PDA

View Full Version : I Think I've Overclocked? Is this safe?

YoHoJo
04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
So I don't know very much at all about overclocking, just followed some guides and stuff.... :/

Can someone tell me based on my CPU-Z what my processor speed in Ghz and RAM in mhz are?

http://i.imgur.com/uFJsX.png

Also, if I have overclocked, besides temps, what else should I be checking/tests should I be doing/programs to run in order to make sure it's all safe and working well?

Capricorn
04-03-2011, 08:44 AM
3.5 ghz, 1.67 ghz (though RAM frequency I have never seen it measured in ghz, only mhz)

For tests you should be running anything that will stress your CPU out to 100%. I think Prime95 is good - run it for like 8 hours over night. If you come back and your computer hasn't crashed you are good :)

YoHoJo
04-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Hmm I guess I did everything properly then.
It's a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T rated at 2.8Ghz, it's now at 3.5Ghz and 28C with STOCK sink, so I guess it's all good! I'll run some stress tests tomorrow!

Now I'm getting interested in this all and want to try and get my ram to 1866/2000MHz :]!

Overtime
04-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I advise to get a aftermarket heatsink as that may not last long enough.

Some motherboards have temperature readings in certain spots. If they get to hot capacitors start blowing up. But i know that CPU is made to go higher, just depends on your setup and how cool it can run.

Capricorn
04-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I advise to get a aftermarket heatsink as that may not last long enough.

Some motherboards have temperature readings in certain spots. If they get to hot capacitors start blowing up. But i know that CPU is made to go higher, just depends on your setup and how cool it can run.

Do you expect him to put the heatsink on the capacitors?

YoHoJo
04-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Hmm really? Different areas and temps and stuff, makes sense.

Well, the temps I CAN read are all really great for an overclock I'd say!
I'm feeling pretty safe at least, my case is just AIR cooled, but it has like 4 fans (one HUGE one) so I think I'll be fine.

CPU 28C
Motherboard 29C
Hard Drive 27C

This was so easy just followed a youtube vid and everything seems cool and stable to me! Hope I don't experience any problems later/did something wrong.

noidea
04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Hmm really? Different areas and temps and stuff, makes sense.

Well, the temps I CAN read are all really great for an overclock I'd say!
I'm feeling pretty safe at least, my case is just AIR cooled, but it has like 4 fans (one HUGE one) so I think I'll be fine.

CPU 28C
Motherboard 29C
Hard Drive 27C

This was so easy just followed a youtube vid and everything seems cool and stable to me! Hope I don't experience any problems later/did something wrong.

Yes, but the issue is how high do your temps go when your system is under extreme stress? Run prim95 for a while (couple of hours).

YoHoJo
04-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah I'll do that today. So just keep it running it's test and watch my temps, I did it for a few minutes before and it got to 46Cish, I'll run it again for longer, what temp do you think I should just stop the test at? Around high 50s?

Also, since my computer is never actually at FULL LOAD (When I run test it brings my CPU to 99%) I should be fine roit?

noidea
04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah I'll do that today. So just keep it running it's test and watch my temps, I did it for a few minutes before and it got to 46Cish, I'll run it again for longer, what temp do you think I should just stop the test at? Around high 50s?

Also, since my computer is never actually at FULL LOAD (When I run test it brings my CPU to 99%) I should be fine roit?

Do not let it go abover 59c. Damage can happen to AMD cpu's in the 60s. High 50s is also frowned upon.

You mean you're testing with prime95? Are you using as many threads as cores in your processor?

Overclock.net is a great site.

Overtime
04-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Do you expect him to put the heatsink on the capacitors?

Yes actually.

http://motherboards-reviews.com/motherboards/ECS/P55H-AK/ECS_P55H-AK_SOCKET_1156_heatsinks.jpg

You can put heat sinks near capacitors so it can help ventilate heat out.

and yohojo you need to run prime95 for at least 24 hours. Because it may crash after 12 hours or after 8 hours. The point is, that if it can handle 100% for 24 hours then it can handle 8 hours,12 hours, etc. Then after that you know that okay my system can handle it, maybe i can up it a notch. because after all overclocking is trying to get as much juice out of your system while keeping it stable :D

YoHoJo
04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, when would I ever even be at 100% for 8+ hours anyways?!
Also what if when testing temps get too high or something, will comp just crash/turn itself off?

Overtime
04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I know that you will never be at 100% with your cpu but thats the point of testing. Because if it can handle 100% for 24 hours then it should handle 25-65% no problem for 24 hours. You always want to overload it to see if it can handle. Because you dont want to be running 3.9ghz and you havent done a 100% test on it, then one day your computer reaches 80% on it and it crashes on the middle of a 5k line script that you were working on :P

hehe. There is a lot of things that can happen when it gets to hot.

It may crash, or it may not, sometimes they blow up. But thats rare cases.

Don’t rush overclocking

What ever you do, never rush when overclocking your CPU.
New patients need time and people tend to get bored quickly and take the biggest leap when overclocking your CPU.
This can only end in damaging their CPU’s.
To remove the u200b u200btuo time.

I do not live too fast, the greatest danger is in overclocking the CPU to increase the voltage.
Always up the voltage by one step.
Once you do that, carry on the , the need to overclock the CPU more power and if the temperatures are good, then the voltage one step and only one.

Do not overclock until you are sure that your have made CPU fan works always make sure that the cooling system is fully operational.
It sounds silly I know but I’ve known people who have overclocked and their CPU’s fan wasn’t working at all.
This is a sure way to blow up your CPU.
So make sure that all your cooling is working before you overclock your CPU.
So remember, keep all of the above in mind, if CPU overclock.
Some of you may think that some of these are obvious but slipping up on just one of these can potentially blow your CPU sky high!

I follow that guide when i wanted to OC

grats
04-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Well, when would I ever even be at 100% for 8+ hours anyways?!
Also what if when testing temps get too high or something, will comp just crash/turn itself off?

yea, computer just shuts itself down after a certain temp.. I think intel i5 shuts down at like 90C?

Overtime
04-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Yea by default in most bios, they shut down at a certain temp. You can change what temp you want it to shutdown at.

But most overclockers disable it so they can push the CPU to its full potential and sometimes that leads to blown up cpu's.

YoHoJo
04-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah I saw that in BIOS, I'll stop it at just 55 maybe. :p
I'm going to use some of the programs from this guide too:
http://www.sevenforums.com/overclocking-case-mods/6030-how-am2-am2-am3-phenom-phenomii-overclocking-guide.html

rogeruk
04-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Go for 3.7 GHz.
Could push for 3.9 or 4 GHz ;)

It goes to 3.3 GHz in turbo mode? So you've not got alot out of your overclock

YoHoJo
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah I've heard about it going to 3.3 on trubo, not sure if it actually ever did that though.
Yeah this was my first time doing anything like this, and it was easy so I did it :].
I'll definitely look into more later, but honestly I'm just fine with the power I have now, and I'd also need a better sink before trying anything higher.

noidea
04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes actually.

[save space img]http://motherboards-reviews.com/motherboards/ECS/P55H-AK/ECS_P55H-AK_SOCKET_1156_heatsinks.jpg[/img]

You can put heat sinks near capacitors so it can help ventilate heat out.

No thats not going to work the way your telling us. Those heatsinks on things like the MOSFETS. They absorb the heat and dissipate it into the air around the heatsink. This heats up the air near the capacitors. The heatsinks will also block air flow in that area further preventing them from cooling.

rogeruk
04-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah I've heard about it going to 3.3 on trubo, not sure if it actually ever did that though.
Yeah this was my first time doing anything like this, and it was easy so I did it :].
I'll definitely look into more later, but honestly I'm just fine with the power I have now, and I'd also need a better sink before trying anything higher.

http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/w0176157_normal.jpg
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176157

This is what i use (bit older and a dif socket lol).

Get some good thermal paste too.

Overtime
04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

one of the best fan coolers out.