PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question About Cell Phone Internet

YoHoJo
08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
So if there is 3g internet or whatever available for phones anywhere, why can't people just do some wacky hacky stuff and get free 3g on their laptops/wireless devices?

I'm guessing the signal is completely different than wifi and its super duper encrypted and stuff?

i luffs yeww
08-30-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/083010-open-source-voip-cell-phones-at-burning-man.html?hpg1=bn

Random info that I just read here (http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/08/30/2133247/Burning-Man-Goes-Open-Source-For-Cell-Phones)

(I know it's not what you're talking about but it's interesting imo. :))

cycrosism
08-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Different frequencies. 3G in my area is 2100mhz and wifi is 2400mhz IIRC.

Also, you can't get free 3G, you have to buy it (thats why they give you a USB modem or w/e so with a sim card in it). It uses the mobile number on the sim card to dial into the network (Just like adsl)

YoHoJo
08-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Ok get a 2100mhz wireless finder, and h4x some shit up, and get yourself some free 3g, why can't you?

3Garrett3
08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Ok get a 2100mhz wireless finder, and h4x some shit up, and get yourself some free 3g, why can't you?

Well you can tether, that's not really the same thing that you're asking about though.

I doubt it's this simple. Kinda the same as stealing satellite and such I'd imagine, they probably have lots of tracking going on with their traffic, etc.

i luffs yeww
08-31-2010, 01:00 AM
It's usually monitored by address, so you'd have to somehow add your address to their system and then you could probably do some hacking stuff. I know that with Comcast they can simply send a signal and it'll update the box to allow STARZ or HBO or anything. I assume it also sends something to Comcast but you could find out. :) And you can say that someone was outside your house messing with stuff (that's how my friend said that he didn't torrent anything).

cycrosism
08-31-2010, 05:57 AM

Different protocols. You can't get free 3g, as I explained in my last post it works similar to ADSL, it needs a number to dial in, which is why they include a sim card in the USB modems.

Phone works the same way, uses the sim card (AKA, your mobile number) to dial in

Capricorn
08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Sounds like to much hassle... now stealing wifi from your neighbors...

cycrosism
08-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Sounds like to much hassle... now stealing wifi from your neighbors...

is illegal unless you have permission from them (then it wouldn't be stealing)

Becks
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
They can, i use my iPhone to tether.

Capricorn
08-31-2010, 07:21 PM

Yeah, and stealing internet from cellular service providers is any better.

3Garrett3
08-31-2010, 07:51 PM

Misbehaviour. Showing a nasty attitude will raise your infraction in no time. Behave. Be Cool, be Gentle, be Clear. Help out others. Life is difficult enough.

So obviously since we don't give a shit that it's illegal, you can get outta the thread? SRL is against Jagex's rules, do we look like we care? You better get out, that's against the rules, I can't handle it. My head is exploding. O noes.

E: That's a quote from the official rules, so you know. You really need to read them. Two mess ups in less than two weeks.. tsk tsk.

cycrosism
08-31-2010, 09:53 PM
You better get out

no, u

I wonder whats worse, using a program to cheat on an online game for no profit or stealing wifi/3g

Rich
08-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Misbehaviour. Showing a nasty attitude will raise your infraction in no time. Behave. Be Cool, be Gentle, be Clear. Help out others. Life is difficult enough.

So obviously since we don't give a shit that it's illegal, you can get outta the thread? SRL is against Jagex's rules, do we look like we care? You better get out, that's against the rules, I can't handle it. My head is exploding. O noes.

E: That's a quote from the official rules, so you know. You really need to read them. Two mess ups in less than two weeks.. tsk tsk.

I need to spread some rep before I give more to you (even though yours is disabled) :(

no, u

I wonder whats worse, using a program to cheat on an online game for no profit or stealing wifi/3g

The worst comeback ever. Also, some people bot to rank up accounts, to sell -> money. Some people bot to earn RS GP to sell -> money. Your point isn't valid.

cycrosism
08-31-2010, 10:16 PM
I just dont give a fuck what garrett says so I just say no u to his posts without even reading them.

Oh and you're right, but macroing and selling accounts and money for real life money are different things.

Rich
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
I just say no u to his posts without even reading them.

Oh and you're right, but macroing and selling accounts and money for real life money are different things.

1) But then it could be considered as spam :eek:

2) Obviously it's somewhere in Jagex's T&Cs macroing is mentioned, otherwise all of this recent legal action wouldn't have taken place.

Runescapian321
08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Wow guys chill out. Capricorn made an irrelevant statement and cycrosism responded with an equally irrelevant statement. It doesn't seem as if there was any "misbehavior" until the last 4/5 posts...

SRL is not money based (regardless of whether you use it to sell accounts/GP on another forum or beyond public sight on this forum), so no, it is nowhere near as illegal as wifi leeching/3G hacking. The lawsuits against other bots were mostly based on the profits they were making, and I believe the things Jagex brought up unrelated to profits and more to bots in general were mostly struck down. There's a reason warez, NSFW, etc aren't allowed on these forums. As for this thread, it seems as if it's more of a random question brought on by curiosity, not malicious intent.

They can, i use my iPhone to tether.

I believe Yohojo is asking why people don't use your computer directly with mobile internet for free, not via a phone working as a modem (therefore not free).

Back ontopic.. It seems to me that cycrosism is correct. An activated sim card (for GSM, not sure what CDMA phones use to identify a phone) is probably needed to be able to authenticate access to a carrier's network.

MylesMadness
08-31-2010, 10:47 PM
1) But then it could be considered as spam :eek:

2) Obviously it's somewhere in Jagex's T&Cs macroing is mentioned, otherwise all of this recent legal action wouldn't have taken place.
This legal action seems to be more like sue the pants off them until they can't afford it anymore and settle out, they don't have much of case.

3Garrett3
09-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow guys chill out. Capricorn made an irrelevant statement and cycrosism responded with an equally irrelevant statement. It doesn't seem as if there was any "misbehavior" until the last 4/5 posts...

I was just backseat mod-posting the rules since cycro has been a modfag recently trying to keep people obeying the rules and shit.

I believe Yohojo is asking why people don't use your computer directly with mobile internet for free, not via a phone working as a modem (therefore not free).

Back ontopic.. It seems to me that cycrosism is correct. An activated sim card (for GSM, not sure what CDMA phones use to identify a phone) is probably needed to be able to authenticate access to a carrier's network.

There is usually hardware hacks around things though, you would think maybe they could come out with a hardware/software combo to get around it maybe? If it weren't illegal it would be on the market :P

Smartzkid
09-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Changing the frequency of the transceiver isn't viable. The amount of time that would go into tuning a wifi circuit to 2.4ghz, not to mention the software/firmware changes that would have to be made to the part's microcontroller/s (assuming they're not hardwired chips, which, chances are, they are) to make it work is just not worth it.

You'd be better off buying a 3G modem and mac spoofing/etc to get yourself online.