PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up Your Windows PC!

hlstriker
04-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Is your computer running slower then when you first got it?! Then read these sections below on how to get your computer running fast again!

[Section 1 - SPYWARE/ADWARE]
I recommend having more then 1 Spyware/Adware program because they all seem to find some different things. Download these two programs and run them about once every one/two weeks.

Ad-aware - Download Page (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/)
Spybot - Search & Destroy - Download Page (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/)

Now your computer is Adware/Spyware free and should be a little more faster!

[Section 2 - VIRUSES]
We all know Viruses are icky things, and we do not want them! So download this program which I prefer to get rid of them!

avast! - Download Page (http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html)

This program is also just more then a Virus protector. It has firewalls, trojan blockers, and much much more! Run the virus program at least once a month.

[Section 3 - STARTUP PROGRAMS]
It seems alot of people have TONS of programs running on their computers startup. You can see alot of these programs down by the computers clock.

Turning all of your small programs off on startup is good to do. ONLY turn off the small programs though, such as Instant Messengers, Games, just things like that. Never turn off a Virus Protector or Firewall (other important stuff too!).

To turn these programs off, go into the main program, and usually in the Options/Settings/Preferences there is a spot that says "Run this program on startup.". It may not always say that, so just look for something close!

[Section 4 - DEFRAGMENTER]
Follow these steps to Defrag your computer!

1)Go into "My Computer".

2)Right click your hard drive icon (usually "C:"), then click "Properties".

3)Now you will see a Dialog Box with tabs at the top. Click on the "Tools" tab then click the "Defragment Now..." button.

4)The Disk Defragmenter screen will now appear, Click on Analyze. This will check your drives and will only take a few seconds. If your result shows a lot of red, then click on "Defragment" to continue. Be warned this may take several hours, so don’t run it, if you are going to need the computer in a rush. Run it over night or before you go somewhere.

Run the Defrag at least once a month.

[Section 5 - SCANDISK]
Follow these steps to run Scandisk.

1)Go into "My Computer".

2)Right click your hard drive icon (usually "C:"), then click "Properties".

3)Now you will see a Dialog Box with tabs at the top. Click on the "Tools" tab then click the "Check Now..." button.

4)The scandisk screen will now appear, select all the boxes and click on “Start”. Scandisk will begin. Be warned this may take several hours, so don’t run it, if you are going to need the computer in a rush. Run it over night or before you go somewhere.

Run Scandisk at least once a month.

[Section 6 - SOFTWARE]
Not much here, just something to Defrag your RAM.

RAM Def - Download Page (http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10185812.html?tag=lst-0-13)

RAM Def can defragment you RAM when reching a warning level, or silently (with command line parameters). It excels in terms of reliability and speed and the full support it offers to its users, with help files, a troubleshooting guide, tips, online assistance, and a forum guarantees you peace of mind along with XTreme performance.

[Section 7 - Update Windows and Drivers]
Drivers

Drivers are a very important update. For example keeping your graphics driver updated can improve performance of the graphics card by quite a significant amount. I recall one such driver that gave a performance boast of 40% from the original.

Updated drivers also provide enhanced performance, and compatibility with programs and games, so don’t wait, update today.

Windows Updates

Not only will some updates improve performance but they will also make your computer more secure and reliable. Important updates for Windows XP, 2000 and NT are the service packs, which are a compilation of small patches and fixes. These updates should always be downloaded, or retrieved from magazine cover disks. (The Service Packs tend to be very large files, so unless you are on broadband do not download)

Where to get the Updates

There are three main places where you can get your updates. The first is within windows. To do this is quite simply. Simply click on start, from your desktop and then click on “WINDOWS UPDATE”. You must be connected to the Internet for this.

Secondly you can access the Windows Update web page from your browser by using the following address, http://www.windowsupdate.com

Lastly, for mainly drivers, do a search on the net. E.G. if you have an Nvidia Geforce graphics Card then search for “NVIDIA GEFORCE GRAPHICS DRIVER”, in a search engine (e.g. www.google.com ).

[Section 8 - Other Useful Things!]

Crap Cleaner - Download Page (http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp) (Program to clean up all the "crap" on your PC!)

Pwnd
04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
You can defrag ram? Lmao.

Thanks, btw.

hlstriker
04-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah no problem.

BTW, there is a much much x10000 better HDD defragmenter out there called 'Diskeeper'. It so owns the Winblows defragger :) Only downside is you have to pay for it, but there is a free trial.

-chaos-
04-05-2006, 03:41 AM
umm you might wanna add a firewall i use zonealarm suite 6.0 pro

Home
04-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Yeah no problem.

BTW, there is a much much x10000 better HDD defragmenter out there called 'Diskeeper'. It so owns the Winblows defragger :) Only downside is you have to pay for it, but there is a free trial.

if someone wants defrag i suggest t use Perfect disk;) nice tut BTW :)

Pwnd
04-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah no problem.

I don't pay for anything.

<3 Torrents

;D

phantombmx
04-05-2006, 06:45 PM
hey pwnd, what torrent thing you use? i tried BitTorrent but its really crappy.. any suggestions on it? and im not talkin bout where to get the torrents.. its how to actually use them (like unzip type of thing :D )

hlstriker
04-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't use BitTorrent... I read somewhere that the newest versions leak information to hollywood and they are catching people downloading their movies...

I like BitLord myself!

Home
04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
lol allthose are shits i suggest Azureus safestt downloading safepeer etc and it is fastest :p

hlstriker
04-05-2006, 09:05 PM
... and it is fastest :p

I don't know how a torrent program can be the fastest as you are downloading from different users, not the program itself. I think i'll just stick with BitLord :P

Home
04-06-2006, 12:55 PM
well they got whole diffrent seeding method :p and azureus gots plugins etc what make downloading faster...;) and Azureus is best :)

~Home

phantombmx
04-06-2006, 06:09 PM
yeah i agree with you now Home.. just downloaded it and it is extremely fast.. its also very noob friendly :D like all you gotta do for a simple torrent is just download the torrent itself (i get mine from like thepiratebay or somethin like that) and double click it once its done.. voila thanks tho Home.. now i got what i need.. all i need to do now is get rid of all the programs i have.. disk clean.. ect... and then im good! :rolleyes: last night i defragged and it was scary.. MFT usage was 96% of total MFT.. it said critical.. :eek:

Home
04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
well what i said :p

(OFFTOPIC)
BTW:I'am gonna make tut about computers/program/etc...

but what you guys suggest me to do what info you want more about?
(OFFTOPIC)

~Home

xfire
08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
great guide, CCleaner works wonders.

lethalpunk
08-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks , im doing everything you said now . ill tell you if i see any diffrence :)

Widget
08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
To pick what goes on your startup, go to Start > Run > type "msconfig" and press OK. Pick Selective Startup, go to the Startup tab, and uncheck what you don't want to run :). Click Ok, restart the computer, and click Ok or whatever to the window that pops up saying you did something fancy with msconfig.

Edit: xfire did an epic gravedig, but I'm not sure if these are sorted by date anyway :p

Current
01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Wow thanks man, great guide worked my computer is literally x5 faster.

Tickyy
02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow thanks man, great guide worked my computer is literally x5 faster.

hell yeah man 4 years old grave-dig, you rock :D!!!

Edit: Still though this is a tutorial... some say that you can't grave-dig tuts.

caterham20
02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the guide, going to do sec. 3 and 4 right now.

Godric
02-10-2012, 01:14 AM
This is perfect for my PC to get back being fast again.
I do all the steps most of the time, but i rarely do DEFRAGMENTER.

Clairvoyance
06-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes,this pretty much covers it all.I do all of this about once a month with antivirus and spyware protection ON all time.

cycrosism
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
May I suggest to everyone here who follows this guide: DO NOT defrag your harddrive if it is a solid state harddrive (SSD), and NOT a magnetic one.

Doing so will wear out your harddrive, as each cell only has a limited number of writes.

Green Bay Packers
06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Ad-aware is pretty bad. You should just use Malwarebytes.

litoris
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
1) Set up a linux distribution
2) Enjoy extensive speed on low end machines while not being able to get malware

m3gaman3g3nd
01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
also check out this page for a useful tip on optimazation
http://www.itninja.com/question/how-do-i-stop-start-service-in-vbscript

even better
http://www.windows-commandline.com/2010/08/start-stop-service-command-line.html

Turpinator
01-16-2013, 03:58 AM
[Section 6 - SOFTWARE]
Not much here, just something to Defrag your RAM.

RAM Def - Download Page (http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10185812.html?tag=lst-0-13)

RAM Def can defragment you RAM when reching a warning level, or silently (with command line parameters). It excels in terms of reliability and speed and the full support it offers to its users, with help files, a troubleshooting guide, tips, online assistance, and a forum guarantees you peace of mind along with XTreme performance.

http://i.imgur.com/5RYLg.jpg?1
(thats lolwut) --- Restart computer, ram 'defragged'
http://bitsum.com/virtual_memory_facts_and_memory_optimizer_scams.ph p

2) Enjoy extensive speed on low end machines while not being able to get malware
Again, http://i.imgur.com/5RYLg.jpg?1

lets clarify this one too. Linux CAN get viruses and be infected by malware. Its just like a Mac. if some hipster every tells you they like their mac better because they cant get viruses, slap that motherf cka so hard he will think he was the first one to ever get slapped.
Linux and Mac machines are less likely to be infected by malware because less are written for linux and mac and they are not distributed as often because most people use windows.
Linux is great and all, but dont go around spreading false information.

grats
01-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Never saw this thread before, damn it's old!

I'd just like to say, defragging your memory (RAM) would slow it down. (same as SSD)

ShawnjohnSJ
01-31-2013, 01:06 AM
Never saw this thread before, damn it's old!

I'd just like to say, defragging your memory (RAM) would slow it down. (same as SSD)

How so? I don't understand how defragmenting RAM or an SSD would slow either one down.

Turpinator
01-31-2013, 03:10 AM
How so? I don't understand how defragmenting RAM or an SSD would slow either one down.

Defragging a ssd actually is bad because each 'memory unit' has a specific number of writes and rewrites before it fails. So dont EVER defrag a ssd.

as for the ram... well i really cant say there is or is not an advantage to defragging it. Ive never heard of it and it sounds like complete bs to me. Each 'value'/bit/etc on the ram has the same speed as the one next to it, therefore they all have the same access speed.
perhaps this defragging ram program really just tries to release some virtual memory used up by programs that havent released it properly or maybe just kills a few unneeded processes.

grats
01-31-2013, 03:54 AM
before it starts to degrade * not fail

most MLC drives today will last longer than anyone will have them and in some cases longer than most people will live, so there's really no issue there.. the issue is that defragging isn't beneficial to your ssd at all, so there's no reason to do it.. the fact it causes harm and slows them down is just icing on the cake