PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Mr. Doctor
09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
I am want to learning how to make games. If I wanted to make a game for Steam, or just standalone install, what language should I learn? I want to make small games like Indie games.

i luffs yeww
09-25-2010, 01:40 AM
You can pretty much use whatever you want.. Indie games are just games made by people who aren't part of a bigger company (indie = independent). Use whatever pleases you the most.

For an example, World of Goo:

The developers used many open-source technologies such as Simple DirectMedia Layer, Open Dynamics Engine for physics simulation, and TinyXML for configuration files. Subversion and Mantis Bug Tracker were used for work coordination. The proprietary PopCap Games Framework is used for font generation. The game was created by a very small team, with only three members at its peak.

Maybe you could find something here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development), too. Good luck.

Mr. Doctor
09-25-2010, 02:21 AM
I am going to use C++. I read it's the best for creating a game. I'll read tutorials and when I get a good idea, I will create it. Thanks i luffs yeww :)

Feroc1ty
09-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Learning C++ to develop an indie game is like learning every single mechanical part of a car rather than just buying one and driving it... You're better off getting some game engine and developing a game on it.

JuKKa
09-29-2010, 04:34 AM
learn flash! I had a class with flash after a few months i dont remember squat. But I know flash is fun and easy to make games with!

Mr. Doctor
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
What's the difference between flash and C++? I only see flash used when I watch stuff on Newgrounds. I want to make a game like Altitude, 3d-ish and some sort of side scrolling action shoot-em-up. Then after that, 3d games. Like Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, Oblivion etc.

Shuttleu
09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
What's the difference between flash and C++? I only see flash used when I watch stuff on Newgrounds. I want to make a game like Altitude, 3d-ish and some sort of side scrolling action shoot-em-up. Then after that, 3d games. Like Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, Oblivion etc.

a big difference

C++ is a programming language, its all code

with flash you have a environment, pretty picturs and you use a scripting language called Actionscript to make all the pretty pictures do stuff

~shut

Mr. Doctor
09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd rather use C++ then. I suck at drawing. Also, some Source Mods use C++.

MylesMadness
09-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Well, your going to have to make 3d models for c++ as well. c++ is more for 3d downloaded games, flash is more in browser games

Feroc1ty
09-29-2010, 11:49 PM
If you wish to create a 3D game in C++ you will need to learn how to code in C++, learn how to develop windows applications, learn functions by specific 3D rendering shits such as DirectX or OpenGL. After that you will need to create models ( 3D paintings ), animate those models, create textures ( 2D pictures which will map colors over your models ).

After you're all done with that ( will take a few years learning how to do all that crap BTW ) you will need to create your own game engine ( how you will render all that crap onto your windows application ), along with a basic game concept, which will turn more detailed as you develop your application and come up with ideas.

Good luck sir, hit me up when you're 25% done with the game and I'll give you some hints and clues of what you can do to improve!

Smartzkid
09-29-2010, 11:58 PM
XNA & C#

Much shallower learning curve.

Awkwardsaw
09-30-2010, 12:05 AM
If you wish to create a 3D game in C++ you will need to learn how to code in C++, learn how to develop windows applications, learn functions by specific 3D rendering shits such as DirectX or OpenGL. After that you will need to create models ( 3D paintings ), animate those models, create textures ( 2D pictures which will map colors over your models ).

After you're all done with that ( will take a few years learning how to do all that crap BTW ) you will need to create your own game engine ( how you will render all that crap onto your windows application ), along with a basic game concept, which will turn more detailed as you develop your application and come up with ideas.

Good luck sir, hit me up when you're 25% done with the game and I'll give you some hints and clues of what you can do to improve!

this is 100%, i have to say

but if you dont want to go with c++, i would use flash

also off topic, it seems like you've changed your ways since last time, Feroc1ty. nice :)

Mr. Doctor
09-30-2010, 01:23 AM
How are you guys learning C++? If there are any classes (I'm in 9th grade), when can I take them or where? Is there some sort of college for this? What programming language should I learn for now?

Feroc1ty
09-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Go to a library and read a book, most books will teach you basics of C++, but to actually be able to develop a game or an application with legit GUI you will also need to learn numerous libraries for whatever OS you decide to develop for.

Programing is similar no matter what language you choose, there's variables and functions, which you utilize to best of your abilities.

Cstrike
09-30-2010, 01:48 AM
If you're going for a long haul, you're going to want C++.
Another problem is you will probably need to create sprites or model them. At least in flash you have pre-defined stuff ;)
When you're making your own game-- it's you on your own unless you get a team. All the colors,sprites, walls..etc, all your ideas.

Mr. Doctor
09-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Ogre gave me this website with a shiton of information.

http://www.learncpp.com/

I think I'm going to start out with this and work my way up.