PDA

View Full Version : The Usefulness of CMD

chaoyd
06-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Yes I can hear it now. "Windows Command Prompt fails" "It's useless." Well maybe you'll get to learn something today. :). This is for Educational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

PS: (FukHaq5/ZPO Applies here)

**NOTE**This tutorial Does NOT work on Vista. It you need Admin access on Vista, try using *THE* VDM exploit. If interested, getting the code/reading up on this is just as easy as googling for it ;)). /**NOTE**

So A virus is keeping you from running Anti-Virus program or you forgot your admin password? Well have no fear, there is a simple method for getting %SYSTEM% access to your computer from a normal user account :D.

This is actually a simple process. It all depends on running the 'at' command on command prompt. To access command prompt, press windows key + R

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3703/opencommand.png

and type in 'cmd'. The black Dialog box is The command prompt.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6558/prompt.png

To get your local system time, type in 'time' and hit enter twice. Now (mentally) add around 1 minute to it. Now you will be doing the "real work".

Type this command in next

'at *time + 1 minute here* /interactive cmd.exe'

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3826/command.png

If you get a different output make sure you typed everything in correctly. Also note the time you enter should be different, and *MOST* the time your computer will be defaulted to a 12-hour clock.

Once your computer's clock reaches the time, a new command prompt will open.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7383/successi.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Notice the \System32> and its running under SVCHOST.EXE.

Congratulations, you are now SYSTEM. Have some fun,explore, learn something :).
--------------------------------------
A few activities for the reader:
1) Get Explorer.exe to run as SYSTEM.
2) Force a Password Change
3) Force an unstoppable Reboot
4) Rewrite your MsConfig (fun one :D). [And Most Useful if something, such as a virus, is blocking access to it]

--------------------------------------

Now I'm sure someone (Maybe?) wants to know WHY this works. Well here we are.

The At command is Windows Attempt at Crontab/Cronjobs. All it does is really schedule tasks to run at a certain time. For more options you can just type in at /? for a more complete list of Options.

The tag '/interactive' tells 'at' to interact DIRECTLY with the User(aka Userland). Now how does this get passed to SVCHOST? Well without getting too technical, SVCHOST has several processes running at once (for verification just check your task manager, you will see several). SVCHOST is "technically" a kernel service that runs in userland for interaction between the two.

When running something '/interactive', as the 'at' "man" page says, it interacts with the desktop of the user logged in, which (For those that don't know) is Explorer.exe. Explorer is responsible for several other processes, one being Command prompt! *GASP*.

It's 2 AM here so this might be a fail explanation. P:. I'll gladly explain anything else/clarify if needed :). Happy Readings

Nava2
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Perhaps have pics without the paint mess-up.. looks rather unprofessional.

If we know your first name, it really doesn't do anything for us. :p

chaoyd
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
^Yeah they were from when i threw it together for a project and all i had was paint :O.

I'll stay paranoid anyway. ;)

Narcle
06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
^Yeah they were from when i threw it together for a project and all i had was paint :O.

I'll stay paranoid anyway. ;)

Uh huh... Whatever you say Tim.

MylesMadness
06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Who cares what your drive letter is...

Awkwardsaw
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
maby explain more usefull functions and stuff? :)

maby example .bat files

Shady?
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Yea, hmm, letter...:sasmokin:

chaoyd
06-18-2010, 08:50 AM

Better safe than sorry. :)

maby explain more usefull functions and stuff? :)

maby example .bat files

Do you mean what other useful things 'at' can do? Or more uses for this particular 'at' command? Because AT can do basically what CronJobs do. Just schedules certain .exe/.bat/whatever program/script to run at a certain time.

i luffs yeww
06-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I think he means you should make a tutorial about other command prompt functions.

Dervish
06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
TBH CMD is not useful in any way, just doing stuff without GUI basically to make newf*gs think they're prohackers.

chaoyd
06-19-2010, 09:06 PM
TBH CMD is not useful in any way, just doing stuff without GUI basically to make newf*gs think they're prohackers.

Then you sir are just misinformed. Sure it's no terminal but it's incredibly helpful for doing many things quickly. (Though I'll take Terminal/Yakuake over it ANY day, hell I'd take Mac/OBSD's Terminal over windows anyday)

Awkwardsaw
06-19-2010, 09:10 PM

if you know what your doing its faster, :)

Littma
12-06-2011, 08:54 PM
CMD has the general functions of how DOS used to work--just slightly improved! Adding useful networking functions and or OS functions that cannot be easily accessed through the Windows GUI interface should be added to this guide.

A prime example would be the command: ipconfig /all

Adding multiple useful functions that people can use for multi-use purposes would make this guide useful. Other than that, I'm sorry but I see no use in this guide seeing anyone can open command prompt and type "help" for useful commands.

Guiding users through commands that are not in command prompt's default help list can be helpful, especially users who are looking for specific commands. Though on the flip side you can just go on the Microsoft website and find all the commands yourself.

Now if this guide was directed towards something specific for example: How to port forward/trigger your router with the assistance of CMD--that would be different seeing some users may need to port forward or port trigger a game console or just to open up some ports for various reasons.