PDA

View Full Version : So i wrote a note... lol

TomTuff
10-26-2010, 04:26 AM
First off, this is most likely the wrong forum :redface:
Anyways, today I wrote a note today on my Algebra II homework After number 11 (out of 15). It said this

2 hours into this assignment, I've decided the amount of time is no longer worth 5 points; This is why I don't do the homework for your class.

I havent done the hw in this class in a few weeks, and I'm still holding a B, but i decided to "do" it tonight, since it's a chapter reveiw and we have a test tomorrow. But this reminded me why i haven't done the class's hw in a few weeks.
Where do you think this will get me?

i luffs yeww
10-26-2010, 04:28 AM
In a dumpster with meth and AIDS.

SCHOOL IS LIFE, MANG.

:3

TomTuff
10-26-2010, 04:38 AM
i think if that were the ultimatum of not doing hw, i'd shoot myself.

anonymity
10-26-2010, 05:15 AM
* Obviously not college class... I have spent 8 hours on a two page (front and back) 3 total problems assignment. Where will it get you? Well, you certainly know how to relax a little and understand a little about the time point dilemma (aka you have to sometimes choose to do one thing and not another, because in the long run it works out better). Who really knows but yourself. Don't let it lead you to taking the easy road out all the time or just being lazy. =] Certainly best of luck to ya.

TomTuff
10-26-2010, 05:25 AM
I have spent 8 hours on a two page (front and back) 3 total problems assignment

@_@ what class was it for, so i can avoid that one?

Nava2
10-26-2010, 12:07 PM
@_@ what class was it for, so i can avoid that one?

any decent college's math programs..

@anonimity.. did you do the hmwk before the assignment? :P

Cstrike
10-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Doing it will train you for post secondary, as some days they give you super hard assignments worth 30% of your mark that take even more time than the stuff you are currently doing ;)

As long as you say in the B - A+ range you're good... and I agree that if it is not worth the time or effort, skip some things. I was able to do that efficiently and succeed well in high school by being selective w/ my time.
I even do that in university too, when I understand a section, I tackle the hardest problems first. If I end up screwing up, I know that I've definitely not covered what I am supposed to have. Though don't do this unless you truly know what you're doing, because it's easy to think "I know this" and shoot yourself in the foot for tests later on. That did happen to me a few times in high school, but eventually you'll be able to pick out key things.

Wizzup?
10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
any decent college's math programs..

@anonimity.. did you do the hmwk before the assignment? :P

You guys are just slow. ;)

Brain
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
it's taken me about 10 hours to do some structural steel analysis and design homework before. an 8 problem homework....
aslo, he gave us a take home test, that was another 6 hours.

anonymity
10-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Did I do the hw before the assignment?? - not sure what that means but I turned it in on time...

I dunno Wizzup¿ after it was all due and turned in, it took the professor 50 minutes and 3.5 boards to solve one of the three problems. And that was not the 'harder' one.

Stupid adv calc classes.

Cstrike
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Did I do the hw before the assignment?? - not sure what that means but I turned it in on time...

I dunno Wizzup¿ after it was all due and turned in, it took the professor 50 minutes and 3.5 boards to solve one of the three problems. And that was not the 'harder' one.

Stupid adv calc classes.

I remember one time I handed in one page of work and the professor did the exact same thing, at which point my heart sank to my stomach when I realized I couldn't have possibly done all the stuff that was on the board :(

Heavenguard
10-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Doing homework is a really important task that you benefit from, regardless of the class. Mainly, its because it teaches the person a good work ethic (and gives them much more knowledge then other people) and I just happened to find this out. I never had a challenging class here in Jersey City, until I was one of the first few to actually sign up for AP Physics when it became available to our school. The class itself is challenging to me(I'm not that bright >.>), so many concepts and things going by so fast, its just impossible for me to remember everything that my teach goes over in that hour and a half. So most of my learning is at home, I start my homework around 4 - 5Pm and usually stop at 10 Pm, its just studying for that 1 class and doing homework.

Sorry, I tracked off on there, but where I'm coming from is that doing homework makes you into a much better person. It makes you a hard-worker, which is ultimately what most people should strive to be. With hard-work comes success, I wouldn't know the full meaning of it yet, but for scripting that has actually been true. Anyways, H.W = a task for you to do home, you have an option of doing it, and you have an option of not doing it, its up to you. However the choices you do make have an outcome on you and reflect how you manage yourself, so always try to do the wise thing.

Oh, b4 i stop my post xD...

I havent done the hw in this class in a few weeks, and I'm still holding a B, but i decided to "do" it tonight, since it's a chapter reveiw and we have a test tomorrow. But this reminded me why i haven't done the class's hw in a few weeks.
Where do you think this will get me?

Im glad you decided to do the review for that test, and I hope your successful with it. I personally was the same way with Algebra 1 & 2, I didn't care about it, I was never good in math. I actually wish now that I took that class a lot more seriously.. If I had just went home and practiced those equations and rules and methods, then the concepts I learn in other subjects would be so much easier for me to do algebraically, it would really help the way I thought of things. Please bro take it from me, just work hard in that class for now, you won't regret it in the future, i promise you that.

P.S. You'll be needing math a lot in your future class', and having that basic algebra in your head that you learn from I and II, things become emotionally easier for you. If its one subject that I wish I took seriously, its math. Its just so beneficial.

TomTuff
10-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Doing homework is a really important task that you benefit from, regardless of the class. Mainly, its because it teaches the person a good work ethic. I just happened to find this out, but I never had a challenging class here in Jersey City, until I was one of the first few to actually sign up for AP Physics when it became available to our school. The class itself is challenging to me(I'm not that bright >.>), so many concepts and things going by so fast, its just impossible for me to remember everything that my teach goes over in that hour and a half. So most of my learning is at home, everyday from 4 - 5Pm and usually stop at 10 Pm, its just studying for that 1 class and doing homework.

Sorry, I tracked off on there, but where I'm coming from is that doing homework makes you into a much better person. It makes you a hard-worker, which is ultimately what most people should strive to be. With hard-work comes success, I wouldn't know the full meaning of it yet, but for scripting that has actually been true. Anyways, H.W = a task for you to do home, you have an option of doing it, and you have an option of not doing it, its up to you. However the choices you do make have an outcome on you and reflect how you manage yourself, so always try to do the wise thing.

Oh, b4 i stop my post xD...

Im glad you decided to do the review for that test, and I hope your successful with it. I personally was the same way with Algebra 2, I didn't care about it, I was never good in math. I actually wish now that I took that class a lot more seriously.. If I had just went home and practiced those equations and rules and methods, then the concepts I learn in other subjects would be so much easier for me to do algebraically, it would really help the way I thought of things. Please bro take it from me, just work hard in that class for now, you won't regret it in the future, i promise you that.

P.S. You'll be needing math a lot in your future class', and having that basic algebra in your head that you learn from I and II, things become emotionally easier for you. If its one subject that I wish I took seriously, its math. Its just so beneficial.

that was a long post :O

I see what you mean in the way that in the end HW is key to success, not just in a class but in life... but this is really the only class i'm doing this in, and i've aced the 4 tests we've had (we've also had quizzes and stuff too)... so i'd say i'm holding up pretty well, I was more curious what you guys thought about how my teacher would respond to the note i wrote :p

Cstrike
10-27-2010, 03:35 AM
that was a long post :O

I see what you mean in the way that in the end HW is key to success, not just in a class but in life... but this is really the only class i'm doing this in, and i've aced the 4 tests we've had (we've also had quizzes and stuff too)... so i'd say i'm holding up pretty well, I was more curious what you guys thought about how my teacher would respond to the note i wrote :p

Well you told him the truth ;)
He might even think about handing out excess homework if he's giving out too much.

Heavenguard
10-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Oh my bad :P, well yeah I guess excess homework. I would expect he'd just be like "w/e..." and put it with the rest of the papers. I guess =? it all depends on the personality of your teacher, hopefully its not one of those arrogant bi-polar ones that I have for my art class >.>

Capricorn
10-27-2010, 03:46 AM
Could have saved yourself an extra 30 seconds by not writing an explanation.

TomTuff
10-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Could have saved yourself an extra 30 seconds by not writing an explanation.

that was the best 30 seconds of the homework assignment though x]

and she's a post-menopausal, Christian tyrant :| FUN :D

Cstrike
10-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Oh my bad :P, well yeah I guess excess homework. I would expect he'd just be like "w/e..." and put it with the rest of the papers. I guess =? it all depends on the personality of your teacher, hopefully its not one of those arrogant bi-polar ones that I have for my art class >.>

I have not met any art teacher that isn't bi-polar or seems like one :redface:

Capricorn
10-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I have not met any art teacher that isn't bi-polar or seems like one :redface:

All my art teachers were awesome. Except when the retards didn't clean the paint brushes properly, then he flipped.

Sandstorm
10-28-2010, 12:38 AM
All my art teachers were awesome. Except when the retards didn't clean the paint brushes properly, then he flipped.

666 posts!

My only art teacher (who was also my music teacher) was a bitch. My trumpet was broken and she refused to believe me, even after she tried it... and concluded it was broken. I got a D+ because of that. And in art she almost failed me because I wasn't holding my pencil properly. :l

Feroc1ty
10-28-2010, 05:00 AM
I think the american education system is very dumb and needs a complete re-haul, the education system in europe is far less structured and actually lets kids advance theirs studies if they're capable of doing so, and makes the less bright students keep at the same paste as the rest of the class.

In america what I've noticed is that in most classes homework is from 20% to 50% of the grade class, where it should theoretically be 0%. The reason for this is that I believe no student should be forced to work on something he already knows, or be rewarded for learning something that he should have known from the class work; the knowledge and the class grade should rather be reflected on the students tests which really display his knowledge in the subject, rather than the dedication and no-lifeness of the person.

Capricorn
10-28-2010, 05:09 AM
I think the american education system is very dumb and needs a complete re-haul, the education system in europe is far less structured and actually lets kids advance theirs studies if they're capable of doing so, and makes the less bright students keep at the same paste as the rest of the class.

In america what I've noticed is that in most classes homework is from 20% to 50% of the grade class, where it should theoretically be 0%. The reason for this is that I believe no student should be forced to work on something he already knows, or be rewarded for learning something that he should have known from the class work; the knowledge and the class grade should rather be reflected on the students tests which really display his knowledge in the subject, rather than the dedication and no-lifeness of the person.

Its a pretty big subject. From your brief description I would say the European? system sounds better, but as a whole all modern education systems are flawed quite a bit. The problem is we have invested to much money into the current systems to abandon them. That is what always holds us back.

TomTuff
10-28-2010, 05:26 AM

That's one of your first posts i haven't wished i could de-rep!

Anyways, I must agree; especially with the advent of the internet, I could learn AND understand everything I learn in a normal school day on the internet with a few quick searches. Tbh, it's not like the internet is never gonna be around - and if it isn't, then neither is society. With simply a list of all the concepts/ideas i need to know, a computer, and a notebook and maybe some example problems (all on a a website, of course!), I could learn what i need to on the internet.

I did a whole speech about how the internet should/could/will/has changed education for decathlon freshman year :p

anonymity
10-28-2010, 06:04 AM
I agree. With the current structure of the American Educational system, one would almost be better off doing it all on their own time and just playing the late fees at a library. I agree with the European being better. I like it more and think it is better fit.

Boreas
10-28-2010, 06:59 AM
http://www.schoolsucksproject.com/

Daedolon
12-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Kid tries to ban homework (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFp9Ll11vSg)

So I found this a few days ago. It was interesting to see his view points, however in the end I have to disagree with his argument. I feel he is missing the bigger picture, which is he is given the opportunity to learn. Part of learning is practicing what you have just attained; I believe there's a word for it already, begging with an "H".

Zota
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
.. The only thing I am willing to agree on in relation to education... is the fundamentals. Foundation maths, english, science etc. After that I fucking hate it all. I finished A levels (for you Americans that's college I think - after Highschool basically) a year ago and am now heading to China in January.

Too many people in this life spending their entire lives aiming towards grades and degrees and stats. With those they can get amazing jobs and live life! wait.... no. So many people spend their childhood and teenage years and even way into their 30s, concentrating on materialistic needs and wants.

Think about how many hours in your life you would have spent working for money to be 'happy'. A lot of hours, no? ;p

Basically, dont take it all too seriously. If you get to a point where you're getting stressed out everyday and even depressed. It's time to look at the bigger picture.

Luke-