PDA

View Full Version : Fix my computer!

Markus
08-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I last posted here at SRL, but I felt that you might be able to help me with this problem:
For 2.5 years now I got a PC with the following specs:

Asus P5K-E Wifi/Ap motherboard
Intel Q6600 CPU (G0 stepping)
Asus 8800GT 512mb gfx card
Kingston HyperX PC-8500 RAM (2x1gb, NVidia certified blabla)
Samsung HD200HJ 200gb hdd (unusable due to bad sectors)
Samsung HD103UJ 1tb hdd (around a year old)
Two Brand New Samsung HD103SJ hdds (I got them few hours ago, and they were never used once)
Prolimatech Megahalem CPU cooler (rev B)

As you read my hard drive died so I got two new ones, and I decided to build them in my computer. I open my case, put them in, wire all the cables around etc. and try to fire up my pc.
My Power LED flashes once (for 0.0001ms), after that: nothing!
So I was like ok, not every computer likes four hard drives so I plugged them all out (both power and sata cable).
Still: nothing happens!
Not even the power light turns on, no case fan starts to spin, no CPU fan, just nothing, nada, noppes.
So I get fucking angry and get a screwdriver. Right now my "PC" looks like this:
http://i35.tinypic.com/2nc05jn.jpg
From left to right: Four hard drives (3x 1tb, bottom-right is 200gb), PSU, Motherboard w/ cooler, 1gb ram module (blue thing left of gfx), videocard, casefan and a keyboard. On top of the cooler there's an MP3-player I used to check if the USB ports were still powered (they were).

Things I tried

Taking everything out of my PC except for CPU
Using reset button instead of power button for power-on
Manually connecting the power pins
Bridging the CLRTC jumper

Oh: please note that the power LED at my mobo is still turned on.

So wtf can I try? Tomorrow I'll try another PSU, but any other tips?
Gotta quit now because of empty laptop battery (seems vista has better battery-life than ubuntu, maybe because of Nouveau).

tarajunky
08-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Basically, you can remove and replace the round battery from the CMOS and it will reset the motherboard.

You should try with the absolute minimum, which would be Mobo, CPU+Fan, and Ram. That mobo should have integrated video, so hook that up instead of your video card.

If you can't even get the motherboard to post, then you're looking at either motherboard or PSU problems.

Shuttleu
08-17-2010, 07:50 PM
try removing the power from the psu and then press the power button, that will remove all power from the motherboard

~shut

Dynamite
08-17-2010, 08:53 PM
I am REALLY sorry to be a bit offtopic and not help, but, how much were your 1tb's? each

Markus
08-17-2010, 09:35 PM
@tara: already did, even with cpu/psu only it doesn't boot/beep. Not even POST. And yes, CMOS was cleared.
@shut: did to no avail
@The Man: 54 ea, shipping was 5.

I'll steal my dad's psu tomorow, anyone with other ideas?

Shuttleu
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
@shut: did to no avail
when you pressed the power button without the psu, did the lght on the motherboard go off?

~shut

tarajunky
08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I have almost the same setup. My guess is that your motherboard is fried. It could have been from static electricity if you weren't careful/grounded as you hooked things up.

I once built a computer and had the screw-in spacers under the board in the wrong places. As soon as I turned it on the first time it immediately fried the motherboard, and I had the same no-POST symptoms. The board was already a refurb, so I was able to return it without much trouble. >_>

Shuttleu
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
I have almost the same setup. My guess is that your motherboard is fried. It could have been from static electricity if you weren't careful/grounded as you hooked things up.

I once built a computer and had the screw-in spacers under the board in the wrong places. As soon as I turned it on the first time it immediately fried the motherboard, and I had the same no-POST symptoms. The board was already a refurb, so I was able to return it without much trouble. >_>

i had spacers in the wrong place before, it wouldnt turn on, but luckily i removed them and it worked, but obviously that isnt the case here

~shut

Mr.Klean
08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Static Electricity failure is such a low probability of it ever happening in my book, I don't think it ever has. I remember an old episode of "The Screen Savers" Yes the screen savers, wayyyy before attack of the show. They took a segment and dedicated it to the stupid anti static wrist bands and the risks of static to components. They tested a bunch of stuff and nothing fried. Finally to try an end all they took a fucking taser to a piece RAM and guess what? It STILL WORKED.

Although still I never work on carpeted floors.

Uhh I would re-assemble everything and make sure of your connections. If the same problem occurs I would give it a much more probable chance that your PSU kicked the bucket. See if you can borrow one and test.

D4rk Gr4y
08-18-2010, 09:54 AM
there should be lights on the motherboard and psu. if the psu has no light then its out. unless of course u just blew the outlet. so just go reset your breakers. but yeah the easiest way to see wats wrong is to replace everything one by one. aka first power supply. then motherboard. it has to be one of those 2. make sure you dont try a new power supply with the same 4 hdd hooked up. and ima go ahead and assume your pc is connected directly to an outlet and not an extender/splitter.

oh and lol at ur cubes and '98 keyboard

Markus
08-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Got it fixed by getting a new PSU (Antec Earthwatt 650 w/ever). This one actually has short circuit protection :)
I'm glad it was my PSU and not my motherboard, the board I got is quite hard to get nowadays (even on eBay) and I loved the P5K-E. It was the perfect board for me and still is.
On a second note, it seems that the real cause of my problem is a short-circuitting HDD (the 200gb, already semi-dead one) and not an insufficient wattage. I noticed that because with hard drive 1 attached it wouldn't boot (and I could hear some click in the new PSU) and with this HDD it boots (to OS X though, my Windows is at another drive. Luckily I got a backup <3)
@D4rk Gr4y: My PSU didn't have any lights (not even when it's fully alive).
@Shut: Well the light went off indead
@Mr. Klean: I also believe it's pretty much useless but I got wooden floors all over the house, always work at a wooden desk etc. so that's my anti-static wrenchband ;)

Seems the problem is solved. I wanted to RMA the harddrive anyways (because of 78+ bad sectors and still growing 3+ a day) and this is a good excuse to do so :)
Oh, and thanks for all of your help. I'll put a pic of my current setup up later ;)