PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word / OpenOffice Homewerk

Dervish
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I got this homewerk :

-Send an email to the teacher, with a paragraph and 2 attached files :
-MS Word file
-MS Excel graph (gravity graph (g=p/m))

I need help with the MS Word file as you must do something special to show your knowledge of it.

More knowledge = More points.

Any ideas of what I could do ?

Wizzup?
06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I got this homewerk :

-Send an email to the teacher, with a paragraph and 2 attached files :
-MS Word file
-MS Excel graph (gravity graph (g=p/m))

I need help with the MS Word file as you must do something special to show your knowledge of it.

More knowledge = More points.

Any ideas of what I could do ?

Use OpenOffice and turn it into a PDF.
Print the graph to PDF as well.

Dervish
06-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Use OpenOffice and turn it into a PDF.
Print the graph to PDF as well.

Hmm is there anything special between PDF and OpenOffice ?

XcanadamanX
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
you can add some VB into it and make some buttons and stuff.

Wizzup?
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Hmm is there anything special between PDF and OpenOffice ?

OpenOffice shows you have knowledge that goes beyond basic Word usage, and PDF is the preferred (read: best) format for just about any possible essay/homework/report/other document.

Dervish
06-04-2010, 03:02 PM
you can add some VB into it and make some buttons and stuff.

Would that work in Open Office ?

Knowing I save in word or PDF document..?

Edit : just checked, I apparently would need a VB editor... Hmm is there any in Open Office?

OpenOffice shows you have knowledge that goes beyond basic Word usage, and PDF is the preferred (read: best) format for just about any possible essay/homework/report/other document.

Thank you.

I still appreciate any more ideas :)

Edit2 : found the Dialogue window editor, might be useful.

Tim0suprem0
06-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I feel like using OpenOffice is kind of risky, since the assignment asks for a Word document. Either the teacher thinks its great or you get 0 points for not following the assignment. I'd just stick to the Word file and think of ways to show your knowledge of it.

A quick google search gave me these:

http://wordprocessing.about.com/cs/introtowor1/a/wordoutline_3.htm

http://www2.tntech.edu/cc/pubs/pdf/AdvWord97.pdf

PDF is the preferred (read: best) format for just about any possible essay/homework/report/other document.

Why is this? I've never heard that before.

XcanadamanX
06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Would that work in Open Office ? it works in word. no idea about open office

Nava2
06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
OpenOffice can export to almost ANY document type.

Wizzup?
06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I feel like using OpenOffice is kind of risky, since the assignment asks for a Word document. Either the teacher thinks its great or you get 0 points for not following the assignment. I'd just stick to the Word file and think of ways to show your knowledge of it.

A quick google search gave me these:

http://wordprocessing.about.com/cs/introtowor1/a/wordoutline_3.htm

http://www2.tntech.edu/cc/pubs/pdf/AdvWord97.pdf

Why is this? I've never heard that before.

If the teacher does not allow you to use PDF's he's a retard and you have a pretty strong case against him. But if you're not in for that adventure, you can just abide by the monopoly and let go of your freedom... ;)

Tim0suprem0
06-04-2010, 06:49 PM
If the teacher does not allow you to use PDF's he's a retard and you have a pretty strong case against him. But if you're not in for that adventure, you can just abide by the monopoly and let go of your freedom... ;)

At my university we have a dropbox system, and the upload form only accepts .doc or .docx :redface:

And this is a university of 40,000+ students, sadly.

XcanadamanX
06-04-2010, 07:13 PM
my university only accepts .pdf

Tim0suprem0
06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
my university only accepts .pdf

So weird, I'm hoping some Americans hop on this thread and back me up, because I honestly have never heard of turning in an essay as PDF in my life.

Method
06-04-2010, 09:22 PM
So weird, I'm hoping some Americans hop on this thread and back me up, because I honestly have never heard of turning in an essay as PDF in my life.

I haven't either, but the plagiarism checking software my school uses accepts quite a few document formats.

Dervish
06-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I haven't either, but the plagiarism checking software my school uses accepts quite a few document formats.

Sad that they actually have to use such things because of students plagiarising.

Method
06-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Sad that they actually have to use such things because of students plagiarising.

I don't mind it and I think it's a good system to have in place considering how easy and appealing it is for some students to cheat.