PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your adult material a secret.

scubajesus
12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
So here's my secrets. This is for Windows, I can't speak for other OS's.

First, hidden files/folders. Keep your stash in a folder with a common name in a normal location. i.e. C:\Users\Jesus\savedata

Right click the folder, and under the general tab, the bottom option in the group Attributes is a check box for Hidden. Check this, and select 'Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files". I believe this was a feature implemented to help prevent inexperienced people from messing up important system files.

To view/unview hidden items; while in a folder, go to the 'Tools' drop down (windows 7 can tap Alt then T) and select 'Folder options'. Change to the 'View' tab. There will be a folder about 6 boxes down called 'Hidden files and folders', select the 'Don't show' or 'Show' button to toggle it, and hit apply/OK.

This will stop the simplest of stumbling upon. Now we need to make sure no one finds it through history. Right click your task bar and go to properties. In the start menu tab, there is a 'Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" check box, uncheck it.

Lastly, searching. For Vista and 7, you can disable windows search as the easiest option. If you use search, then the alternative choice would be to make the files not indexed. Right click the folder, general tab, under attributes go to Advanced, and uncheck index these files. Then make sure your computer only searches indexed locations. In a folder, tools, folder options, go to the Search tab, and [What to search] set to 'In indexed locations...' I believe Windows XP is out of luck on this, if such is the case avoid having explicit names in your files.

Your stash is now pretty hard to find. For increased hiding, you can also use a flash drive (assuming you have a big enough drive.) So what about browsing? You could go through the continued erasing of cookies, history, temp files, etc. every time you go searching, but there's an easier way that I do.

What about program history, such as Windows Media Player's "Recently opened files" and its tendency to keep the last file open? I personally recommend using VLC Media player, it covers a lot of different file types, and you can turn off the list of recently played items in preferences.

I recommend using a portable version of a browser. You can find some here. (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet) I personally use Firefox Portable because of the addons. It will run much faster on your computer, my suggestion is to install it to 'C:\Firefox Portable'. Once it finishes installing, make it hidden and disable indexing. You can use this browser safely, since most people won't try to find a hidden browser if there's a normal one on desktop/taskbar/start menu.

So you now have your own private browser and stash that is hidden and excluded from searches, along with no history of browsing.

Cigue
12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1408/zik.jpg

Would you suspect this particular system file of concealing 2GB of pr0n?

Floor66
12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Thumbs.db is a windows-generated file iirc.

scubajesus
12-07-2009, 07:50 PM
You're welcome to contribute your secrets Cigue.
There is an annoying but effective method that could continue from mine.

Use winrar to compress the contents of save data as 'save001.rar' then rename it to 'save001.sav'. To get your files, open the winrar program and extract the .sav, not a right click from explorer option.

Cazax
12-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Thumbs.db is a windows-generated file iirc.
He probably made a file with TrueCrypt and changed the icon, changed its property to hidden and the name. But I would suspect if the folder is empty because Thumbs.db is generated when you view images, documents, etc in the same folder.

Zyt3x
12-07-2009, 10:45 PM
For images I usually save them as bmps and uses scar to "encrypt" the bitmap into a string and save the string as .sav, that way it takes a lot less space and it's hidden for anyone but me and those of you who's reading this.

Wizzup?
12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Pfff...

I guess if you really want to hide files from people, use an Operating System that allows proper permissions. Also, make sure no one else has access to your account. Giving someone else access to it kind of defeats the point of security.

And if you can't, simply use GPG to encrypt your files in a way even the FBI can't decrypt it.

http://www.gnupg.org/

tls
12-08-2009, 01:04 AM
If you have to hide it, you probably shouldn't have it. Just saying.

scubajesus
12-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Well I don't HAVE to, but I'd prefer to. Girlfriend is the jealous type, and I still live with my parents while attending college and working a part time job. Rather not have mom find find my stash.

Cigue
12-08-2009, 02:30 AM
I find this thread hilarious :D

also...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5663/nouveauimagebitmap1.jpg

FTW :)

Zyt3x
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I guess if you really want to hide files from people, use an Operating System that allows proper permissions. Also, make sure no one else has access to your account. Giving someone else access to it kind of defeats the point of security.Placing them where everybody can see it is also a form of security.. creating a file with all your material (wow.. size of that file would be big!) and adding it to the desktop and renaming it to i.e "World of Warcraft" and changing the icon would make no one expect the file to contain pr0n

Wizzup?
12-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Placing them where everybody can see it is also a form of security.. creating a file with all your material (wow.. size of that file would be big!) and adding it to the desktop and renaming it to i.e "World of Warcraft" and changing the icon would make no one expect the file to contain pr0n

I guess you mean security through obscurity. Because making a folder thumbs.db and putting files in there is just obscurity.

tls
12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I meant to say shouldn't...