PDA

View Full Version : A speech about humour

Floor66
12-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I need to make a 4-minute speech about humour (british english! :p)

Humour

We all laugh every day, think about it, you might not always notice it. People have different opinions on what is funny, and what isn’t. Without humour the world would be all dark and sober, I could not possibly think of a world without it.
Someone might laugh because of a joke, but someone else might find it offensive, so you have to be careful with what you joke about. You might joke about someone’s accent, but if you’d tell that joke in the region where that accent is used, you might better want to think twice before doing that.
There are people that tell jokes as their job, you might see them on TV sometimes. The jokes they tell can sometimes be very offensive to a certain race or culture, but the people watching still think they’re funny, so they are tolerated.
There is also humour in the media, a joke being pulled on a reporter, for example. Or maybe you know shows like Bananasplit, Ushi en Dushi, or Stom, Stommer, Stomst. The last one usually involves someone doing something really stupid, and possibly hurting him/herself.

Laughter

Laughter is an audible expression or appearance of happiness, or an inward feeling of joy (laughing on the inside). Strong laughter can sometimes bring an onset of tears or even moderate muscular pain.
Laughter is found among various animals, as well as in humans. Among the human species, it is a part of human behaviour regulated by the brain, helping humans clarify their intentions in social interaction and providing an emotional context to conversations. Laughter is used as a signal for being part of a group — it signals acceptance and positive interactions with others. Laughter is sometimes seemingly contagious, and the laughter of one person can itself provoke laughter from others as a positive feedback. This may account in part for the popularity of laugh tracks in situation comedy television shows.

We need humour, just like we need food and water. Humour can brighten dark days and turn a frown in to a smile!

That's what I have so far. I'm all out of inspiration :'( And it's due for tomorrow. Give me some leads.

marpis
12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Well it's a 4-minute speech, don't get much more text than that.

Floor66
12-06-2009, 06:48 PM
That text is ~2 mins tbh. I need some more but I'm just empty

mastaraymond
12-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Explain what muscles you use when laughing :D

scubajesus
12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I see what you did with the first line of laughter there, Wikipedia is always good.

Add a bit about how laughter can be used as a coping mechanism. Since it's British comedy you could bring up some of the pioneers or most famous actors or comedians.

I don't know the context of your speech or if it fits your personality, but I would start it off with something like.

Oggy Oggy Oggy! Oi Oi Oi!
Right, now that we got that out of my system, I would like to talk to you about humour, laughter, and all things of that sort. Modern neurophysiology states that laughter is linked with the activation of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, which produces endorphins after a rewarding activity. To put it simply, laughing makes you feel good, you feel good because you laugh; if you want further information on the chemicals and other words with more than six syllables then feel free to wiki it.

Santa_Clause
12-07-2009, 03:20 AM
I see what you did with the first line of laughter there, Wikipedia is always good.

Add a bit about how laughter can be used as a coping mechanism. Since it's British comedy you could bring up some of the pioneers or most famous actors or comedians.

I don't know the context of your speech or if it fits your personality, but I would start it off with something like.

Haha! Not bad :p I would seriously consider using that Floor, it's alot more interesting than yours, no offence :D

Floor66
12-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Hmm, none taken :p I suck at stuff like this.
Thanks for all the help, I'll see how it goes today :)

Brain
12-07-2009, 06:48 AM
tell a british joke?

Santa_Clause
12-07-2009, 07:53 AM
'[Teacher's name here] is so fat, that he's taller when he lies down'. Should guarantee you a zero.

Camaro'
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
'[Teacher's name here] is so fat, that he's taller when he lies down'. Should guarantee you a zero.

Dam, that was so good. :)

Floor, tell us how it go's.

Floor66
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Went all good, I think I'mma get a high mark :D

R0b0t1
12-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Have a paragraph consisting of the word penis or other various body parts.

Blumblebee
12-09-2009, 03:54 AM
tell racist jokes it will go over really well.

Freddy1990
12-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Start it off with a clever joke. Please, no lame jokes, they'll hate you :)

Baked0420
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Went all good, I think I'mma get a high mark :D

lol people are still giving you suggestions even after you said you did it already and you think you did well. So what did you wind up adding onto your speech from the originally posted speech?

Floor66
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I timed myself with what I had, came about 1.5 min short.
Added small bits here and there, and a piece about types of laughs.

Baked0420
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I timed myself with what I had, came about 1.5 min short.
Added small bits here and there, and a piece about types of laughs.

types of laughs? you mean like people faking a laugh or being serious? if not what do you mean.

Floor66
12-11-2009, 02:39 PM
I meant stuff like a chuckle, snort, etc.

Baked0420
12-11-2009, 02:41 PM
oh, lol you talked bout snorting.

did you talk about the use of "lol" also? :p

Floor66
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
nah, would be too long then. I got it to 4.09 mins.

peterjames12
08-20-2010, 05:12 AM
As per my review your preparation is too good for speech. You can try to improve Speaking skills as per your power and also improve you vocabulary Speaking skills.

Markus
08-20-2010, 11:12 AM
gravedig, closed.