, it's got SO much more, my computer used to run so slow cause of all my invalid registry crap, spybot and adware wouldn't even get rid of it, x-setup fixed all that now my pc runs much better, and it no longer takes 50 seconds to boot

;) enjoy

~Home

Pwnd
04-05-2006, 09:58 AM
50 seconds to boot :|

It takes mine, like 15 :\

Home
04-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Pwnd someones got loads of crap on computer ;) mine boots like in 5 secs ;)

i used that on my old comp :)(it was slow ;9)

phantombmx
04-05-2006, 06:57 PM
god i feel crappy now.. what i do is boot and make a sandwich and by the time i finish eatin my sandwich its done booting.. maybe like 4-7 minutes!! :eek:

hlstriker
04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
4-7 minutes?!?!

My computer takes around 15-25 seconds to boot.

Home
04-05-2006, 07:28 PM
phantombx get some Programs or edit your windows Boot.ini etc or get some programs what edits your booting ;)

phantombmx
04-05-2006, 07:52 PM
nah i just need to get rid of all the crap on my comp.. i only got like 200 mb left to store stuff.. (its used to have like 2 gigs plus an external drive with 2 gigs..) so yeah i need to get rid of a lot.. its just me :rolleyes:

Home
04-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Phant(what ever) :p are you sure to you dont have something else than crap like viruses spywares etc... if u do i psuggets you to get NOD32 ;)

phantombmx
04-05-2006, 08:00 PM
no im positive its crap.. my mom downloads tons and so do i.. i bet i have every game from gamehouse and all those other "cheezy" game sites.. plus i got every game installed that i have discs for which include freespace (1 and 2), descent (1,2, and 3), starcraft 2 (plus extension), and about 17 others.... umm about 20,000 pictures from my camera.. all the software included with that.. 7,659 songs on iTunes.. i got tons of stuff you wouldnt even know.. :D i need to uninstall ALL of it..

btw just seperate it.. phantom bmx...
means ghostly figure.. and bike.. lol.. you can just call me phant or phantom.. somethin like that

oops.. noticed i put 2 gigs.. i have more than that.. i had A LOT of space.. now not much

Home
04-05-2006, 08:21 PM
ok if you got so much shit i suggest you to install whole Windows again ;p

phantombmx
04-05-2006, 08:42 PM
i would but uhh.. no windows xp disc.. damn computer never came with it.. :rolleyes: damn CompUSA

hlstriker
04-05-2006, 09:02 PM
i would but uhh.. no windows xp disc.. damn computer never came with it.. :rolleyes: damn CompUSA

Well, while you were planning on downloading all your 'legal' torrents, why not pick up something else you need while your torrent searching? *Whistles and walks away*, I didn't say anything!

phantombmx
04-05-2006, 10:39 PM
yeah but when my cd burner is completely messed up.. it'd be a miracle if it even opened.. let alone burn a disc.. and actually it would burn it.. literally.. FIRE FIRE!! :eek:

The Un-Named
04-08-2006, 12:24 PM
yeah but when my cd burner is completely messed up.. it'd be a miracle if it even opened.. let alone burn a disc.. and actually it would burn it.. literally.. FIRE FIRE!! :eek:

If my friend decided to run quake 4 on his pc, we wouldn't need a cooker.