PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT READ ALL: UID.dat has Moved!!!

WT-Fakawi
01-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Sneaky move from our beloved Corporation:

The UID.dat is now located at c://WINDOWS/.jagex_cache_32/UID.dat!!!!

dlsa
01-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow. Kinda a scare for a second. Just traded 4k or so of something over.

bullzeye95
01-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Ohh nice catch Fawki!

ROFL, I pwnd Jagex xD. I overwrited the UID.dat file and set it to read only. It worked. It stays at 0kb!

DaWu
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Lol, for me its still in .file_store32 ? ;O

bullzeye95
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, that's probably the old one.

tarajunky
01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
I noticed this last night. I deleted the uid.dat, then loaded up RS. The file wasn't re-created, which left me wondering what was going on.

Thanks for clearing that up Fakawi. :)

Yakman
01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
well this is what iv noticed...

i had a UID in the old .file_store32, when i load up the applet, nothing changes

i delete the UID, load the applet again, .file_store stays, but i get a new folder called Jagex_cache, with a single file inside, UID

i delete the entire .file_store32, and load the applet again, i get a new folder called jagex_cache with UID and all the other signed applet files

conculsion: they have changed to another folder, but they still check for the old folder, they only move if the old folder isnt detected,
this could mean that legit players who dont know about UID.dat could have the old folder for years to come

bobert5696
01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
hmmm... they could have other folders to that we don't know about...
edit: i don't have that folder, just looked... weird

Cheesehunk
01-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks Fakawi, I was just looking for my UID file the other day.. :)

Ejjman
02-01-2007, 01:07 AM
What exactly is the UID..? :S

Hobbit
02-01-2007, 02:29 AM
What exactly is the UID..? :S

yah i noticed the new folder yesterday morning...

the UID is a file that when u connect to the rs client thingy ma-bob....u get the file there and it tells jagex who's loged in on that computer and blah blah....just its safer if its not there :tongue:

Boreas
02-01-2007, 03:00 AM
Has anyone ever read a uid.dat? My understanding is that dat is a file extension for anything, and it only can be read if you know what created it. Do we know?

Yakman
02-01-2007, 07:46 AM
hmmm... they could have other folders to that we don't know about...
edit: i don't have that folder, just looked... weird
i think we would find out because those java people who deobfuscate the client would look thought it and see where it stores the UID this time

Has anyone ever read a uid.dat? My understanding is that dat is a file extension for anything, and it only can be read if you know what created it. Do we know?
its encrypted with java so only other java can read it, but iv heard its only a serial number, like 4545567

Freddy1990
02-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Meh, i beter update my plugin soon :)

bullzeye95
02-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Haha I seriously pwnd it! I overwirted one and set it to Read Only, then it showed up in another location. I kept doing that (about 5 times or so) and now Jagex can't give me a UID xD

t0tum
02-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Haha I seriously pwnd it! I overwirted one and set it to Read Only, then it showed up in another location.
I did that too, but UID havent popped up anywhere. Perhaps u could tell where to look?

bullzeye95
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Just do a system search for UID.dat.

oliver1205
02-09-2007, 01:01 AM
my 87 main just thanked you for this

Hobbit
02-09-2007, 05:06 AM
yah i made the file read only then they moved the jagex_store_32 file out of the WINDOWS file and into jsut the main cdrive files....i got a question...is that legal for jagex to do though?? moving our files around?

Krichevskoy
02-09-2007, 05:55 AM

It's a big-endian random integer written out to a file.

try
{
File file1 = new File(file, "uid.dat");
if(i1 == 1 && (!file1.exists() || 4L > file1.length()))
{
int l1 = -1;
Random random = new Random();
for(; -1 == l1; l1 = random.nextInt());
DataOutputStream dataoutputstream = new DataOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(file1));
dataoutputstream.writeInt(l1);
dataoutputstream.close();
}
if(file1.exists())
{
flag = true;
DataInputStream datainputstream = new DataInputStream(new FileInputStream(file1));
c = 1 + datainputstream.readInt();
datainputstream.close();
}
break label0;
}
catch(Exception exception1) { }

If the .file_store_32 copy of a file exists, it will use that one. Finding the new folders is as simple as this:

as1 = (new String[] {
".jagex_cache_" + arg1, ".file_store_" + arg1
});

Boreas
02-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Cool. So do we know exactly what information is recorded and when?

Krichevskoy
02-10-2007, 03:55 AM
Cool. So do we know exactly what information is recorded and when?

Yeah, for UID. Otherwise it depends on what kind of information you're talking about.

-fedexer-
02-12-2007, 02:38 PM
hmm so i take it it would be in my best interest to make the UID read only?

moparisthebest
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
hmm so i take it it would be in my best interest to make the UID read only?

Not really, you want to have a different UID for every runescape character that you own so there is nothing to link them together.

Cheesehunk
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Not really, you want to have a different UID for every runescape character that you own so there is nothing to link them together.
When I auto, I play un-signed, would that draw any attention since the UID is randomly generated? When I un-flag my characters or play legit, I have a file with each of my players UID's in it, and I put the players UID into the Jagex folder. Would this decrease my chances of getting banned?

The Un-Named
02-14-2007, 11:45 PM

What about making a blank file called UID.dat and making it read only? That way they can't make the UID.dat?

Yakman
02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
What about making a blank file called UID.dat and making it read only? That way they can't make the UID.dat?

theres a method in the java class File which can check for that

boolean canWrite()
Tests whether the application can modify to the file denoted by this abstract pathname.

i think they might get suspitous if they cant write to their own UID file