PDA

View Full Version : Anyone checked out the Firefox 4 beta yet?

EvilChicken!
09-11-2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/beta/

I personally wasn't aware of it until a friend of mine told me about it.
So, what do you think of it?

Personally, I like the new design layout, but I'm disappointed over the lack of (other?) new features, especially considering tte fact that this is a new major version. And, also a bit disappointed over how short the max-length of the feedback message you can submit, is.

Nevertheless, I have a new browser and I like it better than the previous one :p .. althout the fewest of the FF plugins available actually support 4.0..

What about you guys, what do you think?

Wizzup?
09-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Been using it for awhile... It's quite good.

Lack of other new features? Integrated Sync, Panorama view...

EvilChicken!
09-11-2010, 01:16 PM
And even FireBug-ish consoles/tools for webdevs. I even noticed them at first D:
I think my mind ignored them because they were really acting buggy for me..

Still, disregard my previous statement, sorry.

Wizzup?
09-11-2010, 01:19 PM
And even FireBug-ish consoles/tools for webdevs. I even noticed them at first D:
I think my mind ignored them because they were really acting buggy for me..

Still, disregard my previous statement, sorry.

Why sorry? :p

Sabzi
09-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I have tried it 2 - 3 weeks ago.
I like the new design and features, but I have switched back to the non beta because I like my add-ons :p.

Smartzkid
09-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Been using it since Beta 1!

To use all of your addons, try the Add-on Compatibility Reporter (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/)

Shuttleu
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
i have been using it since beta 2, i like the new UI and the only addon which i have a problem with is xmarks, it worked in beta 3 but not 4 :(

~shut

Dan Cardin
09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I had a mishap where when i restart the browser it lost all my tabs/app tabs/panorama groups. Made me sad. But that might have been my fault a little.

I personally very much like it except for the fact that they got rid of the add tab button that i could add to the toolbars...unless I'm missing something.

People who may be disappointed at JS speed might want to look at the Minefield nightly. They recently added the Jaegermonkey + Tracemonkey combination to it, and JS is much much faster! Now if they can get electrolysis working, everything will be prime! I would rather they just find some way to group tabs into one process while maintaining the kind of per tab stability that people say Chrome has. I only look forward to seperate processes between the UI and the tabs.

WhiteShadow
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I tried it a like a month ago and it was so laggy I reverted to Opera.

I had a lot of plugins though... >.>

Sex
09-12-2010, 05:00 AM
I didn't like that a bunch of the addons weren't compatible so I reverted.

Daniel
09-12-2010, 08:38 AM
It's very laggy, but I don't want to revert :p

Wizzup?
09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
It's not laggy at all for me...

Dan Cardin
09-12-2010, 12:28 PM
flash videos were laggy for me for a couple of starts, but that's gone now. Though i will admit it has seemed to lag really badly a few times. I just hope it wasn't the browser that was causing it.

Boreas
09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
How's the speed compared to chrome?

Dynamite
09-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Didn't work for me :/
I try to go to a website and it wouldn't load, just blank white screen.

EvilChicken!
09-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Didn't work for me :/
I try to go to a website and it wouldn't load, just blank white screen.

Happened to me as well.
I just restarted the computer and it worked.

Dan Cardin
09-12-2010, 08:23 PM
How's the speed compared to chrome?
the overall speed is probably a bit faster than firefox now at least for me. JS speed if you use the nightlies is much, much faster

Wizzup?
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Not to mention Firefox GPU accel is way ahead of Chrome. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368987,00.asp

Gold
09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Downloading it now, I've been switching between Mozilla and Google Chrome for a while, I love addons like Cooliris and Persona's but I always thought Chrome was cleaner and more fluent in its design.

Nonetheless, I'm going to try the new beta.

Dan Cardin
09-13-2010, 09:54 PM
One thing that I dislike is the layout of the firefox button. If you check out an addon like strata buddy, they have a really nice looking menu. http://s.techairlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Firefox-Strata.jpg While, at least on windows XP, the menu looks kind of bad, so i generally just press alt and use the normal menus.

x[Warrior]x3500
09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
i just dled this like yesterday and i am loving it right now. really like the newer, cleaner look. i just hope the addons i use will become compatible soon :(

Wizzup?
09-15-2010, 05:21 PM
http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/09/15/0231216/Mozilla-Unleashes-the-Kraken

He-he. ;)

Esteban
09-20-2010, 04:13 AM
I have noticed that FF4 is not compatible with certain flash elements.

Zyt3x
09-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Downloading it now, I've been switching between Mozilla and Google Chrome for a while, I love addons like Cooliris and Persona's but I always thought Chrome was cleaner and more fluent in its design.

Nonetheless, I'm going to try the new beta.Both Cooliris and Persona is aviable to Chrome

Dan Cardin
09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I would totally not use firefox just because of those two addons. I dislike them both. however i checked, and on my computer, on the nightlies, FF is faster than Chrome on all the JS speed tests. The only real thing im worried about is the firefox button remaining how it is

Smartzkid
09-21-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm running FFB6 and I still have the old stile menus. Loving it.

anonymity
09-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Right now I am running/typing on FF3.10. The beta is real nice tho.

You must have a good internet connection and a good processor & ram setup to do this. But if you are using a html 5 capable browser, check out http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/ . I think it is super neato. It really helps to close all other programs before going there tho. It is processor intensive.

ps: I couldn't stand ie9b... it was lamas.

grats
01-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Yea got it first day they released, won't be going back to 3.xx ever

KingKong
01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Is it that good?

Xanith
01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I just downloaded now. I only came back to this thread and noticed right away that the spacing between characters is kind of weird.. between the 'm' and the 'e' in came there is an extra big space. Does this annoy anyone else as much as it annoys me?

E: It seems like it is only happening on these forums.

anonymity
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I am not getting any funny space like that.

Although, I still can't stand the multiple start-bar icons for multiple tabs. IE did that, and I thought it sucked lemons. I really only want one icon down there per window.

E: Yes, I know you can make it go away.. but it still is an annoying default.

grats
01-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Is it that good?

Some tests I ran when it first came out.. along with other browsers & their MOST RECENT at the time, so beta's / alphas

http://i.imgur.com/CRpPx.jpg

amazingly opera's alpha did better than most others lol.

KingKong
01-22-2011, 02:31 AM
FF gets beaten in every single aspect except for mem usage which is ok i suppose. Is it better than the newest 3.x version?(P.S. by better i mean, faster)

grats
01-22-2011, 02:56 AM
FF gets beaten in every single aspect except for mem usage which is ok i suppose. Is it better than the newest 3.x version?(P.S. by better i mean, faster)

It has the fastest load times too?

it didn't get beat everywhere

it loads the fastest and it has the best memory usage, the two most important things in web browsing IMO

and it's much faster than 3.x

KingKong
01-22-2011, 04:37 AM
According to the pic you provided ff loads pretty slow, so im not sure why you say it loads the fastest. Anyways, if its faster than 3.x then I better get it.

Overtime
01-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Some tests I ran when it first came out.. along with other browsers & their MOST RECENT at the time, so beta's / alphas

http://i.imgur.com/CRpPx.jpg

amazingly opera's alpha did better than most others lol.

what do you trade on jsp?

grats
01-22-2011, 06:40 AM
According to the pic you provided ff loads pretty slow, so im not sure why you say it loads the fastest. Anyways, if its faster than 3.x then I better get it.

The graph is time..

the more time = the longer

you want it to be low.. which it is

what do you trade on jsp?

I'm the third highest poster on JSP, I know everyone on there more of a friends site than a trading for me, and for a lot of people

KingKong
01-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Huh? Im talking about the startup speed, not sure which one you're talking about.

grats
01-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Huh? Im talking about the startup speed, not sure which one you're talking about.

I'm talking about load speed...

loading web pages etc

on a 7200RPM HDD, if you're worrying about 1 extra second of cold
load time, you're doing it wrong

KingKong
01-22-2011, 07:07 AM
I just looked at their beta page and didn't like the new UI that FF has(looks too much like chrome yuck!), why can't they just keep it like is, I liked it the old way.

grats
01-22-2011, 07:13 AM
I just looked at their beta page and didn't like the new UI that FF has(looks too much like chrome yuck!), why can't they just keep it like is, I liked it the old way.

chrome copied opera, firefox copied either one ( we won't know)

but the new UI is great with windows 7, it's definitely not a good looking one on XP.

one thing I don't like is the multiple window things on the bottom bar (on windows) when you got multiple tabs up

TRiLeZ
01-22-2011, 09:33 AM
one thing I don't like is the multiple window things on the bottom bar (on windows) when you got multiple tabs up

Thankfully, that has been removed in Beta 9. :)

grats
01-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Thankfully, that has been removed in Beta 9. :)

Is there an option for it in 9? off / on

I messaged them and said please take it off.. in like version 7, i saw it once when it was off but I thought that was a glitch =/

edit:

a fresh install fixed it for me, thanks a bunch glad they took it off B)

Wizzup?
01-22-2011, 09:44 AM

You can restore the old UI if you want. It's trivial. :)

Sabzi
01-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm still using beta 7 and I never get more multiple window thing on the bottom bar. You just have to do it right. First it was like that for me too.
Also I have totally the same UI as the 3.x, as I liked it as it is.
But I often got speed issues though, which I never got with 3.x.

any_one
01-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Beta 9 I find much better in terms of startup speed, and general speed and stability. I think they introduced a new (faster) javascript engine in B8, B9 mainly helped startup times and responsiveness. Try it Sabzi :)

Sabzi
01-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Beta 9 I find much better in terms of startup speed, and general speed and stability. I think they introduced a new (faster) javascript engine in B8, B9 mainly helped startup times and responsiveness. Try it Sabzi :)

I'm always scared when it says some addons won't be compatible :redface:. I am a big fan of those, but meh, I will go and give it a try.
Thanks.

Smartzkid
01-23-2011, 01:34 AM
You can turn off the preview-for-every-tab inside about:config.

And like Wizzup said, restoring the old UI (real menubar, tabs under menubar) is not hard at all. The speed is well worth the upgrade.

I like that firefox can handle many tabs (100+) with ease, whereas chrome chokes and dies.

KingKong
01-23-2011, 01:40 AM
I currently have the 3.6.13 version of firefox, if i install the beta version of FF will the 3.x be overwriten?

grats
01-23-2011, 06:19 AM
I currently have the 3.6.13 version of firefox, if i install the beta version of FF will the 3.x be overwriten?

Currently no, it takes all of your cookies / favorites etc from your old firefox when it puts beta on, then it'll make its own folder

you can run 3.x and beta both on the same comp it'll sync your cookies from what I see

Dan Cardin
01-23-2011, 07:23 PM
beta10 makes me happy. They finally added tabs in the titlebar.

grats
01-23-2011, 07:35 PM
beta10 makes me happy. They finally added tabs in the titlebar.

I have b9 and it has them up there

xxx_trash
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
There's a new patch that cuts down the starting up time by 40%.

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/f7g6z/20line_patch_to_firefox_4_that_makes_startup_on/

Dan Cardin
01-24-2011, 02:03 AM
I have b9 and it has them up there

ah, well then i love beta9 but i love beta10 more, its a higher number than 9!

KingKong
01-24-2011, 03:33 AM
The previous betas get updated upon the release of a higher beta, so that people don't need to install lots of different versions.

cycrosism
01-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Using Beta 9 at the moment, runs pretty good on my netbook.

I was a bit annoyed how firefox took ages to start up (sometimes more then 30 seconds when my computer was running nothing) and FF 4.0 has got a good start up time.

Daniel
01-24-2011, 10:51 AM

Is it just me, or am I the only one that likes that? :/

grats
01-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Looks like the only one :P

when I asked them to remove it in the feedback I said put an option to take it off.. idk why they just didn't have a check box for it on/off

Wizzup?
01-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Don't know. I don't have it on Linux. :D

anonymity
01-24-2011, 08:43 PM
one thing I don't like is the multiple window things on the bottom bar (on windows) when you got multiple tabs upI find that super annoying too. But you can turn it off easily.

Tools\Options\Tabs - show tab previews in Windows taskbar.
check - shows whole bunch of icons for multiple tabs
uncheck - only shows icons/preview per window session

grats
01-30-2011, 05:38 AM
I find that super annoying too. But you can turn it off easily.

Tools\Options\Tabs - show tab previews in Windows taskbar.
check - shows whole bunch of icons for multiple tabs
uncheck - only shows icons/preview per window session

Yea disabled in version 10 of the beta, really glad they took it off.. everytime I went to click it like 20 windows would come up ~.~

P3rs0nal1ty
02-04-2011, 06:43 AM
I personally use Opera. is that bad? LOL.. used to be a die hard firefoxer.. but the first time u run it everytime u are just starting ur computer it takes about 15 secs to pop up from the time u click the icon. Opera doesnt have this. IE is garbage, and i havent tried google chrome. what's recommended? i know wizzup? you'll say firefox (;

KingKong
02-04-2011, 06:47 AM
The new firefox is considerably faster than the old one, and faster. So maybe give it a try?

Smartzkid
02-04-2011, 04:22 PM
It all depends on what you want from your browser. If you tend to keep lots of tabs open, firefox is probably your best bet. If you want fast startup times, Chrome is likely a better option. The best thing I can recommend is to try a different browser every week until you've found one that best suits your needs.

Dan Cardin
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
i like opera in terms of speed and layout and whatnot, but i dislike how it is like every other non-firefox browser in terms of customizability and extensibility

anonymity
02-07-2011, 10:48 PM
In my interwebular browser hierarchy;

Firefox > Chrome > Opera > Safari > SeaMonkey > KMeleon > Indie

KingKong
02-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Anyone tried lunascape? Its supposed to be Firefox, chrome and IE all in one.

Dan Cardin
02-08-2011, 03:24 AM
looks meh. Not cross platform, and It's only the rendering engines that switch, it seems. Which doesn't really give you firefox, nor Chrome. but it gives you IE, which you can get in both Chrome and firefox.

alexes
03-15-2012, 08:17 AM
:O seems I will have to try again firefox if it's faster with this new update :D

EDIT: Soz didn't notice of the date, not pretended to gravedig. Just been 1 year without using firefox so I thought it was the new version :/

[XoL]
03-17-2012, 02:13 AM
:O seems I will have to try again firefox if it's faster with this new update :D

This thread is over a year old, its not a beta anymore.
Please avoid the gravedigging :/