PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Sex
12-14-2010, 03:18 AM
I got a new laptop today, $520.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
4096MB RAM DDR3

Edit:
500 GB Hard Drive 7200rpm

Integrated graphics; Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD with 1696MB shared memory.

It is my first laptop, 14inch screen. Is it good?

blulightning
12-14-2010, 03:50 AM
Decent RAM, although I prefer a tad more :)
HP laptops heat up VERY quickly to make sure to give the fans plenty of room to do their thing

xSaintias
12-14-2010, 03:51 AM
looks about the same as mine, and mine works great! The only thing i would reccommend (if you want an even better computer) is to upgrade your RAM.

Sex
12-14-2010, 03:54 AM
I will I am looking to upgrade to 6GB, however I am new to laptops and don't know really how to go about doing this..

Nava2
12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
You do NOT need more RAM.

Don't waste your money.

Thats a decent laptop for the price though! Good buy, enjoy it. If you wanted to update anything, I would suggest a GPU, but you cannot as its a laptop. Its not a desktop, its not going to play massive games. You need to get over that!

Its a laptop, its for convenience ;)

Frement
12-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Don't waste your money.

Thats a decent laptop for the price though! Good buy, enjoy it. If you wanted to update anything, I would suggest a GPU, but you cannot as its a laptop. Its not a desktop, its not going to play massive games. You need to get over that!

Really? No more RAM? My 6GB is almost all the time used. I need to close programs all the time, and I hate to do that. Thought I do use a lot of programs, for normal users, the RAM should be fine.

Sex
12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
So, you can't install GPUs into laptops? Ah, I did not know that. I thought you could.

Capricorn
12-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I would go into the BIOS and take away some of the RAM you are using for your integrated.

Wizzup?
12-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Don't waste your money.

My laptop has an OK GPU, and I bought it two years ago... :)

Really? No more RAM? My 6GB is almost all the time used. I need to close programs all the time, and I hate to do that. Thought I do use a lot of programs, for normal users, the RAM should be fine.

I have 2GB RAM and never really go over the 1.5GB... Perhaps programs using a lot of RAM is a Windows thing. ;)

Frement
12-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I have 2GB RAM and never really go over the 1.5GB... Perhaps programs using a lot of RAM is a Windows thing. ;)

Or there just aren't that many bad linux programmers? :)

Zyt3x
12-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I never use any more than 70% of my memory, and I have 4GB.
It might go up to 80% if I'm running multiple games, but I usually don't do that.

Nava2
12-14-2010, 04:42 PM

I have 4gb and rarely make it to 3gb right now. I also use Kubuntu, so that might be the difference there.

So, you can't install GPUs into laptops? Ah, I did not know that. I thought you could.

Generally, you can't change anything with laptops. If your laptop has a GPU installed then you can typically change it (if its the same size) but otherwise, you are stuck with what you have.

My laptop has an OK GPU, and I bought it two years ago... :)
Same here, but that was because both you and I looked for that! Some are OK but most laptops now come with integrated.. which is kinda awful from a performance stand point. :)