PDA

View Full Version : RS going down?

botmaster
02-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I've gotten the feeling that Jagex is slowly but surely starting to disintegrate and loose control over their game. Got a link to a post of me explaining things:

Go here to read it (http://villu-reborn.com/showthread.php?p=56799#post56799).

Sorry for the external link, just didn't feel like copying it all again :-P. Anyways, I suspect Jagex is starting to get financial troubles.:eek: Any ideas wether this could be true?

Boreas
02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, looks like its the final showdown to me. Jagex begging a site to censor material, that doesn't sound very in control to me... Something is seriously wrong with that. Yes, as sythe and Boreas say, it looks like Jagex is slowly but surely destroying their own creation. Maybe its because of financial problems and because they are loosing players - and here's why:

People think that RS is gay, and that for a couple of reasons.

1. The game is just too repetitive. Its takes too long to level up, people want instant gratification. Hell, thats what games were developed for!
2. Graphics suck.
3. Gameplay is too complex for people that don't have a lot of time on hand, like most people this game is supposed to appeal to (students, college workers, etc., note that they don't have time).

So, when people think that RS is gay, they start laughing at their friends who actually bother playing RS. Result is, that the person being laughed at wants to integrate with his friends and stops playing (this happens the same in europe, australia, and america, lived there and heard same thing bout RS). He/She then realizes how much time was wasted playing that repetitive game :P .

Finally, those that don't get themselves stopped by their friends realize that the game takes too much time. Results are obvious: We get autoers. People start getting drawn away from the game and auto like hell (we do, in a l337 style ).

Eventually, all this is gonna lead to two things: RS not making enough money from advertisements, and wasted resource time (servers are autoed). Consequences:

1. Anti-Autoer Updates - Essence, better macro system, etc. all done against autoers. This partially ties in with #3. Updates disguisedd as "new features".
2. MAKE F2P VIEW THE ADS TO CHARGE MORE FOR ADVERTISING! - client rules changed, you MUST be able to view ads. Another indication jagex is low on money.
3. More updates to appeal to more users and gain new players - look at all the extreme updates, client interface, more randoms (well, also because of us). Its freaking crazy. Jagex has been in an update frenzy for the last 3 months, and that for good reasons. NOT ENOUGH NEW PLAYERS. Means less people will ever go p2p = less money.

I think we can all draw our conclusions from that. The final blow will probably come soon, jagex being sued or something like that. Soo... wonder what we're gonna do after RS has been pwned?

You make some good points, but I don't know if they definitely lead to that conclusion. A better way to tell is keep track of the number of players, especially the members (but not just members because the ads make money on f2p).

Could someone write something that gets the number on the top of the main page every day/hour and save it to a file?

botmaster
02-02-2007, 12:43 AM
One sec... *types stuff* DONE! ;)

Okay, here it is. A little pompous, I used a little bit too much commenting, but oh well :P. Logs it to a file, if anyone wants you can add a timer. Feel free to edit it, just don't remove anything where I said you couldn't (see comments).

Hobbit
02-02-2007, 05:50 AM
i really really really really really really really (ok i got tired of saying really) but anyway imagine it keeps going on.....i dought jagex will go down there members join rate has defenately been going up...cause i remember when member worlds were like nearly empty...now its way way more populated then it was say a year ago....soooooo i highly dought it

Windoze
02-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Good points, but they seem not to be true when you apply the server traffic. Members worlds are becoming increasingly more full in my eyes, the number of players is always over 120,000 when i am playing.

Yeah runescapes a little repetitive, but look at the variety of skills, get bored of one, try another.

what kinda game would it be if everyone got Max level uber status very quickly, there would be no competition.

It's funny when people make fun of runescape, because though the graphics suck, its a brilliant game and you know that when they go home they also play it alone in there bedrooms hiding themselves from the truth =p that runescape is the ownage.(just my theory, not 100% true haha)

Cstrike
10-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Members worlds are so irritatingly full now. I don't expect that much for 5-6$ a month, but all the worlds are more crowded than most F2P worlds (minus trading ones). :(

Harry
10-05-2010, 04:20 AM
That was a professional bump.

I do agree though, Jagex makes a ton per month in Membership, they need to get more servers.

Becks
10-05-2010, 05:26 PM
3 year bump. Damn I feel like rs was more crowded back in 2007

weequ
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Has anyone else noticed that they have started advertising rival games in their adverts.
If I remember correctly they didn't advertise them back then...

Isn't advertising other games in you're game a bit stupid move?

Becks
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Has anyone else noticed that they have started advertising rival games in their adverts.
If I remember correctly they didn't advertise them back then...

Isn't advertising other games in you're game a bit stupid move?

Who clicks ad's? :p I feel its just ad-space sold to companies that just use random generators that post ad's related to the website. Jagex is a company and income is income. :?

Cstrike
10-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Oh crap did realize how old the thread was. Usually I don't bump old threads :/
I think the person who did bump it deleted their post (making it look like me)
OR
I did bump it and I'm retarded :(

I've never noticed rival game adverts (probably since I auto all the time or play on members ;)
I'll check some F2P adds and see if they're advertising certain things. Hopefully not Evony online-- the fact the game had to sell sex to sell was embarrassing.

weequ
10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Who clicks ad's? :p I feel its just ad-space sold to companies that just use random generators that post ad's related to the website. Jagex is a company and income is income. :?They should still be able to control what adverts they want to show. Atleast you can do that with google adsence.