PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft office inclusion c++

playah8tah
04-28-2011, 03:43 PM
So i have this project where I have a excel spreadsheet (.xls) and I need an easy way to read the file and calculate values from the contents of the file. My original idea was to convert the file from .xls to .csv; this would make it a lot easier to read the file, however I feel that if im taking enough time to learn how to implement the use of the application's functions, i might as well learn how to use it to it's fullest potential. I've looked at some sites that introduce office automation, but it's hard to implement example code into a project. Especially when the code i'm looking at isn't written to cater to beginners.

Has anyone used this kind of stuff before and could you provide some assistance if you have? thanks hehe

HarryJames
04-28-2011, 04:16 PM
I'd suggest turning it into a CSV first, and then getting that to work ~ You have to learn to walk before you can swim :P

Mind showing us the spreadsheet, or atleast a field and the titles :)

playah8tah
04-29-2011, 02:49 PM
well we haven't actually made one yet... it's supposed to be a spreadsheet with a list of grades for a student. The problem is that I still don't understand how to convert the sheet to a csv list. I believe it's as simple as accessing the "saveas" function of the program and then creating a temporary file that the program will have access to.