PDA

View Full Version : Stats anonymous user

Bixby Sayz
03-30-2011, 01:37 AM
I just know this is a dumb question, but never hurts to ask.

I see Anonymous is the top user on SRL Stats. If a user leaves their stats info blank and the script commits will that automatically commit as anonymous? Or do you have to explicitly put anonymous in your script as the stats user?

Tried searching this site but came up empty looking for an answer.

HarryJames
03-30-2011, 01:39 AM
I know that Harry does this, it where I stole acquired the idea from. It's a good way to stop lazy people's (or those who do not simply care) stat time from being wasted!

kitchenrange
03-30-2011, 02:04 AM
It may be that he had that user set up and puts that users info automatically in his script.

Iirc, we used to not allow this?

Bixby Sayz
03-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Guess he is putting it in his script then. I'll see if he minds if I nick his dummy stats user.

HarryJames
03-30-2011, 02:08 AM
As long as you don't abuse it, there shouldn't be a problem.

Bixby Sayz
03-30-2011, 02:10 AM
It never hurts to be polite and ask first. Saves on sore toes later on.

IPwnz
03-30-2011, 02:11 AM
I know that Harry does this, it where I stole acquired the idea from. It's a good way to stop lazy people's (or those who do not simply care) stat time from being wasted!

I do this in my script too, and I got the idea from Harry as well. :P

Sex
03-30-2011, 02:13 AM
It may be that he had that user set up and puts that users info automatically in his script.

Iirc, we used to not allow this?
Correct. This was not allowed back in the days of the old stats...

Harry
03-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Wizzup said he didn't really care (if I recall correctly, asked a while ago on IRC). It shouldn't really be a problem as long as people don't abuse it, and IPs could be tracked easily.

HarryJames
03-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Harry, it works with commits, right? So it would be easy to see who has put in 1 million trout fished (for example).

Smartzkid
03-30-2011, 02:41 AM
It would be really nice if everyone used the same username for this - IE if user 'anonymous' had a sticky w/ username and password for script writers to use.

It's kind of annoying to see XYZDefault or AnonymouseQWERTY in the middle of the stats.

Sex
03-30-2011, 02:54 AM
Or Wiz could hardcode an Anonymous user that has no password and wouldn't be able to be logged into etc.

Smartzkid
03-30-2011, 03:10 AM
That would be wonderful! (and perhaps ignore that user in the overall stats list? Nobody has any chance of topping it...)

Sex
03-30-2011, 03:11 AM
That would be wonderful! (and perhaps ignore that user in the overall stats list? Nobody has any chance of topping it...)
Yep, sounds good.

Coh3n
03-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Wizzup told me a while ago he wrote it to require a username/password for stats to be added because he didn't want just anyone to be able to add to it.

I guess if everyone's doing it, and Wizzup doesn't mind, I may add this "Anonymous" to MSI by default. It'd be nice to know the actual running time and not just from the people who sign up for stats.

Wizzup?
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Wizzup told me a while ago he wrote it to require a username/password for stats to be added because he didn't want just anyone to be able to add to it.

I guess if everyone's doing it, and Wizzup doesn't mind, I may add this "Anonymous" to MSI by default. It'd be nice to know the actual running time and not just from the people who sign up for stats.

Exactly. The Anonymous account can last as long as it is not abused. As soon as it is abused, it's simply game over for anonymous accounts. Enjoy it while it lasts, I don't think it will last that long. I don't really mind it for the time being. To be honest, the system is slowing down a bit now that we've already passed 250k commits... :p

kitchenrange
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Why would anyone abuse it? And what kind of abuse would be a problem?

HarryJames
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Why would anyone abuse it? And what kind of abuse would be a problem?

Why would anybody abuse something in Minecraft?
Why would people abuse any exploit that affects people?

There's usually no reason, except for 'lols' or fame. You're not gonna get famous for doing this one though :3

Zyt3x
03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Why would anybody abuse something in Minecraft?
Why would people abuse any exploit that affects people?

There's usually no reason, except for 'lols' or fame. You're not gonna get famous for doing this one though :3Well, they'll achieve nothing, what-so-ever by abusing the account

Yago
03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Yup but there's always idiots out there who would do anything for a laugh.

Smartzkid
03-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Exactly. The Anonymous account can last as long as it is not abused. As soon as it is abused, it's simply game over for anonymous accounts. Enjoy it while it lasts, I don't think it will last that long. I don't really mind it for the time being. To be honest, the system is slowing down a bit now that we've already passed 250k commits... :p

Why's it slowing down?

Wizzup?
03-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Why's it slowing down?

The more commits, the more operations it has to perform every time... It calculates all those values based on all the commits.

Frement
03-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Make an automated updating of records? So it doesn't update them so often?

Sgt Soul
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
isn't the account there just so scripts don't miss out on counting up the minutes in the great race to being number 1? as a lot of people might not use SRL stats, how would this be abused as such?

Smartzkid
03-31-2011, 10:01 AM
The more commits, the more operations it has to perform every time... It calculates all those values based on all the commits.

Is it possible to create a daily 'baseline' value that could be calculated from?

Wizzup?
03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Make an automated updating of records? So it doesn't update them so often?

This is not viable. We're talking about everything. Not just time by a user; also all variables; variables per script, variables per user; variables per user and script. Plus, it would also not automatically update then, like the ranks at the moment. I can look into some default caching solutions, but it will not solve the problem indefinitely.

Is it possible to create a daily 'baseline' value that could be calculated from?

Not really, see above. My solution will probably be to move commits older than X months to another table which will not be used by default; only to generate some old-time statistics. This would also us to show more ``recent'' stats. IOW, you can't be on top for more than X months if you don't commit in those X months since commits will be ``pruned'' to the other table. And you don't really lose any stats; they just don't show on the normal site.

Smartzkid
03-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Perhaps a total time on each user's stats page, and per-month time on the all-users page?

Wizzup?
03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Perhaps a total time on each user's stats page, and per-month time on the all-users page?

I've increased the MySQL cache to 256MB, (was 32MB) it seems to be a bit better now.