PDA

View Full Version : Final's Guide to Making and Using F2P Pures!

final_result
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
FINAL'S GUIDE TO F2P PURE CREATION AND PVP

EDIT: Pictures are coming soon!

Credits:

SRL for making great scripts and having an awesome community so that I've trained up my pures so quickly and had a lot of fun in the process :)

Me for not being lazy for once and actually making this.

Hi, Jagex has *promised* free trade and *real drops* pking, and I've seen a lot of people on SRL forums asking questions pertaining to ideal pker stats, so I thought I would try to write a concise and informative guide on how to create and use a F2P pker! If I get requests, I may make a P2P guide to pking as well.

WHY MAKE A PURE?
As most of us have noticed, the Bounty Worlds and the PVP Worlds are full of pures. Most people make pures because *generally* they trade durability for the ability to quickly score kills and do very high damage for their given level. This being said, in the hands of a skilled player, a pure can score much more kill than a regular account. Also, as a pure, one trains stats objectively towards a certain goal - in this way they ensure they will have the best stats for a given level, where as mains and first accounts will have stats that are not ideal for the given level. Finally, pures lose very little on death, especially range2h pures (more on that later). A range2h pure will risk about 70k in pking, while a player in full rune risks upwards of 200k. This proves another advantage for pures as they can die more often than regular players while still making money off of the venture.

WHAT TYPES OF PURES CAN I MAKE?

The different selection of pure builds you can make are quite limited in PVP, however, keep in mind that these are only the most popular ones. Of course, you are free to experiment with whatever build you may like, but chances are they will not be as effective as these tried and true builds:

STRENGTH PURE:

Strength pures are typically most common at the lower levels (40-65), and obtain 40 attack (or 45 for gravite weaponry, discussing later) to wield rune equipment, namely the rune scimitar for their main source of damage and rune 2h for KOS.

STATS:
40 Attack
x Strength (as high as possible)
1 Defence
1 or 31 or 41 PRAY (31 Pray for Ultimate Strength, 43 for Protect from Meele)

PROS: Have the highest hits in a given combat level.
CONS: Low versatility. The 40 attack, while allowing a very high strength level, limits accuracy and severely limits the power of this pure against 20 Defence or 40+ defence pures.
EFFECTIVENESS RATING: 4/10

RANGE 2H PURE:
RANGE 2h PURES are most commonly found anywhere from level 40-80. They are, by far and large, the most popular type of pure and they rely on range (namely maple shorbow with adamant arrows) as the main source of their damage and use rune 2h to KO.

STATS:
40 ATTACK
x Strength (as high as possible for maximum Rune 2h Hits)
1 Defence
X Range (as high as possible once again)
1 or 44 PRAY (44 Prayer for all the Protection Prayers as well as the EAGLE EYE prayer, 15% bonus to range attack damage.)

PROS: Have the most sustained damage of their level, and are extremely devasting to characters with defence as the high range cuts through defence easily, and their 2h KO finishers are very effective against all characters. They risk the lowest amount of money as they typically only need to bring green dhide legs and hands, a maple shortbow, a couple of adamant arrows and rune 2h (which can be item protected if you're being really cheap, you can do this as still get drops when the wilderness returns :) ) and yet be very effective. This also means they travel light, as well as their ranged attacks, this means that running away from them from deep wilderness is nigh-impossible.
CONS: While few, like all pures they suffer from their low defence which makes them excel in the first place - it means that other strength pures or range 2hers who get lucky hits can easily kill them, and they consume a lot of food. They are also unforutantly devilishly hard to train when autofighting as you have to train two areas of combat on a one defense character :(
EFFECTIVENESS RATING: 7.5/10

INITIATE/20 DEFENSE PURES:

20 Defense pures are commonly called initiate pures, they are most effective in members worlds because the 20 defence allows access to great members gear ( Adamant Recipe for Diaster Gloves, Mithril Boots, Corrupt Vesta, and the Initiate Gear). However, their effectivness is hardly compromised in F2P PKING because of this. They have the same stats as Range 2H pkers and Strength Pures, except with 20 Defense of course.
STATS:
40 Attack
1 Defence
X Range (as high as possible)
1 or 31 or 44 PRAY (Prayer for all the Protection Prayers as well as the EAGLE EYE prayer, 15% bonus to range attack damage.)

PROS: MUCH EASIER to train while botting. 20 Defense allows your pure to do a lot of quests that gain defense, such as the Blood Pact Quest which opens up one of the best training spots for pures (ironic, I know, a training spot for pures that gives 2 defense) as well as survivability allowing you to train for 3 hours without banking where a pure would have to bank in 30 minutes. This durability is also reflected in PVP, it renders Strength pures nearly useless as they will miss about half of the time on mithril armor, and from all players, KOS with the rune 2h are less successful. Expect this armor to save your life a couple or times! Also, mithril armor is the lighest of all armors, if I remeber correctly the corresponding green dhide will actually weigh more than the respective mithril equipment. I personally have three of these pures and I highly reccomend trying to make one of these, they are a hybrid of the high damage of the 1 Defence pures and the durability of the rune pures.
CONS: You will hit less than other pures of your combat level, 20 defense will gain you about four combat levels, which is not that much but nevertheless, it is significant in some ways. Additionally, 20 Defense is easily ripped to shreds by ranged attacks, as F2P Ranged is the most accurate attack there is and your mithril armor isn't going to do much for you there.
EFFECTIVENESS RATING: 8/10

RUNE PURE:
Most common from level 55-90. 40 Defense pures, termed rune pures because they wear rune armor, in members they usually obtain 45 or 50 defence to wear the Fremmenik Helms which provide excellent offensive boosts. Some players don't consider these "pures" as all because of their relatively high defense levels. They are the most durable builds to still be effective, utilizing range as the main source of damage and a rune 2h as the finishing attack. Wear either a set of Rune full helmet, rune chainbody, green dhide legs and vambraces or a set of Rune full helmet green dhide chest and rune platelegs coupled with maple shortbow and rune 2h.
STATS:
40 Attack
40 or 45 Defence
1 or Prayer for all the Protection Prayers as well as the EAGLE EYE prayer, 15% bonus to range attack damage.)
PROS: Strength pures are rendered completely useless against your rune armor. They will cry and refuse to fight you, calling you a defence noob. You will win 70% of death matches you fight (fights to the death) and training them is EXTREMELY easy. The 40 defense and a set of rune is enough protection from almost any monster under level 40 and a full inventory of food will guarantee an all night botting session without having to bank against most reasonable monsters (not that I would reccomend doing this unless you are seeking the magical banhammer). The defence will save you a lot, if you get caught in multiway or pjed (either attacked in conjunction by two people or attacked shortly after killing someone) you have a high chance of survival.
CONS: You will hit much lower than the aforementioned pures. Also, at about level 80 and beyond, range pures will have about 99 range which means that your 40 defence isn't going to be very effective and you will be eating a lot still. Also, you will find it hard to find fights. Most strength pures will refuse to fight you, and pures will pester you, showering insults about how you are a "def noob" and how theu "f*****ed your mother" and begging you to take off your armor. Additonally, you risk far more than the other builds here, risking about 120k each time.
EFFECTIVENESS: 7.5/10

FULL RUNE:
Just terrible. Like a strength pure, but with 40 defence. They are however, very powerful in members as zerker pures with whips, dragon scims, and godswords, so don't let me discourage you by telling you that they absolutely suck in F2P.
PROS: You nearly always win death matches. Problem is, you will never get a death match (except with other full rune noobs)
CONS: Past level 80, you will meet a lot of pures with 99 range. Your full rune will be utterly useless. FUll rune is both expensive and heavy; it costs 180k (more than you should be risking for crappy F2P drops) and weighs a lot. Good luck running away or chasing someone down. You hit low rune scimitar strikes, and everyone will either refuse to fight you or ask you to take of your armor (which utterly defeats the point of bringing it.
EFFECTIVENESS RATING: 3/10

TANK:
Tanks are mostly range based, with very high defence and decent range level. They are most effective in members pking, where they can do quite high damage while in Barrows armor.
STATS:
40 Attack
x Strength (as high as possible, but probably not very high)
40+ Defence, usually around 70ish
1 or Prayer for all the Protection Prayers as well as the EAGLE EYE prayer, 15% bonus to range attack damage.)
PROS: You win every death match, hands down. You have comparitively high sustained damage for a character of your level and you really can't die.
CONS: No one will fight you. You lack a finishing attack as the high defence ensures that your strength is low, which means that your maximum rune 2h hit is low as well.
EFFECTIVENESS RATING: 4.5/10

This was a quick summary of the pure types there are out there. Of course, there are more but I did not list them because I have not seen them in action that much, or they are simply impractical in F2P even if they are great in P2P (ie Obby Mauler, 1 attack is just not practical). Magic was not mentioned because frankly, magic is crap. There is no good magic armor and the max hit is 160. The longest bind is also only 5 seconds :(

WHAT IS THIS RUNE 2H AND KOING YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT?

I've been talking so much about rune 2hs beforehand that I sound like I'm trying to sell everyone at SRL a rune 2h. I'll explain. Unless you are doing death matches (which aren't much fun IMHO), you need some way to kill you opponent quickly. Pures are all about this, they will never win a fight of endurance thus they stack strength level, which means they can do ridiciously high rune 2h attacks. The rune 2h is important as once players reach a suitably low health (assuming the are not safing) you can quickly pull out this awesome weapon of death and deal quite high damage (up to 3/7 of their health) and kill them before they can eat again. Rune 2hing is largely luck, in pure fights the winner largely depends on which pure manages to land a lucky rune 2h hit. The method of KOing is fairly limited in F2P, but you could however try the Gravite 2h Sword or the Corrupt Dragon BattleAxe. THe Gravite 2H sword is the better of these two, as it only requires 45 attack as opposed to 60 of the Corrupt Dragon BattleAxe, plus, it still hits higher. Yet they are both impractical because of their extremely high costs and their degradability. The Dragon BattleAxe, at 4.5M (now, but it's currently dropping price fast) lasts only 15 minutes before you need to buy a new one, making it a huge money drain. The gravite 2h sword requires collecting Dungenoneering tokens until level 63, and if you lose it you will need to train 650,000 MORE DUNGONEERING XP! This makes the gravite 2h sword extremely impractical if you were to not use item protect. Thus, the rune 2h is the all around best koing tool, though if you want you can use the other two. If you use these two weapons, assume I'm talking about them when I talk about Rune 2hs, I do it out of convienence.

TRAINING:

I will cover mostly training through botting methods. SRL :)

Levels 1-20

Chickens, Cows. They provide great xp/hour and money for a starting character too. However, be warned of competition and a high likelihood that some noob will report you ending your Runescape career prematurely.

Levels 10-60

Corpse Mages. Note that this requires completing THE BLOOD PACT to access, which GIVES 2 DEFENSE. Don't let this be a inhibiter even if you are training a level 1 defense pure, as they have a max hit of only one, so as long as you wear some form of leather, they will never hurt you which makes them some of the best monsters to train on. Additionally, they drop 40 bronze arrows and air staves which is great money and items for any low level. This place is usually populated with bots, so Jagex may be paying attention to it. I highly reccomend this.

Levels 30-70

StrongHold of Security minoutars and goblins. This is great xp and allows you to stockpile iron arrows, however, don't expect to last here long on a one defense pure, your food will be depleted in about an hour or less.

Levels 40-126

Lesser Demon in Wizard's Tower. There is a captive lesser demon in a cage which you are free to range or mage. Harry has a great script for this in Public Scripts, I highly suggest you use it, it's great for slinging once you have about 50 range. (Thanks!) However, you are cooped up in a small room with about 3 other people who are attacking the demon as well, so they will try to talk to you and likely report you if they believe you are a bot. Get an autoresponder if you wish to bot here.

Levels 45-126

Stronghold of Security Flesh Crawlers. These are great as they have a max hit of only 16, and they will always attack you for about 15 mintues regardless of your level (After 15 minutes you have to run out of the area and return for them to become aggresive again). However, I would only reccomend this to 40 defence (20 defence is a little iffy) because despite their low hits, they hit fast and accurately. You don't even have to bot, you can train for 15 minutes AFK, and most of the players are AFKing so they will not speak to you. However, it is very crowded here.

GENERAL GUIDE TO PKING:

As a pker, try not to be cheap. Eating tuna instead of lobsters or swordfish could cost you your life. You should always bring a strength pot so to better increase your chances of a KO, and use prayers when necessary (ie flip on strength prayer when going for the KO and turn off when not). Try not to safe, players will not fight safers and while it makes the fight less risky for you, you will eventually not get fights and it ruins the thrill :/. Generally, safing is eating above 50% health or eating more than 50+ points of damage than the other players max hit, so you can adjust your health you eat to the opponent. However, don't eat TOO low. Always do your best to eat above their maximum rune2h hit, and don't be foolish by taking risks of not eating below their maximum hit (that is, unless you think you have a good chance of killing them if you didn't eat) and ignore them if they call you a safer. Essentially, just trying to eat above their max and below what would be considered "safing" for the most fun and adrenaline rush! In order to kill people, time you attacks. Once you have them at a sufficent enough health, time you next moves. You should land another attack with your primary weapon, and just as you see the animation, pull out your finishing weapon of choice. If timed correctly, the two hits will land nearly instaneously and if you get a lucky rune 2h attack, you will likely kill your opponent. Congradulations!

In conclusion, I wish you all a happy holidays and good luck with your pures. I will have mine all set up and ready once the Wilderness arrives :). Also, sorry if this wasn't the short guide you guys were looking for, just my way to contribute in some way (still learning scripting) :P

EvilChicken!
12-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Cute guide, nice read; tanks. Rep+ from me. :)

So, are range/2H-pures really as good as you say?

final_result
12-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks, I'm glad you liked this!

Yes, they are, as far as my knowledge goes, quite good. I have a level 50 that I play on, currently I have about a 3:1 kill/death ratio on it and I've fought a lot of them on my other rune pure.

Heavenzeyez1
12-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Yea, range 2h pures are the s***! :)
I found it very interesting to read!
Rep + from me also! :)

~Eerik.

Singleshot
12-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Very nice!, much appreciated. I will have to get round to making a pure to get ready for the new wilderness
+rep :)

JPHamlett
12-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Very nice!, much appreciated. I will have to get round to making a pure to get ready for the new wilderness
+rep :)

Correction old wilderness, but nice read will make a pure.

Anyone wanna make a clan?

P1nky
12-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Cute guide, nice read; tanks. Rep+ from me. :)

So, are range/2H-pures really as good as you say?

range and g2h = own...

from my experience i'm 91 str and 99 range... since dung came out g2h just has been pounding me in F2P (even though F2P is lame.. at drops and pking wise). but if your planning to become a f2p pker, get range and strength high along with 64 Dung.

final_result
12-29-2010, 03:57 AM
range and g2h = own...

from my experience i'm 91 str and 99 range... since dung came out g2h just has been pounding me in F2P (even though F2P is lame.. at drops and pking wise). but if your planning to become a f2p pker, get range and strength high along with 64 Dung.

I've heard a lot of good things about gravite 2h sword as well, however I haven't gotten around to getting one because Dungeoneering is IMHO a difficult skill to level F2P.

CaptainCraven
02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for this guide, I was going to make a strenght pure but now i know beter. you saved me hours of time, thanks

Echo_
02-05-2011, 12:57 AM
You can actually get up to rune gloves on an initiate pure, nature spirit gets you 13 defense.