PDA

View Full Version : Are Staff exempt from rules?

Rich
12-05-2010, 10:30 PM
http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=754192&highlight=post754192

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=728931&highlight=post728931

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=755243&highlight=post755243

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=739331&highlight=post739331

Few fine examples there, and I'm sure I could find more if I tried. The thing which gets me is that if I put a single swear word in one of my posts aimed at someone (just like the top example, may I add) I've got 3 people hating on me and a warning. When the staff do it, it's fine? It also seems fine for staff to spam as well.

EvilChicken!
12-05-2010, 10:56 PM
.. you really don't get it, do you?

None of the post you've linked to contain foul language that actually is aimed towards somebody. (Furthermore, RM's posts is one of the funniest posts which I've read at this forum for a very long time.) You both cursed and offended a member, whilst your linked posts contained none of that.

It's all about context.

Wanted
12-05-2010, 11:01 PM
n3ss3s is not staff.

It would help your case if you linked to posts of your own that you are contrasting to as well so we can compare them more easily.

Frement
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
If you can't handle it, theres nothing I can do for you.

blulightning
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Just a point of advice to everyone who ends up getting involved in this thread:

Being unnecessarily rude to a person, or sarcastic, or just condescending in general will make things worse.
I just have a feeling that this is going to end up being so much worse than it has to be

Wizzup?
12-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Occasional usage of the word "shit" isn't exactly bad, especially when (in RM's case) it is actually referring to the "shitting". Someone who says "fuck this shit up" or "fucking shit script" will get a correction / warning / worse. Most examples I see are not using the words to insult some(one|thing). Markus case is slightly different, but not really dissing anyone; but it is a case where I'd say a small correction is due.

n3ss3s is not staff.

Feroc1ty
12-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Warnings aren't that bad, I've had many and they all go away in time, it's the timebans that are lame.

kingarabian
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Were all mainly teenagers here so its natural for us to swear @ certain times ;).

Sir R. M8gic1an
12-05-2010, 11:24 PM
http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=754192&highlight=post754192

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=728931&highlight=post728931

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=755243&highlight=post755243

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=739331&highlight=post739331

Few fine examples there, and I'm sure I could find more if I tried. The thing which gets me is that if I put a single swear word in one of my posts aimed at someone (just like the top example, may I add) I've got 3 people hating on me and a warning. When the staff do it, it's fine? It also seems fine for staff to spam as well.

More than a question of a single word, it is a question on attitude.
I trashed ferocity because ferocity needed a trashing.

However, you do not see me trashing people daily.
Nor, in fact, do you see staff 'misbehaving' generally.

*pause* I went to take a shit - I had to use the bathroom and I ... took a shit. My apologies if that offends anyone, if you'd rather I'll edit that to say poopoo.

version 2:
I went to drown a fucking nigger in my bathroom and I watched that mother fucker drown into the deep waters of sewage.

version 3:
I took a poopoo.

What definitely can not be done:
You are a piece of shit for starting this thread. This thread could fill garbage bags and yet overflow. None of this could be buried somewhere, because it would most likely bring radiation to underground waters.

This post is exempt from rules due to exemplifying attitudes. It is for the common benefit of exemplifying what is, isn't and might be acceptable.

Oh, and no, we are not exempt from rules.
We bitch at each other in the staff forums when we find the other person was too out of line ;)
Hope that answers your question :p

~RM

Mr.Klean
12-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Not a single one of those posts made me cringe a little, except for RM's app reply. Was a little harsh but it was deserved. You've gotta see the direct swearing and indirect swearing usage. Using it towards someone or using it as a noun. Etc etc.

I.e. I don't see this poster offending to anyone. Yet it is full of inappropriate language and I even have it hanging on my wall right now.
http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/15/1573/C2LDD00Z.jpg

Sabzi
12-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I think(I can't remember, go look for yourself if interested) that I have used some of those "bad" words where the situation was like that. Never got any warning or thing like that. Also I don't think I have offended anyone. Maybe. :p

Just thought I would write an example how non-staff gets no warning if it's not serious. You know, you can't make a straight line between warning-able swear words and ones that you can tolerate. If you can't see the difference wait a few year and be more mature.

Harry
12-06-2010, 12:52 AM
At the topic, yes.

But, I think people should say whatever they want as long as they are not intentionally trying to harm or offend people -- as long as it's done in moderation. Words are words, if you get offended by one labeled as "bad", even when it's not said in an offensive context, you should just learn to ignore it. *Shrug*

Narcle
12-06-2010, 01:04 AM
There's bashing, there's swearing then there is just out right ridiculous swearing. I've seen maybe people swear on here and unless they were bashing something/one I saw no problem with it. However if you see a post where there's 10+ 'fucks' and 'shits' in it they are obviously conveying something and it really isn't necessary.

3Garrett3
12-06-2010, 02:01 AM
R1ch maybe you should post the example of where you got a warning, because I don't see anything wrong with any of the posts you were talking about.

If yours was similar, yeah the staff poopoo'd up but if it was directed at someone in a meany kinda way then shame on you!

The Claw
12-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Well the staff arent going to ban themselves, lol

Zyt3x
12-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Well the staff arent going to ban themselves, lolOh, wow xD
Now that would be sh*t :rolleyes:

TomTuff
12-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Well the staff arent going to ban themselves, lol

there's always demotion, though.

Speaking of which, what happened to boreas?

i luffs yeww
12-06-2010, 07:18 AM
I've been trying to figure that out for awhile.. >_>

And Zeph was demoted for breaking the rules. Starblaster was b&/demoted.

Zyt3x
12-06-2010, 07:33 AM
there's always demotion, though.

Speaking of which, what happened to boreas?He didn't do much administration, so he / someone else demoted him... I think he wanted it himself (?)

Rich
12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
The fact is, I know I was in the wrong, and I'll happily admit that. What I said was OTT, and I deserved what I got. I'm not talking about myself in this thread, I'm talking about the staff.

BraK
12-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Sounds like the users on my network. They get upset when we crack down with restrictions that apply to them and not us and yet they are the ones getting all the viruses/security risk while our computers remain secure. Disgruntled users complain that we are doing the same thing. Are we? we obviously do things with more restraint and safety if we do not have the same issues.

Well there my analogy. I hope everyone is able to see how this is implied.

~BraK

P1nky
12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Rich, brotha look seriously i got couple of these warnings too, i had the same exact emotions , full of anger and such , but look dude it's not really hard to not curse or be negative , especially while typing. Like just let it be, learn from the mistake and move on <3 and lets make SRL a better place where we have no drama and unite like we use to <3

Peace is Love , Love is SRL <3 ;)

Cheerz <3

Markus
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
We had/have this discussion like a bazillion times in the mod section and we never seem to agree. Nor can we ban ourselves (I'm trying now xD) (inb4banned).
We enforce this rule more like we seem it fit, and some staff members also enforce it more heavily than others. Of course swearing towards other people is always out of bounds and not tolerated at all (unless meant in a really obvious joking manor, but that's hard to determine at times).

Edit: hmm I can't ban myself. Nor can mods infract each other.

Sabzi
12-07-2010, 10:24 PM
edit: Hmm i can't ban myself. Nor can mods infract each other.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX! :p
(I'm referring to Dr. Hax)

Sir R. M8gic1an
12-08-2010, 12:30 AM
I think Markus pointed out the key point... we all interpret the rules to our 'common ground' and our own view on it... and usually we just accept & respect each other's decision, except for a few cases where infractions have been reversed.

So yeah, sometimes you might be unlucky that one of us is in a bad mood and see something that annoys us and we throw you a warning... no big deal.
And infractions expire so... If every now and then you happen to say a bad word, and you happen to get infracted for it because you were unlucky to catch Hobbit on a vocabulary rage, it's no big deal. It expires anyway ;)

~RM