PDA

View Full Version : What does SRL want to major in?

Failpailirl
10-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Was wondering what SRL wants to major in college, or if you are already in college, what are you currently majoring in, also please tell us what grade you are in

I would like to be a graphic artist, and i am a sophomore (10th grade) in high school.

Nava2
10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Computer Engineering (read: Electrical oriented towards computer hardware) and Computer Science

WT-Fakawi
10-06-2010, 02:51 PM
MusicTechnologist, Composer, Sound Designer, Director and Studio Owner with a degree in composition, applied sound and musical software development.

my work: sound.condor.tv

Shuttleu
10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
MusicTechnologist, Composer, Sound Designer, Director and Studio Owner with a degree in composition, applied sound and musical software development.

a bit of a musical man then

~shut

Cstrike
10-06-2010, 04:15 PM

:O
You guys have Native Instruments Komplete? I've been trying to find where to buy that for a while. I really want Kontakt

Becks
10-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Finance and Economics

MylesMadness
10-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Computer Science

Edit: Freshman(9th grade)

Inspirations
10-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Political Science and History

moparisthebest
10-06-2010, 08:07 PM
I have a Bachelors degree (4 years) in Computer Science.

marpis
10-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Dunno what's lääketieteen lisensiaatti in english, but basically a doctor :) So, medschool is my goal.

kingarabian
10-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I have a Bachelors degree (4 years) in Computer Science.

When you take computer science, do you learn C++, C, Java, and javascript etc etc?
Also when you created your site did you have any knowledge with Java or any other language?

I want to major in Pharmacy, meteorology, and computer sciences. But im going to be taking 4 years of nurse 1st to be able to pay off my collage bills.

3Garrett3
10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Currently in first year of Bachelors of Engineering. I'll likely major in Chemical Engineering, but I don't have to decide until the end of this year(ish)

The Claw
10-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Nanotechnology :)

JuKKa
10-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Electrical automation, soon a licenced one

Inspirations
10-07-2010, 03:26 PM
When you take computer science, do you learn C++, C, Java, and javascript etc etc?
Also when you created your site did you have any knowledge with Java or any other language?

I want to major in Pharmacy, meteorology, and computer sciences. But im going to be taking 4 years of nurse 1st to be able to pay off my collage bills.

that makes for a lot of school...

Brain
10-07-2010, 05:58 PM
General engineering with civil option.
Basically a civil engineering degree with lots of good background in other engineering.
in senior year now.

traveler
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Computer Engineering (track toward computer science)

Feroc1ty
10-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Communication and psychology.

moparisthebest
10-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Most schools use a particular language to start you out with, mine used Java, but then you do use other ones throughout the course of schooling. Once you learn one language, most of the others come fairly easily.

When I created my site I had only taken a beginners class in Java, all the PHP, Javascript and such I had to work with I just learned as I went.

And you really need to focus on a single field, or at least similar fields. If you went to school for 15 years and got a degree in pharmacy, meteorology, computer science and nursing what would you do for a job? You would have to just pick one anyway. You probably have time to choose though, I was the same way when I was younger, I wanted to be a chemist, a physicist, a mechanical engineer, an auto mechanic etc etc. I took some engineering classes towards a mechanical engineering degree but eventually decided that I'd like computer science just as much and there are more jobs, and they are better paying then mechanical engineering, so I switched. That's why I took 5 years of college instead of 4. :)

HyperSecret
10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Computer Engineering/Software Engineer/Computer Science

Hugolord
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Most schools use a particular language to start you out with, mine used Java, but then you do use other ones throughout the course of schooling. Once you learn one language, most of the others come fairly easily.

When I created my site I had only taken a beginners class in Java, all the PHP, Javascript and such I had to work with I just learned as I went.

And you really need to focus on a single field, or at least similar fields. If you went to school for 15 years and got a degree in pharmacy, meteorology, computer science and nursing what would you do for a job? You would have to just pick one anyway. You probably have time to choose though, I was the same way when I was younger, I wanted to be a chemist, a physicist, a mechanical engineer, an auto mechanic etc etc. I took some engineering classes towards a mechanical engineering degree but eventually decided that I'd like computer science just as much and there are more jobs, and they are better paying then mechanical engineering, so I switched. That's why I took 5 years of college instead of 4. :)

So I take it you liked the course? I'm just wondering since I'll go to university next year to take a bachelor's in CS too..

Nava2
10-07-2010, 08:32 PM
So I take it you liked the course? I'm just wondering since I'll go to university next year to take a bachelor's in CS too..

If you can handle the work, go software eng. instead! :)

Immediate pay increase, a bit more pure math, but well worth the time invested. Not to mention you get an iron ring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Ring) :)

moparisthebest
10-08-2010, 04:10 AM

Yep, I liked it well enough I suppose. Also, as far as my college went software engineering and computer science is the same degree.

XcanadamanX
10-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Mechatronics Engineering :D

x[Warrior]x3500
10-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Business Administration / Economics

Nava2
10-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Yep, I liked it well enough I suppose. Also, as far as my college went software engineering and computer science is the same degree.

There is a lot of overlap here, but a software eng degree is more like an honours comp. sci. Also, software eng. has more hardware aspects to it than CS does.

Dan Cardin
10-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Nanotechnology :)
that interests me, but i think i plan on going for general engineering, then narrowing once i know where i want to go.

Hugolord
10-08-2010, 08:38 PM
There is a lot of overlap here, but a software eng degree is more like an honours comp. sci. Also, software eng. has more hardware aspects to it than CS does.

Are you sure? I thought it was more the other way around. CS being more theoretical and SE more practical...

Nava2
10-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Are you sure? I thought it was more the other way around. CS being more theoretical and SE more practical...

You are still correct, but software eng gets more practical hardware experience in comparison.

Feroc1ty
10-09-2010, 05:22 AM
You are still correct, but software eng gets more practical hardware experience in comparison.

basically one learns how to completely waste computer memory while the other learns how to conserve it, am i rite?

Smartzkid
10-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Going for engineering associates right now; will transfer into chem, electrical, or comp sci. Haven't decided yet.

Wanted
10-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Mechanical Engineering

Nava2
10-09-2010, 02:39 PM
basically one learns how to completely waste computer memory while the other learns how to conserve it, am i rite?

Haha. Hopefully not. Eng has a lot more maths, but very similar nevertheless. Some of the courses are the exact same and it's silly that there STD two versions.

Simtoon
10-09-2010, 05:35 PM
aww, im a year away from University.. I plan on doing computer science but i need to up my marks by a lot be able to get into the course :(

Daniel
10-10-2010, 09:40 AM
/me wants to study astrophysics :)

lordsaturn
10-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Something like what fakawi is doing sounds nice..

Putnam
10-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I would like to major in Computer Science or Business. Maybe I could be a CIO!

Bad Boy JH
10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
My current plans are to do Information Technology (bachelor) or Computer Science (Bachelor), either or.
Mainly cause of...you guys, this is always fun, I am always learning, and its really got me into the programming side of computers, something I never thought I would (yes I consider this programming). at some point I will learn C or Java, or finish learning python.
This will hopefully start in the next few years, I am finishing High-School this year, and will look for a job to pay my uni fees up-front (discount *cheers* I love Australia).

Red Fuel Tank
10-29-2010, 11:34 PM
bio

EDIT: logy