PDA

View Full Version : C++ compilers for windows.

Main
01-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Can any one suggest me some good C++ compilers that are not microsoft visual studio and its free? I just find visual studio soo glitchy and annoying with their own library.

Nava2
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Mingw is the windows gnu compiler. It's pretty much industry standard for C/C++. It uses the gcc compiler to compile windows binaries and is based off of current C standards.

www.mingw.org

anonymity
01-27-2011, 09:55 PM
This is one of the ones I used to use: Bloodshed Dev CPP < http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html >.

I don't think it is managed much anymore, but back when I used it it was fine. My school provides all versions of VS for free, so I don't use too many other ones right now.

Wizzup?
01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
This is one of the ones I used to use: Bloodshed Dev CPP < http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html >.

I don't think it is managed much anymore, but back when I used it it was fine. My school provides all versions of VS for free, so I don't use too many other ones right now.

Dev-CPP uses MinGW, afaik.

Feroc1ty
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
MinGW.

Frement
01-29-2011, 08:16 PM
MSVC++, I do not recommend using Dev-CPP, it does not compile the same way as MSVC++ for some reason, some programs that have been compiled with MSVC++, show errors in syntax with Dev-CPP, I used Dev-CPP before, but switched to MSVC++ because everyone on #C++ said its better to use as it usually compiles everyone elses code.

Wizzup?
01-29-2011, 09:33 PM
MSVC++, I do not recommend using Dev-CPP, it does not compile the same way as MSVC++ for some reason, some programs that have been compiled with MSVC++, show errors in syntax with Dev-CPP, I used Dev-CPP before, but switched to MSVC++ because everyone on #C++ said its better to use as it usually compiles everyone elses code.

That is one of the silliest statement I've heard in quite some time.
MSVC will never compile more code because:

It is limited to Windows.
It has some weird syntax changes compared to GNU GCC, the de facto compiler for all other platforms. (Which has been ported to Windows, see MinGW)

MSVC++ only compiles code written for MSVC++.

Main
01-30-2011, 02:37 PM
i couldn't get mingw to work, probably because am a noob. I installed but where do i find the cmd to compile codes?? is the the normal run>cmd?

Frement
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
That is one of the silliest statement I've heard in quite some time.[/list]

MSVC++ only compiles code written for MSVC++.

Maybe I wrote it badly, someone told me that at #C++